Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Hi
I’ve not been on her for a while but recently I’ve been recording higher than usual fbg in the mornings . Now I know this is probably due to DP but the problem is my levels are stayin in the high 5s low to mid 6s all day . Even when I don’t eat hardly any carbs . Basically went 2 days on steak , eggs , bacon and cheese . Fbg was still 6.4 and not going below 5.8 all day . After a walk to. Work one day it read 7.4 . Now I’ve been used to readings of 5.6 to 5.8 in the mornings dropping to 4.9 to 5.1 in the evening . Anyone got any ideas . The thing is I feel fine . A bit funny after my jab . But this started before the jab

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My thoughts reading this

How long diagnosed? How long has this been happening for? Any chance there’s anything else health wise going on?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you back :)

have you had the covid vaccine? People are reporting it can increase blood glucose levels for a while.
And, as @HSSS says, could you have any other health issue? Infection, pain, sleep deprivation, increased stress?

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My thoughts reading this

How long diagnosed? How long has this been happening for? Any chance there’s anything else health wise going on?
Hi thanks for the reply . Been diagnosed 4 yrs . Been low carb high fat nearly 4 yrs last HbA1c was 39. I have COPD but it mild . I actually had less than 20 hrs of carbs for about 3 days this week , no alcohol , and was walking about 13000 steps a day . Yet even this morning it was 6.4 then after breakfast , cheese omelette and bacon with coffee and double cream it was still 6.3 .
confused.com

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good to see you back :)

have you had the covid vaccine? People are reporting it can increase blood glucose levels for a while.
And, as @HSSS says, could you have any other health issue? Infection, pain, sleep deprivation, increased stress?
I don’t feel ill , no infection , no stress , maybe it is the vaccine which I had on Tuesday .

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stupid question, but have you recently changed strip batch or changed meter?

I am like you, elevated in the morning, usually sustained during the day, and dropping in the evening. Not got to the bottom of it yet, but it is at levels I can accept for me, and the overall daily average still gives me a decent HbA1c. I am T2D for 30 years now, and only doing LCHF in the past 7 years. Unlikely to be DP, but do you have any sort of nightcap or snack at bedtime? Do you check your levels on waking up and before breakfast?

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stupid question, but have you recently changed strip batch or changed meter?

I am like you, elevated in the morning, usually sustained during the day, and dropping in the evening. Not got to the bottom of it yet, but it is at levels I can accept for me, and the overall daily average still gives me a decent HbA1c. I am T2D for 30 years now, and only doing LCHF in the past 7 years. Unlikely to be DP, but do you have any sort of nightcap or snack at bedtime? Do you check your levels on waking up and before breakfast?
I test as soon as I get up before I do anything , except wash my hands . I have had coffee and cheese before bed for the last 3 yrs . My breakfast consist of. Bacon eggs coffee and double cream . Then walk about a mile to work . It’s very annoying

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I test as soon as I get up before I do anything , except wash my hands . I have had coffee and cheese before bed for the last 3 yrs . My breakfast consist of. Bacon eggs coffee and double cream . Then walk about a mile to work . It’s very annoying
Beware cheese.. My meter tells me that if I eat certain cheeses in the sliced form then I spike. Reson? Manufacturers of these 'processed' cheese slices sometimes coat them with starch to stop them from sticking together in the packet. Slab cheese is better but not so convenient.

Just an aside on that subject. Avoid anything with a cartoon character in the advert - is aimed at kiddies and has added sugars. Avoid triangles with soft cheese too since these are processed beyond reason, and contain anti-caking agents to keep them soft and pliable.

Hard cheeses are generally best for low-carbers.

Back to FBG. A high fat+protein meal has elevating properties for me. Some refer to it as the 'Pizza Effect'. This is where the fat content delays digestion of the proteins and even proteins can get converted to glucose in the body. I believe insulin users sometimes bolus 50% on protein to allow for this effect. I suffer raised BGL following a protein-heavy session.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok thanks . I eat Asda mature cheddar block . I’ll remember that about the protein . I do eat quite a lot of high protein meals .

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had annoyingly high readings for 2-3 weeks now (6 and 7 rising ) Thought I was well and there was no reason for it, but a trip to dentists revealed a slow burning infection in root. Now I'm on day 3 of antibiotics and bgs are back to low 5s. Turns out my bgs knew something was wrong before I did.
Might be same for you @Peadair O Brionn ?

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok let’s wait and see . I hope it is something minor . Might start having a quick whiskey before bed .