Cost of shopping

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently discovered Iceland. they do packs of cheese slices, two for 2 pounds if I'm not wrong. Perfect for breakfast and for snacking. Their steaks are fine, and very cheap. They also sell pork scratching in a big bag, which is my replacement for packs of crisps in the evening.
Great ideas.

Have you checked the carbs in the cheese slices, as some brands use flour to keep the slices seperate.

Johosephat

I've really notice our food bills increasing. More meat and veg, and less cheaper processed food. Plus things like konjac and low carb foods are really expensive for what they are.

Having recently been diagnosed with diabetes 2, I think working from home for a year really hasn't been good for me in terms of daily activity or diet and probably helped push me over the edge, but since my diagnosis I've glad I'm working from home as I think packed lunches/lunches out would have been much more difficult to remain in plan.

Reactions: LaoDan

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked the carbs in the cheese slices, as some brands use flour to keep the slices seperate.
Most brands of cheese slices I have bought are individually wrapped, including the generic store brands.

LindaManville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Jogging
Our grocery bill has gone up as we are adjusting
To new dietary needs. We feel that once we
Have the staples needed for our new recipes that
Things will get better. We do find shopping at Aldi,
Iceland and the like helps alot with the overall bill.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Our grocery bill has gone up as we are adjusting
To new dietary needs. We feel that once we
Have the staples needed for our new recipes that
Things will get better. We do find shopping at Aldi,
Iceland and the like helps alot with the overall bill.

If you don’t mind cooking for yourself I recommend soups based on bone broth. I get my bones free of charge from a farmers market roast them for an hour then into the slow cooker for a day. I add onion garlic celery and tomatoes and seasoning for a deeply satisfying series of meals. It really is worth the effort and costs so little in everything but time.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Our shopping bill has gone up with lockdown inflation, and also with my low carb diet. My husband lost his job at the beginning of lockdown, so it's been really important for us to budget. He follows a fairly normal diet, likes his carbs, and wouldn't be fully on board with low carb. However, I've managed to tweak things a little.
I eat two meals a day, so I don't have breakfast. He's quite content with toast for breakfast, so that's a fairly cheap option. Lunchtimes for me are mostly egg-based, sometimes ham, mushrooms, or whatever else I can throw in. I love sauerkraut, so that's usually part of it too and I've found it's much cheaper to buy the foreign brands than the supermarket own brands. Dinner is always low-carb based - we eat a lot of chicken, a small amount of beef, and some minced lamb - but we're both fussy, so we don't really have anything else. I buy "imperfectly perfect" veg from Sainsbury's, and a bag of potatoes for my husband... which I just bulk up his meals with.
We spend £70 a week, and I do shop at Sainsbury's (because I'm lazy, and Lidl/Aldi are not convenient). Around £20 of that is snacks/carbs etc for my husband, and £10 is food for Her Royal Poodleness.

Reactions: 1970clea