Drinking water in the morning before FBG test

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is drinking water in the morning before testing blood sugar subsequently has any effect on the FBG reading?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I don't think so, about all that is gong to happen is the water will hydrate you.... which is obviously a good thing!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Drinking water helps with a blood test as it keeps more fluid in your veins and helps draw blood easily.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Drinking water helps with a blood test as it keeps more fluid in your veins and helps draw blood easily.
I suspect the question was more in relation to finger tests as I read it but your point is good, I've had trouble having my veins found when I'm not hydrated enough so now ensure I have plenty of water to make it easier

Nurse not easily finding a vein is really not fun!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with everyone else- I actually asked the pathologist when I had my first and was told it was not a problem. I actually make it a point to have as much water as possible as I have deep veins and it really makes a difference.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your comments. Really appreciated all including the link.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink plenty of water before a blood test and 80% of the time they still need to use both arms. When I do my FBS it usually takes 3 attempts as well. I did mention to one nurse taking my blood that I was thinking about donating but she replied with an emphatic “NO” as it would take far too long particularly as, even when they eventually find a vein, it tends to give up after getting 3 vials!!

sorchao

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Trying to get my Libre unstuck after 14 days
Same, I apparently have tiny, tiny veins, as do my entire paternal family and I’ve been advised by various medical people to drink loads of water and be really well hydrated and warm before getting blood taken, which really does work. For FBG, the diabetic nurse also recommended drinking lots of water, running your fingers under a warm tap and also shaking your hands down below waist height before you test - I don’t think any of this effects your blood sugar reading, but it makes it a lot easier to get that drop of blood out for the meter!