This evening I tested my non-diabetic wife . . . I had a lower postprandial than she had

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So you didn't count calories or restrict the amount of food you ate to lose weight, you simply followed low carb (less than 130g). Weight loss without dieting. :) I too use digital scales to check on the amount of carbs I consume. :)

Very well done on achieving remission without starving yourself. :)
@zand I was similar in that my mother was T2 diabetic so, in the early days, I assumed low fat, no sugar, whole meal everything was the way to control my diabetes as she had tried to until I researched for information, found this forum and cut down on carbs although I still average approx 130g per day. I did manage to lose weight but not much. Accordingly to an endo I saw about 40 years ago I have a very efficient metabolism and unstable thyroid and have struggled to lose weight since my teens as dropping too many calories makes me ill so I probably only lost 2.5 stone since diagnosis but it became easier to lose weight once my thyroid decided to make up its mind ie underactive and I was finally started on medication - up until that point for approx 35 years it was either under, over or ok but, luckily, my then GP insisted on testing it every 6 months. I probably average a weight loss of 3-4 lb a year now if I’m lucky! I may have also been lucky in that my hba1c was 48 on diagnosis so only just on the cusp of diabetes but increased significantly thanks to statins.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at the levels in your signature, maybe you were low enough to effectively do a prediabetic reversal of T2? You started early enough in the process so your body could reverse the metabolic syndrome?

I was 47 years old at diagnosis, seems a typical enough age judging from others on this site.
I probably had been symptomatic for 18 months prior to diagnosis.

Levels must have been high for a while as my first eye scan picked up background retinopathy in one eye.
I've also had self diagnosed neuropathy in my thigh & feet.
All of the above have been resolved in the year post remission.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but I have seen so many posts on here about how well lowering carbs as works that I can see it is a way that works. If weight drop works for some that’s good too

but it’s not a means of “my way is the only way”... if different ways work, then great
Agreed entirely there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

I personally strongly believe that type2 is actually far too broad a group of various types of diabetes in terms of what has caused it and what will help. I was simply making the point that weight loss early after diagnosis isn’t a magic bullet for everyone, as I and several others can attest to, although yes it does definitely seem to work for others.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was simply making the point that weight loss early after diagnosis isn’t a magic bullet for everyone, as I and several others can attest to, although yes it does definitely seem to work for others.
Agreed, the paths to insulin resistance are multi-varied.
Makes me wonder why academics like Prof Taylor can definitively put it down to visceral fat.
Perhaps he should clarify that in a subset of T2s that his personal fat threshold holds true.

Also there could be some who have a number of contributing factors.

Reactions: HSSS

Tannith

BANNED
The two are not mutually exclusive and there is no way (without formal testing) to know baseline levels of beta function and what they are after the target weight loss.

Speaking from personal experience (details in signature), 16% of body weight lost in 6 months is both fast and significant. 42% lost in 18 months even more so. HbA1c at non-diabetic numbers, but carbs even in small amounts are a problem.

My question is, would losing the same weight in a less sustainable manner (I am still eating ketogenically 4 years later) have had a different outcome? No way to tell.

Routes to weight loss/non-diabetic numbers (where possible) are personal choices so let’s not pretend that anyone has the ‘correct’ or ‘only’ way.
"there is no way (without formal testing) to know baseline levels of beta function and what they are after the target weight loss." I think that an OGT is a reliable way to test beta cell function, as if the beta cells weren't working properly you would not be able to get normal results. My OGT is improving since I started (re-started) a low calorie diet of 1000 cals, though it is still not quite down as far as non diabetic level - it is at the bottom of pre diabetic level. However, at the start it was just into the diabetic range. Obviously lab tests would be better but are unavailable to most of us. By contrast HBA1c may not necessarily reflect improvement in beta cell function as it could drop solely because the person was eating less sugar rather than because their Beta Cells were recovering and processing the same amount of sugar better.
Normal Results

Normal blood values for a 75 gram OGTT used to check for type 2 diabetes in those who are not pregnant:

Fasting -- 60 to 100 mg/dL (3.3 to 5.5 mmol/L)

1 hour -- Less than 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L)

2 hours -- This value is used to make the diagnosis of diabetes.

• Less than 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L).
  • Between 141mg/dL and 200 mg/dL (7.8 to 11.1 mmol/L) is considered impaired glucose tolerance.
  • Above 200 mg/dl (11.1mmol/L) is diagnostic of diabetes.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My OGT is improving since I started (re-started) a low calorie diet of 1000 cals, though it is still not quite down as far as non diabetic level - it is at the bottom of pre diabetic level. However, at the start it was just into the diabetic range. Obviously lab tests would be better but are unavailable to most of us.

Delighted to hear you are getting better results with your OGTT method of measuring improvement.
I remember reading your earlier ventures where you stayed above the 11.1 cutoff for a few hours post cutoff.
What figures are you getting now.

Remember the Prof Taylor needed Direct follow up patients needed 12 months to maximise their second phase.
I waited 14 months post remission before I even attempted the real thing.
I found it easier & cheaper to use a repeatable carby meal to measure progress.
Mine was a simple bowl of Shreddies with milk, might as well enjoy it if you're going to spike.

Tannith

BANNED
Delighted to hear you are getting better results with your OGTT method of measuring improvement.
I remember reading your earlier ventures where you stayed above the 11.1 cutoff for a few hours post cutoff.
What figures are you getting now.

Remember the Prof Taylor needed Direct follow up patients needed 12 months to maximise their second phase.
I waited 14 months post remission before I even attempted the real thing.
I found it easier & cheaper to use a repeatable carby meal to measure progress.
Mine was a simple bowl of Shreddies with milk, might as well enjoy it if you're going to spike.
Today it was 1hr 9.9; 2hrs 8.2. 3h 6.6: 2 weeks& 4 days ago it was 1hr 10.0; 2hr 9.3 3h 7.9, so it's visibly dropping.

Reactions: Ronancastled