My recent basal dose has been 17. I just took 161, how many carbs over how long do I need to ward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Off any hypos

( I will reply to my kind friendly replies on previous posts soon ) :) thank you

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd suggest you ring 111 asap, possibly even 999, that's a lot more than normal you probably will need medical help and possibly a glucose drip for as long as your basal lasts (Levemir about 12 hours, Tresiba -36 hours, most others 18-24 hours).

Though I thought most pens maxed at 60 units at a time, did you take it multiple times?

Reactions: Grumpy Porridge

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you mean 161 units?
I think you would have had to dial up and inject a dose 3 times.
If you are doing this intentionally, you need mental support as well as physical assistance.

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a crazy moment and put 161 in ( yes, lantas goes up to 80)

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with the others, call someone! My mum ended up comatose and needed to go on a glucose drip when the hospital incorrectly gave her an overdose. It was not a nice situation.

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I’m going to eat fish and chips , that’s carb and protein heavy right so may help ??
I’m
Sure I will be ok and do not need to go to the hospital

thank you for the advice though :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m going to eat fish and chips , that’s carb and protein heavy right so may help ??
I’m

You took a huge overdose, please call 999 for help

Any large overdose of anything should be dealt with by the emergency servcics

Reactions: UK T1

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

I’m

I don’t know what you are going through but I struggle with depression too. Please do phone 999 as the others have said. Things will be so much worse if you don’t.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your basal is going to have a much longer effect than one single meal.
You say you have just taken approx 8x your usual amount of insulin, so you will be feeling the effects for the next day or so.
Unless you seek medical attention NOW you are likely to lose consciousness.

Dial 999 NOW.

Reactions: UK T1 and ert

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I’m

Hi,

I use Lantus for years. Even a unit too much for me can induce perpetual lows that need constant supervision & snacks.
Though longer acting carbs are a good idea with a basal low, in my experience. They are best following fast acting sugars.

The amount you suggest was injected needs professional medical supervision.
Lantus in my experience can be temperamental at the best of times.

Call nine nine nine.

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is everything ok? Please don’t suffer, get the help you need.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I really hope you have called 999 as the others suggested. You need serious physical help for the overdose and serious mental help for these crazy moments you keep having. I am really worried that one day we will just stop hearing from you because you
have killed yourself.

Please please please seek help. I don't think you can ride this one out on your own.

Lilylala

Hi hope your ok .... Seeing that at 10.30 pm your still on line you must be ok after taking such a large Basel dose over 5 hrs ago ....... This is good news ... Yes ? ..... Hope your ok lovely xxx take care
Please talk to someone if you feel low .... That you have no were to turn to ..... If this is a cry for help....... The Samaritans are fantastic ...... Believe me at my darkest they helped ..... Don't judge
Take care lovely xxx

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
you must be ok after taking such a large Basel dose over 5 hrs ago

The problem is that that large basal dosage is going to keep acting for 24 hours. That fish and chips will hopefully have kept @Grumpy Porridge going for the first few hours but there is real danger that she will pass out/ fall asleep during the night and not wake up. :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

Please be well, @Grumpy Porridge. Please get medical help. Better safe than sorry.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Grumpy Porridge

It would be helpful if you would post how you are feeling, and whether you followed the advice to contact the emergency services.

Members are, quite naturally, concerned for you.

Reactions: KK123

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone , thank you for your lovely replies and advice . I really ! Didn’t want to go to
Hospital ( some of you know, a few months ago I took a few overdoses )
I will attach a pic from my libre chart showing what my blood had been doing . I ate a hot cross bun , plus chocolate late last night . Couple of hours later my alarm went off ( however on the chart it doesn’t show as going to even 4??) had glucose tablets and slice of bread with lemon curd )
Hour + later , alarm didn’t go off yet but saw it was 4 something so again had glucose tablets then bowl of cereal . Finally had a small sleep , checked blood , 3.2, so I had 4 glucose tablets , waited about 15 mins then a bowl of cereal then some more chocolate.

I understand it can be really dangerous, I just hope by maybe eating more carbs today , that will be enough ?? And also last time I was in hospital , the doctor said the long lasting can last for 48 hours?( I think that’s what he said )

my mum said she will call the doctor and let them know .

it was a mistake . I shouldn’t have done it . My mental health is a ongoing issue .

Thank you for your caring replies, I’ll see what my blood does . And let you know any updates :)

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I
Took the overdose at around 4:50 yesterday afternoon

Attachments

• 94E0A2A5-C7EB-4469-BEB7-F5B8D518DB4B.png
    94E0A2A5-C7EB-4469-BEB7-F5B8D518DB4B.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 93

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also around 5:30 am , I had one slice of bread with lemon curd again :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for getting back to us, and am glad you are OK.

Different basals last different amounts of time, and I am not sure what type you use?
Some are relatively short 18-24 hours, and others last much longer, up to 2-3 days.
You can probably find out the insulin profile of yours by reading the leaflet that comes with it, or by googling. Then you will know better what to expect. You may have to keep setting the alarm for quite a while longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.