COVID vaccine and extremely high blood sugars

WeninHenley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone got any idea when the elevated Blood Sugar stops? I'm now in my sixth week from having it and my Insulin requirements suddenly spiked through the roof again last night, and have yet to drop back off again.

Same case here. Had Pfizer last 18 Feb and to date, have not managed to get it down to my normal 7s before the vaccine. Just talked to my GP about it but it was a frustrating chat because she didn't think the vaccine had anything to do with it :( with the 10-minute window, I didn't have enough time to give her a full picture. I'm fee up with the constant thirst I feel even with just eating less than a handful of roasted peanuts. Consolation is she said no one is going to force me have second jab if I don't want it. But still...you'd wish they have time to read this thread so they will understand what it's really like, and that we're not (or I'm not) fretting over nothing. :sorry:

WeninHenley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we have been very unlucky. It is now eight weeks since my AstraZeneca vaccination . Although my initial side-effects (that I wrote about previously) have improved, I still need more insulin and my readings are erratic, just feeling 'grotty' generally. There may be some ingredients in the AstraZeneca that cause this reaction. I am hesitating about having the second jab at all, when offered. Perhaps some 'expert' statistician has worked out the probability of side effects being bad again, but I do not even know how many, if any, Type 1s did they have in the original trial.

I had Pfizer, it's been 7 weeks now. I'm 99% not going to accept offer of second jab. It's horrible and I don't think my GP realizes I'm not the only one experiencing this. :(

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had Pfizer 6 weeks ago I’ve been counting cals and carbs I can’t get mine under 12 !

TimLibre

I had Pfizer 6 weeks ago I’ve been counting cals and carbs I can’t get mine under 12 !

When I struggle to get my bg down, i’d normally take. some insulin and then do some light jogging/walking for about an hour. During the first 30 minutes my bg will rise further, but after that it drops. Is that option also off when you’ve had a covid vaccin?

Reactions: oldgreymare

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not on any medication but I can see I’m going to have to try again Metformin made me ill before

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning Judith..well can u believe I’ve had really high readings for last 2 weeks. I opened a new tube of sticks for my meter and the last 3 readings have been in the 7s and 8s I also woke feeling very sick !

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning Judith..well can u believe I’ve had really high readings for last 2 weeks. I opened a new tube of sticks for my meter and the last 3 readings have been in the 7s and 8s I also woke feeling very sick !
Has anyone had this happen to them pls ?

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think that readings are relative to our individual situations. For me 7s and 8s would be acceptable because I only start feeling really unwell between 12.5 and 20, normally because I have some sort of infection. Currently I'm trying to stabilise post-vaccine increases.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am happy to report that it is now four days since my second AstaZeneca jab, but I have not experienced the same side effects that I did with my first vaccination. Because I was able to anticipate high blood glucose readings, I upped my basal rate by 40%, and the same with boluses. Other effects have been that I was exhausted for couple of days, and had slight nausea for a day. I took paracetamol for the first two days, and this has prevented temperature. I do not mind if I have to keep insulin ratios at this higher level a bit longer, because I’m used to doing that whenever I have suffered from infections (often), as long as blood glucose stays within acceptable levels. To summarise, for me, the second jab was easier than the first.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For last 36hrs I have been using the same amount of insulin that I needed before the first vaccination, and readings have been steady.

Reactions: UK T1

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So far not had any change in insulin requirements after my second AZ/Oxford vaccine at the weekend. Really relieved, no other side effects either. By comparison, the first dose made me need almost 4x my usual total daily insulin for about 1 week before my insulin requirements returned to normal. Have read a lot saying second AZ dose is better with fewer people reporting side effects. Hope this continues to be true for others too!

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had no side effects after the 2nd AZ I had 4 weeks ago but sugars did go up and needed more insulin for a week or 2 but also was going through a highly stressful time so difficult to be objective.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Adverts, EU, Brussel Sprouts, Ginge & Winge.
I’m 12 days post vaccine BG’s are high, I cannot stay below 10. With highest being 25.. I feel lousy all the time. I’m doing double my normal insulin intake too - don’t know what else to do!
I had the Pfizer jab 8 weeks ago, I'm Type 1 for almost 50 years and well controlled. However since the jab I've developed Insulin Resistance, most infusions weren't lasting the normal 3 days, my blood sugars were constantly rising and not dropping at all after large correction bolus', changing the cannulas 5 -7 times a day just to get the BS to drop, but usually went back up again after a few hours. I've now reverted to manual injections of Lantus and novorapid, and if injecting more than 10 units I only put it up to 10u, then swap to somewhere on my body for the rest. I firmly believe Pfizer jab is responsible by making my antibodies more aggressive. Not sure where to go from here, if there is no cure for this IR, and retraining my body to accept lower doses of insulin doesn't appear to be effective. There am I now terminally ill?

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the Pfizer jab 8 weeks ago, I'm Type 1 for almost 50 years and well controlled. However since the jab I've developed Insulin Resistance, most infusions weren't lasting the normal 3 days, my blood sugars were constantly rising and not dropping at all after large correction bolus', changing the cannulas 5 -7 times a day just to get the BS to drop, but usually went back up again after a few hours. I've now reverted to manual injections of Lantus and novorapid, and if injecting more than 10 units I only put it up to 10u, then swap to somewhere on my body for the rest. I firmly believe Pfizer jab is responsible by making my antibodies more aggressive. Not sure where to go from here, if there is no cure for this IR, and retraining my body to accept lower doses of insulin doesn't appear to be effective. There am I now terminally ill?

I wonder if you could email your hospital diabetes nurses with the question in your last sentence? They may be able to re-assure you.

I also use a pump, Accu-Chek Insight. I increased the ratios on the pump but I am using an insulin pen for corrections. I have kept using the pump, but for me a pen works quicker for corrections. Like you, sometimes, I split my corrections (with a pen) to two or three smaller amounts in different parts of the by abdomen. I always have an insulin pen handy, and I have been following the sick-day-rules advice from the diabetes nurses. I was concerned how much more insulin my body needed, but kept increasing the amount of insulin because that was what my body required.

There were ten weeks between my first and second AstraZeneca vaccinations and I was very concerned (and scared) how I felt. Previously I posted about the bad side effects and extra insulin requirements after the first jab, and about the lesser problem after the second one. Just over a week after my second jab I was able to return to the ratios that I had used prior to the first jab.

I hope you can contact the hospital diabetes nurses. Good luck.

Reactions: StewM and UK T1
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
At last, my BS has dropped so I am able to eat something substantial at last, but not too much. Too. high a bolus leads to Insulin Resistance too apparently. I switched 2 days ago back to MDI, with Solostar Glargine concentrated Insulin, my consultant also prescribed Metformin to stimulate insulin or something at the same time. I told him I would delay taking the metformin as taking a new insulin and a new medication at the same time is not advisable, too many variables in case of possible side effects. However I did take one tab with my 3 eggs at 14:00, did 40 quick press ups, and went for a fast 10 minute walk. These in combination appear to have had a positive effect. It was more than 4 hours since my bolus for breakfast which I didn't have (breakfast) . It's now more than 4 hours since my lunch bolus which never happened either (the lunch that is). Therefore I should not suffer any hypos due to excess insulin. I will have to keep an eye on my BS before bed though, I took an injection this morning of the long acting insulin which is supposed to last 24 hours, but if it loses its efficacy before then, not sure what the best option will be, a small dose of long acting is a possibility, or regular doses of novorapid as corrections during the night as and when required. I have also raised a Yellow Card, not at the GP but online. Coronavirus Yellow Card reporting site

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
At last, my BS has dropped so I am able to eat something substantial at last, but not too much. Too. high a bolus leads to Insulin Resistance too apparently. I switched 2 days ago back to MDI, with Solostar Glargine concentrated Insulin, my consultant also prescribed Metformin to stimulate insulin or something at the same time. I told him I would delay taking the metformin as taking a new insulin and a new medication at the same time is not advisable, too many variables in case of possible side effects. However I did take one tab with my 3 eggs at 14:00, did 40 quick press ups, and went for a fast 10 minute walk. These in combination appear to have had a positive effect. It was more than 4 hours since my bolus for breakfast which I didn't have (breakfast) . It's now more than 4 hours since my lunch bolus which never happened either (the lunch that is). Therefore I should not suffer any hypos due to excess insulin. I will have to keep an eye on my BS before bed though, I took an injection this morning of the long acting insulin which is supposed to last 24 hours, but if it loses its efficacy before then, not sure what the best option will be, a small dose of long acting is a possibility, or regular doses of novorapid as corrections during the night as and when required. I have also raised a Yellow Card, not at the GP but online. Coronavirus Yellow Card reporting site
9pm last night, my bg was 15, and rising. 2 injections of glargine 10u in each upper thigh plus 10u of novorapid. These had zero effect, apart from a very brief dip, then started rising again. Went to bed with a bg of 16.5, set alarm for 2am to ensure the amount of insulin injected wasn't going to make me low. Still 15.5, took 10u rapid, woke at 6am and it had at last dropped to 3.5 so took some fast acting carbs to counteract the low and went for a fast 25 minute walk. Checked blood about an hour later and it was 15 and rising. took another double dose of glargine in both arms, followed by a rapid 40 pushups, plus moving my arms about a lot to disperse insulin. Checked 30 minutes later and it's 18 and still rising. Went for a rapid 15 minute walk. :(

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
9pm last night, my bg was 15, and rising. 2 injections of glargine 10u in each upper thigh plus 10u of novorapid. These had zero effect, apart from a very brief dip, then started rising again. Went to bed with a bg of 16.5, set alarm for 2am to ensure the amount of insulin injected wasn't going to make me low. Still 15.5, took 10u rapid, woke at 6am and it had at last dropped to 3.5 so took some fast acting carbs to counteract the low and went for a fast 25 minute walk. Checked blood about an hour later and it was 15 and rising. took another double dose of glargine in both arms, followed by a rapid 40 pushups, plus moving my arms about a lot to disperse insulin. Checked 30 minutes later and it's 18 and still rising. Went for a rapid 15 minute walk. :(
This might sound out of left field but... it might be worth checking your basal requirements. The reason the Bolus may be ineffective is because it’s essentially trying to replace the Basal not in your system. However as Bolus has such a short action time in comparison every time each dose runs out you’re going to see spikes again.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After reading posts on this forum, I upped my Basel this morning to 160% of normal Basel, staying level so far so hopefully increase in basel will do the trick have hospital appointment on Wednesday so I will report what I have read about problems with some diabetics in the UK, not that I am saying this is what anybody else should do

Reactions: oldgreymare
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
This might sound out of left field but... it might be worth checking your basal requirements. The reason the Bolus may be ineffective is because it’s essentially trying to replace the Basal not in your system. However as Bolus has such a short action time in comparison every time each dose runs out you’re going to see spikes again.
I've replaced BASAL from pump with Glargine which should last 24 hours, so matching my pump basal of 30.65u per day total with 2 x 20u per 12 hours as the initial 30u only had efficacy of 12 hours. But thanks for your advice.