Bit worried about libre 2

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So I received my free trial of the libre 2. I’ve had it a couple of weeks but I haven’t used it yet. I wanted to make sure my diet was fully back on track, which it is. Also my sugars haven’t quite responded to the fact that I’m back at work, quite in the way I thought, so I’m thinking now would be a good time to use the libre 2.

but if I’m honest it makes me feel a bit icky.

I have looked at bits of the instructions and it warns against knocking it, and catching on clothing etc and the thought of wearing it bed or having a shower worries me somewhat,
So could someone who uses these things reassure me please.

does it really stick into your arm? I know as a diabetic we stick needles into our fingers, I inject once a week but this feels much much worse and is akin to finger nails down a blackboard.

so anything that would help would be much appreciated.
Next week will be my second week at work. Today I did my booods for the menopause blood test as per request by dr. If I could go in (or on the phone] armed with some more data that might help if it’s not that, or even if it did because I can’t see how that affects sugars.

Lakeslover

Ok. I’ve been using it since the beginning of March.

firstly for me it doesn’t hurt putting it on, less than pricking my finger. It does stick, but my second one came off after 11 days. Abbott replaced it without charge.

reading the posts here some people recommended tegaderm clear dressing over the top, I’ve tried that and it holds the sensor on with no problems so far.

I love the data it gives me, although I think it underrecords by up to 1 against blood glucose. I need to test that further to see if I’m right.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Ok. I’ve been using it since the beginning of March.

firstly for me it doesn’t hurt putting it on, less than pricking my finger. It does stick, but my second one came off after 11 days. Abbott replaced it without charge.

reading the posts here some people recommended tegaderm clear dressing over the top, I’ve tried that and it holds the sensor on with no problems so far.

I love the data it gives me, although I think it underrecords by up to 1 against blood glucose. I need to test that further to see if I’m right.
I’m assuming as mine is a free trial that I wouldn’t get a replacement. That is kind of what worries me, if it falls off is it then rendered useless?

Lakeslover

You would get a replacement, my first one failed and they replaced it. Customer service is very slow responding though.

yes, if it falls off you can’t reattach it.

The tegaderm is a clear dressing, so doesn’t make the sensor or obvious. I got mine on Amazon.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You would get a replacement, my first one failed and they replaced it. Customer service is very slow responding though.

yes, if it falls off you can’t reattach it.

The tegaderm is a clear dressing, so doesn’t make the sensor or obvious. I got mine on Amazon.
Does it matter what size tegaderm I need?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It uses an inserter needle which retracts automatically when you take the insertion device off (easiest done by twisting gently and then it comes off easily). You are left with a short, fine filament in your arm. It doesn't hurt applying it, or wearing it. I forget where I'm wearing mine regularly!! I find it sticks like a limpet to me, so I don't cover it with anything. It will really help you, showing how your levels are affected by different food, so I'd encourage you to wear it. The thinking about applying it, is much much worse than the doing!!!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used one of the free trial ones. No problem at all and I am very active. It stuck so well I had to use oil to get it off! It did underread compared to finger pricks and did take 2 days to fully settle in, so don't start recording until its been on 48 hours.

I'd love more, its only cost that stops me

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't tried libre 2, but from what I understand the sensor is basically the same as libre 1. You can't feel the sensor in your arm if that is your concern, I'm aware that the sensor is there just after applying but then I forget it's there. After I've applied a new sensor I usually find myself trying to scan the arm where the old sensor was :hilarious:
Mine stick really well but I have had a couple of unplanned removals when I've walked into a doorframe, showering and getting dressed/undressed are unproblematic. The only time I had trouble keeping the sensor on and had to use a tegaderm patch was when I applied the sensor on the inside of my arm, not sure if it was because it was catching on seams or what, but it was a pain trying to keep that one on as the tegaderm started peeling within a day too.

Monty19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So I received my free trial of the libre 2. I’ve had it a couple of weeks but I haven’t used it yet. I wanted to make sure my diet was fully back on track, which it is. Also my sugars haven’t quite responded to the fact that I’m back at work, quite in the way I thought, so I’m thinking now would be a good time to use the libre 2.

but if I’m honest it makes me feel a bit icky.

I have looked at bits of the instructions and it warns against knocking it, and catching on clothing etc and the thought of wearing it bed or having a shower worries me somewhat,
So could someone who uses these things reassure me please.

does it really stick into your arm? I know as a diabetic we stick needles into our fingers, I inject once a week but this feels much much worse and is akin to finger nails down a blackboard.

so anything that would help would be much appreciated.
Next week will be my second week at work. Today I did my booods for the menopause blood test as per request by dr. If I could go in (or on the phone] armed with some more data that might help if it’s not that, or even if it did because I can’t see how that affects sugars.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me, the most important thing to ensure my Libre sticks is to make sure I stick it slightly under my arm and on a flat part. The latter is obvious in hindsight but Libre does not bend so If I stick it on a part of arm that is more muscley, the sensor starts to peel,as I move my arm. I have never had a problem with door jams or showers but do have to be careful when dressing. I have heard bras are the arch nemesis of Libre.

Monty19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I have been using a freestyle Libre since December- it is so so useful and no more finger pricking( ( yay!). It is scary to look at the contraption for fitting it and at the “spike “ but seriously it doesn’t hurt ( and I am a real scaredy-cat) . Once loaded just push firmly onto the part of the back of your arm and remove carefully. It does stick! It may take a day or so to settle to more accurate readings but you can then check what happens to your blood sugars 24/7 and learn so much about how your body responds to different foods. The info even includes an estimated HbA1c reading after a couple of weeks. I will NEVER give mine up. Just go for it you won’t look back. Lots of info on the website too - some useful course sections .
Do it now :)

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I agree that it is best to apply it at least 24hrs before activating to get more accurate results.

If a sensor is faulty (for whatever reason, including coming off earlier than 14 days even though you have followed their instructions) then Abbott have been brilliant at replacing them free of charge, regardless of whether you have it on prescription, bought or free trial. I imagine they're overwhelmed by questions due to their free sensor offer, but when I had a faulty sensor last year I got through on the phone within 5 mins and had a replacement a few days later.

I find mine stick like limpets too, but also apply mine to the back of my arm, not the outside like the promo pictures show. This is where the Abbott rep recommended it when I did their training. I also make sure I thoroughly wash the arm so there is no moisturiser etc which might prevent the adhesive from being as effective. It is absolutley fine in the shower. They say it can be submerged in water for up to 30 mins, it is basically how long it takes for the adhesive to come unstuck. I've not tried it swimming etc. but have read that users on here do swim with them without issue.

The filament is the only part which stays inserted, it is very thin and bendy (I know from inspecting old sensors!) and only goes about 4mm under the skin. There is a needle which retracts into the part of the applicator with the spring in it. This needle just allows the filament to be inserted, and then doesn't stay attached to the sensor/your arm, so don't worry! I sometimes have a bit of a jolt when applying a new sensor, but I think that is more because the spring makes a loud noise and makes me jump!

Maybe watch a few youtube videos of people applying/removing them to get an idea? I had the benefit of applying my first one at a training session with about 30 others so was able to watch a few do theirs first. It has made my life so much easier, so you won't regret trying it!

Last edited:

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I'm finding the adhesive is a little less sticky than the libre, and as soon as there's a loose edge it WILL catch on something. Two of mine have come off while removing a bra (both at 12 days +, so not worth claiming back). Actually managed to catch one on my breast!! I'm just sticking a bit of micropore tape across it, or occasionally a plaster to hold it down.
Funnily enough, I read all these posts about accuracy starting after 24hrs, for me its as accurate as it gets within 3 hrs. Just as well, since I'm hypo unaware and 24hrs of checking every 20-30 mins would tire me out now I'm used to the alarms.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm finding the adhesive is a little less sticky than the libre, and as soon as there's a loose edge it WILL catch on something. Two of mine have come off while removing a bra (both at 12 days +, so not worth claiming back). Actually managed to catch one on my breast!! I'm just sticking a bit of micropore tape across it, or occasionally a plaster to hold it down.
Funnily enough, I read all these posts about accuracy starting after 24hrs, for me its as accurate as it gets within 3 hrs. Just as well, since I'm hypo unaware and 24hrs of checking every 20-30 mins would tire me out now I'm used to the alarms.
Wow luckily never had that issue! I do apply them on the back of my arm, trying to get as flat an area as possible.

For clarity, I apply my next sensor 24hrs before activating it. So the next sensor is applied on day 13 of the current sensor, and only activated when then old sensor runs out. That means I don't have any gaps, but have found this improves accuracy. But then we are all different and some have always found the sensors more/less accurate for them than others.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It uses an inserter needle which retracts automatically when you take the insertion device off (easiest done by twisting gently and then it comes off easily). You are left with a short, fine filament in your arm. It doesn't hurt applying it, or wearing it. I forget where I'm wearing mine regularly!! I find it sticks like a limpet to me, so I don't cover it with anything. It will really help you, showing how your levels are affected by different food, so I'd encourage you to wear it. The thinking about applying it, is much much worse than the doing!!!
I have one to try also but one of the reasons I have not tried it yet is, and I am probably overthinking this but is it possible the inserted needle or fine filament could get stuck or lost in ones arm if it comes loose/away from the sticky patch?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am probably overthinking this but is it possible the inserted needle or fine filament could get stuck or lost in ones arm if it comes loose/away from the sticky patch?
It's very doubtful this would happen, if it did did there would be a outcry against them and Abbot would not give them away / sell them.

You have more chances of winning the lottery than a filament breaking off in your arm. :)

Reactions: Mrs T 123