Momenta diabetes prevention prediabetes course

padulica

I have just started a prediabetes work shop run for the NHS by Momenta
I have received all the info today and am quite disappointed with it .
1)They are advocating the eat well plate . I know if I had are with all the carbs on that plate I would be type 2 now not just prediabetes.
2)it promotes having meals and snacks ( the snacks can be up to 300 calories and have 2 a day )
3)healthy breakfast consists of weetabix , crumpets, amongst others .
Has anybody else done this work shop ?

Reactions: Omar51

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No, but it sounds very much like the one I declined. Instead I sat through over 20 mins of a dietician criticising low carb and telling me to eat more carbs in spite of my improved cholesterol readings as well as dropping from T2 to prediabetic levels in 2 months. I gave her info about my high fibre low carb breakfast and the quantity of green veg I was eating but it was a waste of time.
I'd heard they revamped the course to improve it after NICE agreed that low carb works, but this sounds like you got the old-style version.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked up Momenta and they seem to be a consultancy type company.
"Professional contingent resource and services company operating in the Financial Services, Legal, Technology and Training & Development sectors."
So presumably they don't have any medical expertise and are just presenting an NHS course. Seems to be a complete waste of taxpayers money. Even the DESMOND course I went on advised against snacks and suggested limiting carbs.

andromache

This is depressing to read. Obviously you're clued-up and will make your own decisions, but most people on the course probably don't have your knowledge. The wonderful work of Dr David Unwin and others is starting to make a difference, but the NHS, (and the shoal of companies who feed off it) it is like a massive oil tanker - very slow to change course. :-( I just hope that many of your fellow participants find their way on here.

padulica

I will stick with the course but I can’t bring myself to do a lot of the advice . The person that takes it stated she wasn’t medically trained or otherwise so I will see what is said when we talk about diet .
I do intermittent fasting, low carb and eat full fat products . Only reason why I have gone over into prediabetes the level being 43 is that during lockdown I have had potatoes, rice , chocolate and wine . I agree about the other people on the course I will pass info on about this site

Zedowie

I started the same course last week and received the information pack today. I was also confused by the advice that contradicts both David Unwin, Michael Mosley and other Health professionals. Can’t believe they are recommending low fat products which essentially rely on added sugar to give them flavour. Not sure if I will continue.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1)They are advocating the eat well plate . I know if I had are with all the carbs on that plate I would be type 2 now not just prediabetes.
2)it promotes having meals and snacks ( the snacks can be up to 300 calories and have 2 a day )
it is aimed at type 1 or type 2 diabetes?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @padulica.

Sadly seems no movement since I did Desmond's 2 1/2 years ago.

Agree fully with you

Good luck telling others .
I tried, gave out my username web address the full monty...not one came on here I am aware of. :banghead:

But all we can do is try.

Good luck.
And well done seeing the path so many miss.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Courses and classes are probably good for some, personally for me testing and keeping records help more than any thing else.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it is aimed at type 1 or type 2 diabetes?
Type 2! Us type 1s get different acronyms Bertie or Dafne which are same diet but with the emphasis on carb counting and insulin dosing...similarly useless for most experienced type 1s!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I looked up Momenta and they seem to be a consultancy type company.
"Professional contingent resource and services company operating in the Financial Services, Legal, Technology and Training & Development sectors."
So presumably they don't have any medical expertise and are just presenting an NHS course. Seems to be a complete waste of taxpayers money. Even the DESMOND course I went on advised against snacks and suggested limiting carbs.
The management people running it are tangentially connected e.g. Public Health and Health Psychology but whatever their beliefs about best clinical ways to prevent diabetes, they are going to be hamstrung but the prevailing orthodoxy of low cal and therefore low fat. That and the need to deliver multiple courses at low cost so that the CCG can tick a box saying that it has 'educated' this patient group.
I think the philosophy of this course is weight loss rather than loss of diabetes hence I doubt they get great results in the 6 months post course review if these happen!

Reactions: jjraak

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
My doctors surgery suggested a preventing Diabetes course run by X-perthealth.
This course offered suggestions including LCHF, the Mediterranean diet and low calorie for weight loss. The Eat Well plate was discussed, as a previous, but now proven ineffective way of eating for diabetes treatment.

Reactions: Jo123 and zand

padulica

Thanks for responses . I don’t understand how different areas offer courses that give different information within the same service ! Every thing is supposed to be research based. I used to work in the nhs and saw this happening regularly within different trusts ☹️

smithsj1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other

I just completed the course that was run by ICS Health (now Xyla Health) last month and yes the details that they send on the App does include the Eat well plate but I would say that our coach on the calls didn't refer to that at all but recommended a plate that was constructed in different proportions even though it doesn't go as far as we would like. He talked about Carbs, frequency of eating, digestion, and thermic effect of foods etc. It wasn't a bad course and probably more in line with my thoughts than I thought it would be.

Reactions: MrsA2

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for responses . I don’t understand how different areas offer courses that give different information within the same service ! Every thing is supposed to be research based. I used to work in the nhs and saw this happening regularly within different trusts ☹️
Ha! I did the course in my area and we had a diabetic nurse promoting the hi-carb eatwell plate and a low-carb advocate dietitian running the course. They were giving out completely conflicting advice - the dietitian was rather good but the mixed message from the nurse was confusing for most.

Reactions: jjraak

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
ive not done that course.. the only course i have had to suffer is the bertie online

i remember being told similar things in the early days... and that porridge was a good start to the day..

i do remember having a chat though with my GP when he was telling me all this... i think he said he had the tell the Health England guidelines.. 5 a day.. etc etc.. but then he said 'off the record' ignore what ive said and look up 'low carb'

So i wonder how much of this is sometimes just having to follow out of date guidelines?

The good thing nowadays though is that you can get the likes of a freestyle libre and see for yourself what different food types do to your control

i sometimes though think if your care team is generally good, that doing the things they ask you.. like a course will keep you in their good books.. and they seem to treat you better than someone that's difficult.. or that's been my experience.

Even you learn just 1 thing from it then its not been a waste.. :)