Regular moderate exercise log

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t posted here for a while. Have been pootling along, doing as much as possible given the weather. Finally had a glorious day so out early to catch sunrise and then a long walk along the Thames. Exhausted now - wandered along the river bed, including some very rocky bits, and up a bit of a precarious ladder. 13.6 miles in total.

Attachments

• A486431B-7A1A-4620-8D3A-A6549322A867.jpeg
    A486431B-7A1A-4620-8D3A-A6549322A867.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 286
  • D61F54E8-9CC7-4BF5-BA7F-C0AECBB03402.jpeg
    D61F54E8-9CC7-4BF5-BA7F-C0AECBB03402.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 261
  • DEB01C2C-232E-46FC-9BC3-510BC2ED20E6.jpeg
    DEB01C2C-232E-46FC-9BC3-510BC2ED20E6.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 45B66CB9-5E34-48CA-9323-2FA1AC1BEE20.jpeg
    45B66CB9-5E34-48CA-9323-2FA1AC1BEE20.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 271
Reactions: HeliGary

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
220,000 steps in January. Walks have varied between 6000 and 20,000 steps and I haven't added in any incidental stepping. Mind you, with lockdown, I haven't got a lot else to do! I never thought that my footwear would either be slippers or walking boots. I'm sticking to routes from my front door so a good one is from home along Cycle route 21 to Beckenham Place Park, around the perimeter of the park then back by a slightly different route. This is usually 20k steps. Another is home to Deptford, along the river to Greenwich, up through Greenwich park, over Blackheath and back home. I shall keep an eye out for you Goonergal!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
220,000 steps in January. Walks have varied between 6000 and 20,000 steps and I haven't added in any incidental stepping. Mind you, with lockdown, I haven't got a lot else to do! I never thought that my footwear would either be slippers or walking boots. I'm sticking to routes from my front door so a good one is from home along Cycle route 21 to Beckenham Place Park, around the perimeter of the park then back by a slightly different route. This is usually 20k steps. Another is home to Deptford, along the river to Greenwich, up through Greenwich park, over Blackheath and back home. I shall keep an eye out for you Goonergal!

You must live fairly close to me. Guessing you may be using the Waterlink Way on the Deptford route and passing through Brookmill Park?

I’ve been in Beckenham Place Park a couple of times this year - once to meet a friend who also likes walking, when meeting outside was first allowed, and again to meet the same friend and a couple of others a bit later in the summer, when we also went for an outdoor pub lunch afterwards. It’s a 7 mile walk for me to get there (the scenic way), so getting there and back plus a wander round the park is a full on day! I’ll keep an eye out for you too!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lived very near Beckenham Place Park as a teenager. Havent been there in decades. Can you post some pictures next time you go? Would be very interested indeed

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi MrsA2. The park has changed a lot in the last few years. The public golf course has been dismantled and replaced with a swimming lake, a big playground, a formal garden and lots of new paths. The old stable block has been revamped and now has a lovely cafe ( currently closed of course). Even on a sunny day in lockdown there is plenty of space.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi MrsA2. The park has changed a lot in the last few years. The public golf course has been dismantled and replaced with a swimming lake, a big playground, a formal garden and lots of new paths. The old stable block has been revamped and now has a lovely cafe ( currently closed of course). Even on a sunny day in lockdown there is plenty of space.
That sounds very different. I remember it as mainly just green, like countryside without the fields. Think we used to sledge there? Is it hilly? So long ago!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 I had a look through my pics from the 2 visits this year, and could only find this one which gives any sense of the park - all the others (and there aren’t many as I was with company) were of individual trees/flowers. I’ll take some more next time I’m there (not sure when that will be).

Meanwhile, I haven’t been out in 3 days due to feeling under the weather. Need to at least have a short walk today.

8788E7FA-DD72-4456-BD0C-27FE01CC1EB7.jpeg

Reactions: MrsA2 and LaoDan

Max68

Thought I would join in here. Like many I used to be extremely active in my younger days. Was a decent tennis player in my teens until vestibular hypofunction came into my life and I could never recover my tennis playing. Learned how to play football again to a half decent standard and played twice a weekend until 2012 when arthritic hips stopped that. Then didn't do much at all to my regret. After Covid hit I did a lot of walking between March and September in the woods and managed to get a lot of golf in over the summer. Suffered with a ball of the foot problem in October and couldn't walk for two months which didn't help my HBA1c. Thanks to phone and video appointments with the MSK service I got some really good insoles and the pain has subsided enough to get back to walking in the last few weeks. Started out doing a two mile brisk walk every other day and in the last week or so have moved that to every day. I wear two coats and a warm hoodie so have got a fair sweat on by the time I get back as most of it is up hill. Down from 12 and a half stone to 12 and a quarter stone in the last week or so which is a good start. When drier will get back to 1 or 2 hour walks in woods and hopefully get back to the golf which hopefully will help get my HBA1c down come June time. Key to the walks for me is to get lost, as you can't cut it short if you don't know your way home! Quite good now at using the sun for direction, if it is out!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been a bit under the weather so not a lot of walking has been going on. Finally managed to get up to 5.5 miles today. Not a lot, but much further than it’s been. And most of it in sunshine too - great to be back in a t-shirt. Hit the jackpot in the small park near home. There have been rumours of a kingfisher. Spotted it and snapped it!

Attachments

• 412C616B-0E7A-4CA0-9CED-68434BB1F9E3.jpeg
    412C616B-0E7A-4CA0-9CED-68434BB1F9E3.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: Nirac

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, incredible to actually photo a kingfisher. They move so fast!
I tried to photo some buzzards on my walk yesterday, but they were soaring and too far away. I got a dot and a blur!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, incredible to actually photo a kingfisher. They move so fast!
I tried to photo some buzzards on my walk yesterday, but they were soaring and too far away. I got a dot and a blur!

I was quite a way away and managed to get my camera out and lined up before it spotted me - got a few shots before it sped off. Robins are the fastest!

Reactions: Max68

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Congrats on the kingfisher sighting. I often see one and sometimes two in Ladywell Fields and there is often one in Brookmill Park. Did 25 miles over the five week days last week. The amazing weather brought many, many people out this weekend so I mostly stayed home. Sorry you haven't been feeling well Goonergal.

Reactions: Max68 and Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats on the kingfisher sighting. I often see one and sometimes two in Ladywell Fields and there is often one in Brookmill Park. Did 25 miles over the five week days last week. The amazing weather brought many, many people out this weekend so I mostly stayed home. Sorry you haven't been feeling well Goonergal.

This one was in Brookmill Park! I’ve not managed to spot it before.

Reactions: Nirac and Dr Snoddy

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hiking in the mountains near Albuquerque NM. Made it about half way to the top
FE4883D3-61D4-493F-941A-44075DE87328.jpeg EA9A2221-E006-441A-824B-A23C7B843626.jpeg A703A51B-C2ED-4E04-9135-C7625B891A34.jpeg

Reactions: DJC3 and Mbaker

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Averaged 9,700 steps per day in February. Still only from the front door and back so no exciting photos. Walk and talk is still a great therapy!
Hope you are feeling less under the weather Goonergal.

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still walking regularly from the doorstep, but now with more added friends, and the occasional short drive in the car so we can start from somewhere different and expand our routes .
I'm also pleased to say that finally all that winter mud has mostly dried and we no longer wallow in puddles that are deeper than our boots