Lantus Pen

Nick Watts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I'm about to start using a new Lantus insulin pen but how soon do I need to remove it from the fridge before I should start using it?

Thanks

Nick

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have a reusable pen and just change the cartridge. I've never waited after taking the cartridge out of the fridge. Mind you, that might just be because I don't know any better.:)

Reactions: oldgreymare

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

I'm about to start using a new Lantus insulin pen but how soon do I need to remove it from the fridge before I should start using it?

I have a Grip wallet that I keep both pens in all the time, you can then use it when you need it. The Frio ust needs soaking in cold water. Even works in 40C! Not a problem in the UK. I keep my insulin pens in my bag all the time, have done for years. Good luck
Thanks

Nick

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Nick Watts You can use insulin direct from the fridge.
However, you may notice a bit of stinging from cold insulin. The usual advice it to take it out before you use it but if you forget, it is not going to do any serious damage.

I would emphasise the point about using reusable pens. These are more robust, the cartridges take up less space in your fridge than pens and there is less plastic waste to add to landfill.
I don't know why single-use pens seems to be becoming more prevalent but I have never known a request for reusable ones to be declined. Just make sure you get a spare.

Nick Watts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Thank you for the great advice. I'll certainly ask about the reusable pens when i can get to speak to someone.

Thanks again.

Reactions: In Response

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i normally give it about an hour otherwise you tend to get a bit of a sting x

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Nick Watts You can use insulin direct from the fridge.
However, you may notice a bit of stinging from cold insulin. The usual advice it to take it out before you use it but if you forget, it is not going to do any serious damage.

I would emphasise the point about using reusable pens. These are more robust, the cartridges take up less space in your fridge than pens and there is less plastic waste to add to landfill.
I don't know why single-use pens seems to be becoming more prevalent but I have never known a request for reusable ones to be declined. Just make sure you get a spare.
Ah, well, in my case. They would give me the reusable pen sure no bother, but they won't give me cartridges for the Pen insisting cartridges of my Insulin "don't exist"... they do.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Thank you for the great advice. I'll certainly ask about the reusable pens when i can get to speak to someone.

Thanks again.

Hi,

The reusable pen is called the "Allstar pro." For future reference whilst enquiring. (They can be amended to your prescription, always have at least one spare.)
Depending on where I inject, it can sting straight out the fridge..
It doesn't hurt to leave an in use cartridge/pen out of the fridge providing it's kept within the safe temp range?
(Providing the cartrige is used within 28 days.)

Hope this helps.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, well, in my case. They would give me the reusable pen sure no bother, but they won't give me cartridges for the Pen insisting cartridges of my Insulin "don't exist"... they do.

Which insulin is this?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Both Tresiba and Humalog.
For Humalog you can get the HumaPen, Tresiba penfills can be used with all the Novo pens, unless you use the U200 version of Tresiba. The U200 is only available in pre-filled pens for safety reasons.

Reactions: StewM

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For Humalog you can get the HumaPen, Tresiba penfills can be used with all the Novo pens, unless you use the U200 version of Tresiba. The U200 is only available in pre-filled pens for safety reasons.
Oh yeah, I’m aware but I need my Doctor to prescribe it, and they refuse to acknowledge the existence of pens and cartridges for Tresiba and, now, Fiasp.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yeah, I’m aware but I need my Doctor to prescribe it, and they refuse to acknowledge the existence of pens and cartridges for Tresiba and, now, Fiasp.
Show them a picture as proof?

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve got an appointment next week, I’ve not tried that, so I’ll give it a go. Hopefully Zoom can handle it.
I've just changed to Fiasp and had a call from the nurse at my surgery. The GP couldn't find half-unit pens for Fiasp, and it was because he was liooking under the name of the insulin instead of the manufacturer. My nurse sorted it, no problem. Could this be the cause of your problem? Fiasp is NovoNordisk, and if you go to their website you can see all the pens and all the insulins they make. Sorry, I don't know anything about Tresiba. Good luck!

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just changed to Fiasp and had a call from the nurse at my surgery. The GP couldn't find half-unit pens for Fiasp, and it was because he was liooking under the name of the insulin instead of the manufacturer. My nurse sorted it, no problem. Could this be the cause of your problem? Fiasp is NovoNordisk, and if you go to their website you can see all the pens and all the insulins they make. Sorry, I don't know anything about Tresiba. Good luck!
It certainly could be. I've certainly had to tell my Chemist the Manufacturer of my Insulin a few times when they "couldn't find it".

Reactions: oldgreymare and hh1