Help! I miss toast.

Lilysun

Hi all - a few weeks into very low carb eating and I’ve managed to find substitutes for almost everything I missed before. The one thing that I’m finding hard is toast! Especially when I’m giving the little one his breakfast. The warm buttery golden toast is so tempting it’s all I can do not to make myself a slice. Issue is that at the moment my blood sugar does not respond to bread well at all. I may as well be allergic.

I stopped white bread years ago but even brown bread seems to have a bad effect on my blood sugars. Has anyone managed to find an alternative for toast?!

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Bread is my nemesis, I can remember trying to hide my tears as I walked passed the bread isle with the freshly baked smells hehe, many moons ago, one day at a time, good luck!

Reactions: ert

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I buy https://lodough.co/ when I get a craving for bread. 2.2 grams of carbohydrate per flat bread.

Last edited:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Hovis Pumpkin and Sunflower seed or Tesco High protein bread which are both which is 9g carbs per slice.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I use LivLife bread, it's seeded and works best as toast, 3.4g of carbs a slice and hardly spikes my BG levels at all. Unfortunately I can only find it at Waitrose or Ocado.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Bread is my nemesis, I can remember trying to hide my tears as I walked passed the bread isle with the freshly baked smells hehe, many moons ago, one day at a time, good luck!
I resonate with that, I have a love hate relationship with the bread isle..... :bigtears:

Reactions: ert

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use LivLife bread, it's seeded and works best as toast, 3.4g of carbs a slice and hardly spikes my BG levels at all. Unfortunately I can only find it at Waitrose or Ocado.
I was going to point out that it is 3.4g per slice but despite your post saying 6g when I quote it the quote says 3.4g - weird!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently discovered Keto8 rolls. Very low in carbs, freezable and nice with butter ;)
Also rather pricey, but I save them for an occasional indulgence.
Their cinnamon bagels are particularly nice.

Anything made with normal flour and grains raises my bg disproportionately high, so for me, the answer is to go grain free and gluten free.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I was going to point out that it is 3.4g per slice but despite your post saying 6g when I quote it the quote says 3.4g - weird!

I did try to edit my post to correct it to 3.4g, but it kept coming back as 6g..very odd !!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese waffles with a rasher of extra thick bacon work well.
I have a bread maker coning, due to be delivered today.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never been a big bread fan but very occasionally I use a slice of hi-lo kept in the freezer. (The freezing and reheating apparently helps make the fibre more resistant and less likely to effect bgl). If I can be bothered I mix up a “roll” of a tablespoon of almond, a little psyllium husk, tbsp flaxseed or similar, a little salt, a knob of butter, a half teaspoon of baking powder and an egg. Mix well and microwave for a minute maybe two until formed. Then slice and toast.

Sorry. I’m a bit slap dash on measures so can’t be more specific and found the little bit of salt along with the toasting the difference between a “dough” and “bread”.

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I make almond bread which is good split and toasted - goes well with cheese or a scrape of sugar free marmalade.

2 portions:
I large egg
1 teasp milled flaxseed
3 tablesp ground almonds
1tablesp oil
1/2 teasp baking powder
pinch of salt

Mix well together, place in a small microwave dish or a bowl and microwave for 90 seconds. Cool, split and toast.
Keeps for a day if covered to stop it drying out.
I sometimes add a little cream cheese as it cuts the eggy taste.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
First try with the new bread maker and it seems to work well - but there is little flavour in the recipe I used.
The loaf is still warm, but it is rather soft - maybe it needs a longer cooking, but it should be OK for cheese on toast. Now I have to remember which recipe I used and if I added anything from another recipe.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I purchased a breadmaker approximately a week ago, and so far have made two loaves with it. And the results have been excellent. It should work out at 2.5 grams a slice, but I cannot slice the bread that thin! The recipe is on You Tube, Keto King, Low Carb Bread, and I ordered the ingredients from Amazon UK. Well worth the effort. Also, I find the bread very filling. For lunch I had a BLT sandwich, and it really hit the button.

Previous to this I ordered bread from the Seriously Low Carb Company, and found it quite expensive. This Keto King recipe produces almost exactly the same bread, but cheaper. And it's fun and interesting making your own bread.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, long walks in the countryside
I purchased a breadmaker approximately a week ago, and so far have made two loaves with it. And the results have been excellent. It should work out at 2.5 grams a slice, but I cannot slice the bread that thin! The recipe is on You Tube, Keto King, Low Carb Bread, and I ordered the ingredients from Amazon UK. Well worth the effort. Also, I find the bread very filling. For lunch I had a BLT sandwich, and it really hit the button.

Previous to this I ordered bread from the Seriously Low Carb Company, and found it quite expensive. This Keto King recipe produces almost exactly the same bread, but cheaper. And it's fun and interesting making your own bread.

I've been using this recipe in my bread maker for a while now with excellent results. I've also used the dough to make pizzas and bread rolls too. Husband now prefers my bread for toast!

Reactions: Gracie204