EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Myself and my partner were trying for a baby and now I'm scared that this will ruin that, I don't want it to make it worse, I don't want any complications.

Absolutely no reason for diabetes to stop you from having a baby, but you might want to mention it to your nurse. (Maybe they'll give you a meter on the NHS so you can keep track of your levels?). They'll prefer you to get your levels lower before a pregnancy but plenty of folk have successful pregnancies with initial levels higher than yours.

Reducing your carbs will help normalise your levels but you're unlikely to need to go full keto with an hba1c of 58. Get a meter and let the meter guide your carb consumption - if your blood glucose goes up by more than 2mmol/L 2 hours after a meal then there are probably too many carbs in your meal.

Lots of virtual hugs. You can do this.

ps All of your prescriptions should be covered once you have the exemption certificate.
Who can get free prescriptions - NHS (www.nhs.uk)
Looks like you need to apply at your surgery. Not 100% sure whether you will be covered before the paperwork has gone through.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
right now I'm thinking of a life of eating nothing but salad and nuts which is such a depressing thought.
I don't ever eat salad and rarely nuts but still manage a low carb life.
Meat, fish, eggs and dairy will be your best friends here.
The foods we are designed to eat.

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting out of the mind set that you can't eat normal food anymore is hard at first, as time goes on you realise how wrong you are about thinking that way,

I can't think of any other way of eating like I do now, lunch today is 4 rashes of bacon and 3 fried eggs and this will be around 12 and my first meal of the day then I'll eat agin around 15:30 which will be chicken wings and maybe a homemade low carb cookie and that will do until tomorrow at midday.

Always think if it's made in a factory it's probably not going to good for you.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I've basically stopped eating all sugar, drinking no fizzy drinks now, and cut down on carbs as well, it's so hard to do when I've eaten a certain way forever, but I really want my levels to be normal. The first nurse said they don't normally diagnose diabetes on blood test without fasting glucose etc, but the hospital aren't doing those tests right now. I have to go back to have another blood test in 3 months. I get really nervous when going to the doctors. I will look at getting a testing kit thank you. I'm really trying to not eat many carbs per day, my partner says I need some. The nurse wanted me to go on tablets but I said I wanted to try with diet first. I'm already on blood pressure medication and still trying to get my blood pressure down, could my blood pressure be higher because my blood sugar is higher? I just hate having to think about all this, I wake up now and it hits me in the face the moment I'm awake and I'm wanting to cry again.
Firstly, welcome, you already sound like you are taking steps in the right direction by considering a low carb diet. With respect, your partner is wrong, you do not need to eat any carbs as your body can manufacture the small amount of glucose required for brain function. There are people on here who are fully carnivore and have been for years and do just fine. However most of us eat some carbs, mostly those in leafy veggies, dairy (cheese and double cream), nuts and low-carb fruit such as berries.

I think the diabetic prescription exemption only applies if you are drug controlled, so you may wish to consider metformin but if you do, ask for the slow-release version from the start because it can have some unpleasant side effects on the digestive system.

I found that a low carb diet did indeed bring my blood pressure right down so hopefully you will see a similar effect. But like others I have a home BP monitor because it goes through the roof in a medical setting!

It will take you a while to settle into a new way of eating and please try and get a monitor, it will shed light on what you can and cannot tolerate - it’s a very personal condition and affects everyone in different ways. But intensive testing is not forever, you will soon establish a menu that suits you - I was diagnosed in winter and tested for about 3 months to discover what was OK for me, and then again for a few weeks in summer as I added in things like strawberries and raspberries. Now I test now and then, and if I try a new type of food.

The carb cravings do go away once you stop eating them, and there is no need to be hungry either. And no need to eat salad and nuts unless you enjoy them, there is plenty of other stuff that does the job and tastes great. There is a bit of a learning curve for some stuff but it’s optional, for instance I have learned how to bake with almond flour and erithrytol sweetener because life without cake is not to be tolerated.....

But take heart, many of us here (me too!) actually feel so much better, have a greatly improved relationship with food and actually prefer the LCHF way of eating so I hope you will find the light at the end of the tunnel is sunshine and not the oncoming train...

Reactions: ziggy_w and VashtiB

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, and for saying 58 isn't too high, I was mortified when she told me. I am going to look on here at what blood glucose monitors are best and cheapest as money is an issue right now.

I'm due to pick up my blood pressure medication this afternoon, I'm guessing that if I'm not on medication for the diabetes that I still have to pay for the blood pressure tablets. I'm not working at the moment apart from what I can make online which isn't much and I'm not getting benefits. I am struggling to pay for that prescription anyway, what with my partner being on blood pressure medication too and my dogs monthly prescription too.

Everyone has been very nice here which is really nice as the place I'm in right now isn't a good one mentally or physically.
Hi, @Luna21.
You have had somegood advice already. Just to clarify, you can qualify for free NHS prescriptions when you have diabetes, but only if you have been prescribed diabetes medication. You have to get a form from GP, or perhaps pharmacy, and submit it, then wait for an exemption certificate. With the exemption certificate you will be exempt from payment for all NHS prescribed meds. Not just diabetes meds. However, it is important that you make sure you have the exemption certificate BEFORE, ticking the back of the prescription to claim the free meds. Some people have been caught out by this and have been fined.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-prescriptions.html

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is some information on blood glucose meters. I have , unashamedly , copied from posts elsewhere:

There are a few popular meters used by type 2s on here. The cost of the strips is important as they’ll be what you spend most on.

The Tee2+ from Spirit Healthcare which has cheap strips (not the cheapest strips but very reasonable): http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/ I got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order the meter and 10 boxes of strips and they threw the meter in for free. Phone number 0800 8815423

The meter with the cheapest strips is the SD Codefree. Strips need to be bought in bulk using the codes below and the manufacturer is in the process of switching people over to a new model (see below). http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/ and here for the extra strips http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/Discount codes for bulk orders:

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Also from Spirit Healthcare, with more expensive strips than the Tee2+ is their Caresens Dual. This can be used for testing ketones too (strips for that very expensive). https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently brought out a new meter, the Navii, which will eventually replace the Codefree. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips.

Don’t forget to check the box to say you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Luna21

Just wondering how you are going. As I said I clearly remember how devastated I felt on diagnosis and how grateful I was for the support here. It will take time but hopefully after reading the replies you have received and some of the links you have received some reassurance that life will get better.

Take it one day at a time but please post if you need information advice or support.
take care.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi luna
You're getting loads of brilliant advice.
I'm just going to say don't panic, don't rush. Change, particularly sustained change, takes time and you are still in the very early shocked stages.
Stop beating yourself up, you have time to learn, no rush. You have youth on your side.
Your end of life patients are in very different situation, they probably had no or bad advice and poor medication. Their story is not yours, you have been diagnosed early enough to write your own happy ending.
Just breathe, and keep asking questions

Reactions: VashtiB

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Thank you for that and the advice. I just wish I hadn't needed it to get to this, I wish it was just pre-diabetes even, I wish I didn't have to think about all this. I don't drink enough water I know that which I need to. I hope that you get your levels back to where you want them again. Just thinking this way of eating is for life is so hard, but I really want my levels back to normal so badly. Thank you, it hopefully is a new start to me feeling better as I've been feeling worse and worse over the past few years.
It's really not hard to eat this way but it's very, very easy to slip down the slippery slope towards bad glucose readings again. Thanks for wishing me well. I can get it under control. I did find the blood sugar diet great but it initially takes a bit of a mindshift when you start but that diet has a great and supportive forum and tons of recipes. Just depends how you want to tackle it. Some do great with that diet and others prefer to go more slowly in reducing carbs. I found I ate more veg. Also using apps that can track your carbs help no end. :)

pinkjude

Hi and welcome. First, don't panic; we've all been through it. It is very likely that if you adopt a low-carb lifestyle your 3 monthly blood sugar (HBA1C) will drop and there's a good chance it will go below the 46 mmol level. As a diabetic you are entitled to all your prescriptions to be free; just ask the surgery for an exemption form. There is a diabetes drug Metformin that many of us have which helps reduce BS a bit and it's very safe. You may be offered it at you next appointment. Also, many of us test our BP at home using our own testing kit. That way you can do it properly when calm and do several tests. My nurse takes my figures and averages them. I have found that my results are lower than the surgery ones due to the 'white-coat' effect and the rush when you go to the surgery. If your BP numbers still need some pills just have the minimum the nurse agrees with. You will get used to a change of foods. You can have 85% dark Chocolate, eggs and bacon for breakfast, proteins and fats, veg and non-tropical fruit. Nothing is banned but just keep the daily carb total down with the occasional celebration event. Keeping daily carbs below 150gm is one good target but it's your choice.
I didnt know about medication being free. I had a script for metformin and paid for it but havnt started taking it as I am worried about side effects. My HBa1c was 84 2 weeks ago so started low carb but fell off the wagon today when I ate shredded wheat without checking as my DN said it was ok to eat it. I am concerned as my eye sight has become blurry but I do have other eye conditions that can cause that and started with tingling down my arms. DN wants me to take 1 metformin a day to kick start lowering levels a bit.

pinkjude

Thank you, and for saying 58 isn't too high, I was mortified when she told me. I am going to look on here at what blood glucose monitors are best and cheapest as money is an issue right now.

I'm due to pick up my blood pressure medication this afternoon, I'm guessing that if I'm not on medication for the diabetes that I still have to pay for the blood pressure tablets. I'm not working at the moment apart from what I can make online which isn't much and I'm not getting benefits. I am struggling to pay for that prescription anyway, what with my partner being on blood pressure medication too and my dogs monthly prescription too.

Everyone has been very nice here which is really nice as the place I'm in right now isn't a good one mentally or physically.
I bought a gluco navii and the starter kit which includes the meter, the lancing device, 10 strips and some lancets was 9.99 then it costs 7.99 for 50 more strips and 3. 99 for the extra lancings which is fairly reasonable. I find I get stressed taking mine if they are higher than I think they should be.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I had a blood test on the 11th March that came back with my levels at 58, they wanted a repeat blood test two weeks later that also came back at 58 (how they explained it to me was that the sugar sticks and it's a snap shot of the past 3 months so if my blood tests were that close together wouldn't that mean the results would come back the same anyway?)

So after this latest blood test the nurse phoned me on Monday and told me that I'm Diabetic. I'm devastated, so so upset, down, can't stop crying. Life was **** enough anyway and full of stress and now this is just the final straw, I don't even have food to enjoy anymore which is all I had anyway.

I've just been put on blood pressure medication a month ago for high blood pressure, Amlodipine. The nurse offered medication for this but I said I wanted to try without. Plus I can't afford the prescription anyway.

I'm overweight which I know is bad since Covid hit I'm in the house all the time mostly which hasn't helped either. I don't drink or smoke. I do have a sweet tooth and have comfort ate for most of my life. I also was drinking a lot of cola the past few years. My diet was full of chocolate and sweet things, loads of carbs, too big portion sizes etc. The nurse said if I cut out all that my levels should fall. I really want to be under 41 which they say is normal. I don't want this, I can't cope with this.

My mum has just been diagnosed as well with Diabetes, but she's bed/chair bound with MS.

I feel I can't eat anything now, but then I'm told to not go long periods without eating. This morning I've been sat here trying to get some carrots down me with some Houmous. I haven't managed much, since I was told I just feel sick all the time. I'm scared, I don't want health problems. They told me to go for a walk every day but even getting dressed and going out of the house is too much, it takes such a lot and I have no energy, I'm tired all the time.

My partner has also just had a blood test and his results should be back this week.
This might be helpful

SIX STEPS

Introduction to Type 2 Diabetes

1. You need to unlearn all the standard NHS healthy eating advice, all the assumptions made by the media, your family and friends about what's healthy and what's not. I do mean all.

2. As Type 2 diabetics we are not, by definition, good at handling carbohydrates. Some of us are better than others at it but we all have the same problem. Eating carbohydrates causes our blood glucose to rise out of control and that causes us physical damage.

3. Eating carbohydrates, of any kind, is therefore potentially going to cause us a problem as Type 2s.

4. Just how big of a problem depends on the individual.

5. Test your blood glucose and record your results to find out what your pattern and tolerances are. Then cut the things that cause the rises.

6. Nobody will do this for you. Only you can do this.