Is this just a stage during adapting to LCHF ?

fendertele

I felt great the first few weeks on this diet with tons of energy etc... but the last week i've been sleeping a lot and when i do wake up to eat as soon as i've ate something I cant keep my eyes open/heavy headed and need to go back to sleep again it hits me almost instantly after eating....

Will this pass ? right now I have zero energy.

thanks

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what else is going on in your life? Have you had the covid vaccine recently, or been ill? How low are you going with your carbs?

Are you on any diabetes meds? Are you type 1 or 2 or something else? If you fill in your profile and information we can refer to it and that helps with asking the right questions and giving help.

fendertele

what else is going on in your life? Have you had the covid vaccine recently, or been ill? How low are you going with your carbs?

Are you on any diabetes meds? Are you type 1 or 2 or something else? If you fill in your profile and information we can refer to it and that helps with asking the right questions and giving help.

Sorry no not had any vaccination but not been out the house much during lockdown.

No other symptoms just feel weak and always needing to sleep especially right after eating a meal. Type 2 diabetes also getting tested for albuminarium and have had a Prolactinoma since i was 15 and its a life long condition.

Diet - Chicken,beef,eggs,mayonnaise,cheese,full fat cream, butter, coconut flour, cacao powder, sugar free jello, xylitol, tuna, sausage, 90% dark chocolate, water, pepsi max.

No meds just diet alone, first month or so felt great this last week i can barely get out of bed and when I do it's short lived as soon as i eat i need to sleep. Feels similar to when i had low blood pressure in the past but cant say for sure without going to the doc which is a waiting game during lockdown plus i really dont want to see them as it's going to be a told you so scenario if it turns out its diet related as they were anti LCHF diet and wanted me to follow the leaflet they gave which was all for eating wholegrain foods and veg.

Other symtom that is annoying the life out of me is still the constand need to pee.... I finishing peeing and it feels like i need to go the moment i sit down again. For men they will appreciate that feeling in the head that comes when they have a chill.. and feels like you need to go all the time.. thank god im passing out a lot or else it would most likely keep me awake at night lol

Does this diet affect blood pressure ? probably wont reply until i wake up need to sleep lol!

Cheers.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry no not had any vaccination but not been out the house much during lockdown.

No other symptoms just feel weak and always needing to sleep especially right after eating a meal. Type 2 diabetes also getting tested for albuminarium and have had a Prolactinoma since i was 15 and its a life long condition.

Diet - Chicken,beef,eggs,mayonnaise,cheese,full fat cream, butter, coconut flour, cacao powder, sugar free jello, xylitol, tuna, sausage, 90% dark chocolate, water, pepsi max.

No meds just diet alone, first month or so felt great this last week i can barely get out of bed and when I do it's short lived as soon as i eat i need to sleep. Feels similar to when i had low blood pressure in the past but cant say for sure without going to the doc which is a waiting game during lockdown plus i really dont want to see them as it's going to be a told you so scenario if it turns out its diet related as they were anti LCHF diet and wanted me to follow the leaflet they gave which was all for eating wholegrain foods and veg.

Other symtom that is annoying the life out of me is still the constand need to pee.... I finishing peeing and it feels like i need to go the moment i sit down again. For men they will appreciate that feeling in the head that comes when they have a chill.. and feels like you need to go all the time.. thank god im passing out a lot or else it would most likely keep me awake at night lol

Does this diet affect blood pressure ? probably wont reply until i wake up need to sleep lol!

Cheers.
THis diet reduces blood pressure in my experience, are you on blood pressure medication?

What are your blood sugar levels like and have you been tested for a UTI? It could be many things, so I think contacting the GP is a good idea sooner than later. Whatever it is, its not something to ignore.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt great the first few weeks on this diet with tons of energy etc... but the last week i've been sleeping a lot and when i do wake up to eat as soon as i've ate something I cant keep my eyes open/heavy headed and need to go back to sleep again it hits me almost instantly after eating....

Will this pass ? right now I have zero energy.

thanks
Are you adding salt to your food?
If you are do you think it's enough..it can make you lethargic if you aren't having enough.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I wish I had documented more my first few months, as there were lots of what I would call sensations; had I not been so sick I might have stopped the protocol, but fear drove me on. So glad I pushed through.

It could be as @bulkbiker says an electrolyte issue, especially as you are weeing alot. I would try the lo-salt brand, available in at Tesco's and other places, as it has good ratios of sodium and potassium, I just added to taste (I trusted that my hypertension would not get worse, and it improved with all of the low carb lifestyle changes).

You could be having oxalate dumping, or be going through fat adaptation. I believe in a holistic view of fixing diabetes, so would pay attention to detail. I would remove the xylitol and pepsi max; if I had to replace with something else then I would either try stevia in place xylitol, pepsi max with sparkling water, either plain or with lemon / lime. What are your number 2's like, are they lose, frothy. Is your eyesight ok / focus changing.

fendertele

Hi guys thanks for the replies, I dont salt my food however I have been noticing my food tastes a little too salty for my liking which in my experience is my bodies way of telling me i need less salt. I remember a long time ago reading the best way to tell is to take a glass of water and add a little salt and continue to do so until the water doesnt taste refreshing but too salty and this gives you an idea of how much salt you require dont require to add.

Problem is I've been tasting a bit too much salt which might indicate im possibly defecient in other electrolytes.

And i can't speak to my doctor about any of these things because i've not been following their plan for treating the diabetes. I might need to switch to the recommended diet for a few weeks just so that If things dont improve im at least able to attend knowing i've followed their guidance.

fendertele

I wish I had documented more my first few months, as there were lots of what I would call sensations; had I not been so sick I might have stopped the protocol, but fear drove me on. So glad I pushed through.

It could be as @bulkbiker says an electrolyte issue, especially as you are weeing alot. I would try the lo-salt brand, available in at Tesco's and other places, as it has good ratios of sodium and potassium, I just added to taste (I trusted that my hypertension would not get worse, and it improved with all of the low carb lifestyle changes).

You could be having oxalate dumping, or be going through fat adaptation. I believe in a holistic view of fixing diabetes, so would pay attention to detail. I would remove the xylitol and pepsi max; if I had to replace with something else then I would either try stevia in place xylitol, pepsi max with sparkling water, either plain or with lemon / lime. What are your number 2's like, are they lose, frothy. Is your eyesight ok / focus changing.

Eyesight is about the only thing about me that is great despite many conditions that can affect it.

Stools range from watery to constipated in the short time i've been on this diet.

Main symptoms are sleeping 8 hours, wakening up feeling not too bad and then eating and feeling like my heads so heavy i need to lie down and sleep.

Numb pinky and ring finger.

Pain lower left abdomen

Peeing all the time and that constant chill feeling in the head that most guys will know if theyve ever stood on cold tiles etc..

Dry flakey skin

And lack of sweating.. something thats been missing for a good few months, cant remember last time i sweat even under armpits etc.

Dont know if any of the above helps but i've got a multitude of other conditions that it's possible this diet isn't great for just this individual ? I've had issues with adrenal glands not working, hypogonadism etc... so i know my hormons do a lot of crazy things due to a tumor thats in my pituatry gland.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And i can't speak to my doctor about any of these things because i've not been following their plan for treating the diabetes. I might need to switch to the recommended diet for a few weeks just so that If things dont improve im at least able to attend knowing i've followed their guidance.

While unable to add to the original question
I would say here, you probably have one major duty to yourself

Looking after yourself as best you can

I tried the eatwell diet, it made me worse, so converted to LCHF

On eatwell my HBA1c deteriorated over 8 weeks.
On LCHF my HBA1c improved over 12 weeks from 57 to 42.

I do hear you about being honest.

My docs don't want to know what I eat, maybe yours would though, if you present with a question, as first posted

BUT I'd say one of your responsibility is to YOU and improving your management of T2D..
Not something going back to a poor diet would help.

Worth considering, if the tiredness is just a stage in adapting.

Swillbos

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fatigue, lack of sweating, and dry flaky skin (oh and constipation, just to add to fun!) are all associated with hypothyroidism, which in turn is often associated with diabetes. You have an awful lot of other stuff going on, but it might well be worth getting this checked out (straightforward blood test)

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Reactions: fendertele

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

My husband gets dry flakey skin every time he goes full bore on low carb.
Each time I encourage him to eat oily fish, or take omega 3 oils, and up the coconut oil (fish oils and coconut oil are regularly used for dogs who have flakey skin, so I figure why not treat him like a dog... lol)

As for the feeling tired and feeble, I am guessing it is electrolytes. Have you had any cramps? You could try Lo Salt, but if you don't want the flavour of salt in your foods, then maybe try bone broth, or even a stock cube in hot water to drink. It will be salty, but it would keep the salt flavour out of your other foods.

I have a prolactinoma too. It interferes with a lot, doesn't it?

fendertele

Yeah im just gonna have to get back to the doctors im the worlds worst for not going to see them as I always feel like im burdening them or that they are judging me.

But atm moment im all over the place extreme anger one minute then feeling extremely depressed the next and this isn't me i'm normally very organised and pragmatic but last 2 weeks im just sleeping and tearing up for no reason.

Doctors booked for tomorrow but it's all done over the phone just now :/

fendertele

Hi,

My husband gets dry flakey skin every time he goes full bore on low carb.
Each time I encourage him to eat oily fish, or take omega 3 oils, and up the coconut oil (fish oils and coconut oil are regularly used for dogs who have flakey skin, so I figure why not treat him like a dog... lol)

As for the feeling tired and feeble, I am guessing it is electrolytes. Have you had any cramps? You could try Lo Salt, but if you don't want the flavour of salt in your foods, then maybe try bone broth, or even a stock cube in hot water to drink. It will be salty, but it would keep the salt flavour out of your other foods.

I have a prolactinoma too. It interferes with a lot, doesn't it?

Yeah and it becomes so much of the norm that even the good days wouldn't be acceptable for most, but you end up not knowing any better. But i'm normally very optimistic and always trying to change things to improve but whatever this is im feeling im completely zombied out lol.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Eyesight is about the only thing about me that is great despite many conditions that can affect it.

Stools range from watery to constipated in the short time i've been on this diet.

Main symptoms are sleeping 8 hours, wakening up feeling not too bad and then eating and feeling like my heads so heavy i need to lie down and sleep.

Numb pinky and ring finger.

Pain lower left abdomen

Peeing all the time and that constant chill feeling in the head that most guys will know if theyve ever stood on cold tiles etc..

Dry flakey skin

And lack of sweating.. something thats been missing for a good few months, cant remember last time i sweat even under armpits etc.

Dont know if any of the above helps but i've got a multitude of other conditions that it's possible this diet isn't great for just this individual ? I've had issues with adrenal glands not working, hypogonadism etc... so i know my hormons do a lot of crazy things due to a tumor thats in my pituatry gland.
You're contending with alot symptoms. I feel by doing the best you can in the areas you have control over, when you get expert help variables that could be sabotaging or exacerbating your symptoms should be removed. I highlighted the Xylitol and Pepsi and both can illicit and insulin response - this is individual even though for example with the Pepsi it is sugar free.

Seeing your healthcare professionals and getting tests should help.

fendertele

Fatigue, lack of sweating, and dry flaky skin (oh and constipation, just to add to fun!) are all associated with hypothyroidism, which in turn is often associated with diabetes. You have an awful lot of other stuff going on, but it might well be worth getting this checked out (straightforward blood test)

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Curious from some reading i've noticed mentioned that Keto can kill your thyroid is this true and is there a way to combat it if so ? So that someone can remain on this diabetes friendly diet without comprimising their thyroid or any other issues. I have the diet pretty good so far but I may not be doing other things to make it maintainable.

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Cheers.
I would maybe suggest gt ur prostrate checked

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Curious from some reading i've noticed mentioned that Keto can kill your thyroid is this true and is there a way to combat it if so ? So that someone can remain on this diabetes friendly diet without comprimising their thyroid or any other issues. I have the diet pretty good so far but I may not be doing other things to make it maintainable.
Any links ?

fendertele

Any links ?

https://blog.paleohacks.com/how-keto-can-kill-your-thyroid/
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/are-keto-and-low-carb-suitable-for-people-with-thyroid-disease
https://chriskresser.com/is-a-low-carb-diet-ruining-your-health/

Is just a few but theres many more, just wondered if there was any truth to this and if so how to combat it so i can continue on this diet as other poster mentioned hypo and type can go hand and hand and along with other hormonal issues may be the reason for quite a few of my issues.

Reason im asking here is due to previous thyroid readings being in the moderate/low range and because of this Doctor didnt feel need to do anything regarding it so would like to tackle it myself with diet/supps etc if this diet is possibly exacerbating it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of the symptoms you describe are typical of low thyroid function. It can be difficult to diagnose as there can be a log period of failure and recovery before the eventual complete failure.
After several tests which came back normal I was left for about a year before another one was done - my TSH was four thousand times higher than the upper limit of normal by then.