Celebrating real foods

Hotpepper20000

Ooh, that chicken sounds awesome, @Hotpepper20000

I’ve had a ginormous pork chop for lunch. Brined in water, pink salt, garlic, chilli flakes, thyme and a bit of lemon salt. Then seared before air frying. Delicious.

View attachment 48649
We have lemon pepper here but Can’t find lemon salt. You have inspired me to make some. I think this would be a great staple on most meats.
I’m thinking lemon rind dried and ground up and mixed with some pink salt.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An Easter treat here of a whole salmon. Used 1 filleted side to stuff with cucumber and mustard (and 1 spoon of honey). Then baked and served with extra of the cucumber mix blitzed with some ff greek to make a sauce.
The original recipe had the whole thing encroute (in pastry) but I just bake it in foil or paper as the healthier option. About 45-60 minutes at 180.
A side serves 6 generously, easily doubled for more.

The rest of the salmon is portioned and frozen except for all the odd bits which the cats are enjoying.

Reactions: Speedbird

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 meals today but I had a tough PT session so feel I deserved some extra calories.
Breakfast was 2 scrambled eggs, 50g smoked salmon and about 1/4 avocado.
Lunch: found yesterday’s half eaten chicken salad in the fridge. Tried to make it more entertaining by adding bacon and a dollop of coleslaw but still didn’t enjoy it much.
Dinner: more bacon! With cauli cheese and a glass of red, some 0%Fage Gk yoghurt with a tablespoon mixed seeds to follow.

I’m with you on the 0% yoghurt @Goonergal and it doesn’t have an untoward effect on my tum which the high fat one does.

Reactions: Goonergal

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We made a 2kg batch of beef burglars last night, each around 250g, with a good amount of crumbled stilton inside each.
6 for the freezer, 2 eaten there and then.

I think Mr B rather enjoyed handling the mince and moulding it like playdough. :D

I want to make minted lam burglars next.

Hotpepper20000

@Brunneria those burgers sound delicious!!! Thanks for the idea.

Last night was cod loin baked on top of leek, zucchini and peppers.
Tonight it’s minced Turkey thigh cooked with various Mexican seasonings and added to lettuce, avocado, homemade salsa and cheese.

Reactions: Brunneria

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a chicken day yesterday. Leftover Nando’s thighs late morning - they’re fab heated for 5 minutes in the air fryer. Stay moist and skin goes crispy again.

Then as I was tired, picked up a rotisserie chicken from a local shop for dinner and ate about half of that.

Oh and there was plenty of yoghurt eaten too.

Today I have a choice of bavette steak, mince/eggs and cold chicken. It’s a hard life.

Reactions: Brunneria

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the mince and eggs (with a few onions) won for lunch. And I managed not to break any of the yolks! Dinner was a few bits of cold chicken and a pickled onion.

C64663E6-96F2-4158-AA3D-F2BDED5ED860.jpeg

Hotpepper20000

Tonight it’s spatchcock peri-peri Chicken. and because Mr Hotpepper isn’t home that’s all I’m having while watching TV. :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Roast veal shoulder today, with a rare vegetable side of cauliflower cheese. Huge portion for lunch - a sizeable chunk of the meat found its way back to the kitchen and was eaten for dinner. Fage yoghurt for dessert.

2C3C25CE-A7BB-4A2E-AAF6-B45F12D74631.jpeg

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Roast veal shoulder today, with a rare vegetable side of cauliflower cheese. Huge portion for lunch - a sizeable chunk of the meat found its way back to the kitchen and was eaten for dinner. Fage yoghurt for dessert.

View attachment 48838

That veal looks fabulous! I’ve not long finished dinner but I feel hungry again looking at that.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That veal looks fabulous! I’ve not long finished dinner but I feel hungry again looking at that.

It was pretty good. Would cook it more slowly next time - was far too hungry for that today.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the thread @Judit0514

Scored a yellow stickered half leg of lamb in Asda yesterday. It made a wonderful slow roast today, coated with lemon salt, rosemary, paprika and garlic granules. Stuck some onions in with stock leftover from previous creations. Turned into a passable gravy with no extra effort. Meltingly tender.

B94314CF-1546-4032-8430-78BC88783C24.jpeg
8E09CD07-6F17-420B-AAD5-7CFB766E2C12.jpeg

Reactions: DJC3 and MrsA2

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love sauerkraut with onions, chicken, red paprika, garlic and sour cream.

I’ve recently developed a taste for sauerkraut and kimchi. I love it with scrambled eggs which my daughter says is a very odd combination, but I think it’s very good.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve recently developed a taste for sauerkraut and kimchi. I love it with scrambled eggs which my daughter says is a very odd combination, but I think it’s very good.
Have you found a source of reasonably priced kimchi?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Massive amounts of protein today. Ted Naiman would be impressed.
Long dog walk in the morning fuelled by black coffee, then a very hard PT session in the park - all upper body work. Felt quite sick afterwards really, but stuck a couple of small chicken breasts wrapped in bacon in the air fryer.
When I felt a bit better I ate both of them ( one was supposed to be for tomorrow) with some salad leaves, including pennywort I’d foraged in the morning walk.
Dinner barely 3 hrs later was an 8oz ribeye with Halloumi fries and more salad dressed with olive oil.
Red wine with it.
I don’t think I’ll need to eat for a week.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not happy:

Found a pack of Moo Grob in the freezer.
Yay! Air fried it with drooling anticipation, but it was freezer burnt and I threw it away. :(

Happy:
Made a rather nice pork stew last night, inspired but not copied from an Interweb recipe.
Basically 2.2kg of diced pork shoulder steaks, a couple of small parsnips (for Mr B), 3 red bell peppers and a diced onion.
Was surprised how much I enjoyed the flavours, then tweaked with seasonings and onion powder (the onion powder acts as a thickener).

Lots of portions. Ate 1, refrigerated 2, froze 4.