Alternatives to alcohol

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What sugar / carb free & non-alcoholic drinks do everyone enjoy in the evening?

I’ve decided to really cut back on my drinking habits for 2 reasons. I’m bored/ not enjoying drinking wine anymore and I’d like to loose some weight.

I’ve been in the habit of drinking in the evenings since I was 18, so I know the easiest way to replace the alcohol habit is with a new alcohol free drinking routine. I’ve gone long periods without drinking before when I’ve been pregnant but the replacements were full of sugar. Plus it’s easier to forego something when it’s to the benefit of someone else & you are being held accountable.

So what can I drink that isn’t alcohol, fizzy pop, fruit juice or (boring) water?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a habitual drinker in the evenings as well. On evenings I do not drink I sometimes drink tea or broth from a stock cube. I also like to put a slice of ginger in a glass and add hot water. It's 'different' enough to be interesting, and it has a somewhat grown up taste to me (if this is even a thing), just like alcohol has.

Wooly123

I’ve decided to really cut back on my drinking habits for 2 reasons. I’m bored/ not enjoying drinking wine anymore and I’d like to loose some weight.

I’ve been in the habit of drinking in the evenings since I was 18, so I know the easiest way to replace the alcohol habit is with a new alcohol free drinking routine. I’ve gone long periods without drinking before when I’ve been pregnant but the replacements were full of sugar. Plus it’s easier to forego something when it’s to the benefit of someone else & you are being held accountable.

So what can I drink that isn’t alcohol, fizzy pop, fruit juice or (boring) water?

Hi

I am the same in that I love a glass of wine of an evening but since lockdown I have been drinking wine every evening and I want to try to cut it down a bit for health reasons and also want to try for baby soon. I have discovered Marks and Spencer’s sugar free sparking elderflower drink. I really like it as when it’s in a flute glass looks a bit like Prosecco haha. Elderflower isn’t for everyone but I love it and tastes better than Prosecco anyway in my opinion. Hope that’s a helpful suggestion :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I swapped my beer and wine for whisky whiskey and bourbon.
Over the last couple of years I have been learning about the stuff so now can't drink the bottom of the shelf stuff like Bells Jack Daniels Famous Grouse etc. That's fuel for model airplanes.
But... I can't afford the top of the shelf stuff so I've been finding my way around the mid range stuff and finding some great booze.
I drink it neat these days or with a trickle of water.
I've also discovered that LIDL do some high quality award winning stuff around the 18 quid mark.
Perfectly good single malts and a cracking Islay that tastes of old leather tarmac tobacco and sheep ****... seriously.
There are some fantastic bottles out there.
I'm liking some fairly cheap bourbons too like Buillet and Makers Mark both 45% abv.and the way I understand things whisky vodka and full strength unflavoured gins are carb free.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some interesting ideas, thank you. I like elderflower so could def try a fake Prosecco. Hot ginger sounds good too.

JTL unfortunately I’ve never been able to get onboard with Whisky or bourbon. I used like the odd decent rum but we’re talking £40/50 bottles. Gin & vodka are nice but I’m not sure just swapping one alcohol for the other is wise for cutting consumption.

Reactions: Antje77

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any of the diet classes will tell you that wine is the worst one of all calorie wise.

Their advice if you fancy a drink is to have a spirit and a sugar free mixer. You can buy shot glasses to measure out an amount and then top up with loads of ice and your chosen mixer

I like the sugar free squashes with ice and ice cold water. And yes elderflower cordial is nice

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I can't remember the details at the moment but there's something about spirits dropping you sugar levels.

Reactions: Wooly123

Wooly123

I can't remember the details at the moment but there's something about spirits dropping you sugar levels.

This is so true. I love a gin and diet tonic but if I have more than 2 of an evening I can expect to be up all night with hypo after hypo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can we get back on topic please?
You are all free to start threads on alcoholic drinks, but TashT1 was specifically asking about enjoyable, low carb NON-ALCOHOLIC drinks she can enjoy because she wants to cut back on alcohol.

Discussing alcoholic drinks on a thread by someone who wants to cut back on drinking is not supportive.
Any further posts discussing alcoholic drinks will be deleted.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Antje77 I’m sure no harm was meant but I appreciate your support.

I tried the M&S sparkling elderflower, very nice for the first glass but then weirdly started to taste like peppermint ‍♀️
I keep forgetting to buy some fresh ginger so will have to try that next.

But I have managed 2 nights off the booze this week in anticipation of a heavier weekend for my birthday. Ideally I’d like to reduce my alcohol consumption to 2 or 3 nights a week, so shall see how it goes for the next few weeks.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

I’ve decided to really cut back on my drinking habits for 2 reasons. I’m bored/ not enjoying drinking ;) anymore and I’d like to loose some weight.

There are A LOT of alcohol free spirits on the market now.

https://www-independent-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/spirits/best-low-alcohol-free-spirits-vodka-gin-b1777595.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA==#aoh=16185752331218&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/spirits/best-low-alcohol-free-spirits-vodka-gin-b1777595.html

Have a good look around your fave supermarket next time you're out shopping.
I know that Sainsbury's stock a few lines so I would assume the others do as well.
Failing that, I buy whisky from Amazon now, you know, for days when I'm too drunk to drive, just have it delivered! ;)

Reactions: TashT1

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I may have to invest in a bottle alco-free spirits. Low alcohol wine is always awful, cider & beer have the same carb/sugar problem.

There’s only one way to find out if zero alcohol gin is my thing

Reactions: urbanracer

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Sorry about that not thinking.

Reactions: Antje77