Bit worried about libre 2

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I received my free trial of the libre 2. I’ve had it a couple of weeks but I haven’t used it yet. I wanted to make sure my diet was fully back on track, which it is. Also my sugars haven’t quite responded to the fact that I’m back at work, quite in the way I thought, so I’m thinking now would be a good time to use the libre 2.

but if I’m honest it makes me feel a bit icky.

I have looked at bits of the instructions and it warns against knocking it, and catching on clothing etc and the thought of wearing it bed or having a shower worries me somewhat,
So could someone who uses these things reassure me please.

does it really stick into your arm? I know as a diabetic we stick needles into our fingers, I inject once a week but this feels much much worse and is akin to finger nails down a blackboard.

so anything that would help would be much appreciated.
Next week will be my second week at work. Today I did my booods for the menopause blood test as per request by dr. If I could go in (or on the phone] armed with some more data that might help if it’s not that, or even if it did because I can’t see how that affects sugars.

Hi,

You won't know it's there.. I remember my first time. I made a "window" to get my head round this yellow box of tricks & slap it on my arm. I called it "Libre day?" :)

Oddly enough, I got sent a free trial Dexcom G6 on Monday. I was due a sensor change in the evening but couldn't be done with setting up a new type of sensor at the start of a busy working week.
So I slapped on another L2. Becomes second nature after a while.. To date, I still haven't lost one prematurely.
& it sticks with me through some "graft."

Last edited:

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on day 2 of my free trial, and it's amazing. Firstly, the application is no worse than the pain from a finger prick, and you don't know it's there within a few minutes. I was a bit worried about how it would fare overnight, but it's been absolutely fine. I might do as others have suggested, and get a tegaderm dressing to place over it just for reassurance, but so far I have no real reason to do that.
Definitely place it, then activate it 24 hours later. I didn't do this, and my first day started out being 2mmol lower than blood, by evening it was 1mmol lower than blood, and this morning it was only .1 different from my meter... so it's getting more and more accurate as it settles in.
It's a fascinating device, and if I can get enough money together to self-fund, I'm probably going to go ahead and do that because it's already helping me what my patterns are like.

Reactions: Brunneria

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have one to try also but one of the reasons I have not tried it yet is, and I am probably overthinking this but is it possible the inserted needle or fine filament could get stuck or lost in ones arm if it comes loose/away from the sticky patch?
Hi, no, this isn't possible.

The only faulty sensor I've had is one where I struggled putting it together when you align the black line on the applicator and sensor holder. This meant the filament didn't fully go through the sensor as it should, so when I applied it to my arm was sticking out of the sensor casing a little. This meant I was able to see that the sensor end of the filament (not the end in your arm) goes wider, and so can't get stuck in your arm.

If you haven't seen an old sensor, perhaps it would help my explanation if you search on YouTube for people taking their sensors off. Then you can hopefully see what I mean. Remember, if a sensor is faulty then they will replace it for free, which will cost them money. So there can't be that many faulty sensors in the grand scheme of things as the company would lose too much money!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
For clarity, I apply my next sensor 24hrs before activating it. So the next sensor is applied on day 13 of the current sensor, and only activated when then old sensor runs out. That means I don't have any gaps, but have found this improves accuracy. But then we are all different and some have always found the sensors more/less accurate for them than others.
Gah. Now I feel stupid. It never occurred to me that you could wear two at once.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Done!
All fitted.
Apparently I have no sense of placement because I was aiming for under the arm and it ended up more outside

I’ve put on one of those sticky derm things. but dear lord I am so super paranoid. Everytime I move my arm I think it’s going to fall off.
I may have to wear a long sleeve top instead of a t shirt in bed!!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great! You'll soon get used to wearing it, and not worry about it falling off. I was the same for a day or two with my first one, but you've got a tegaderm on top as well as the Libre itself being sticky, so try not to worry I'm sure it will be fine.

Reactions: woollygal

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Done!
All fitted.
Apparently I have no sense of placement because I was aiming for under the arm and it ended up more outside

I’ve put on one of those sticky derm things. but dear lord I am so super paranoid. Everytime I move my arm I think it’s going to fall off.
I may have to wear a long sleeve top instead of a t shirt in bed!!
When you finally come to take it off you will realise that you never needed to worry about it falling off.

Reactions: woollygal and MrsA2

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
What’s the best time after placing libre 2 to activating it?
I’ve read 24 and 48 hours. I’ve had it on 14 and after all the heebyjeebies of putting it on I’m now itching to get it going

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
When you finally come to take it off you will realise that you never needed to worry about it falling off.
My extra sticky pit is peeling a bit. Was thinking of taking it off and putting new one in but I think that might be bit dodge if libre is very stuck to it.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My extra sticky pit is peeling a bit. Was thinking of taking it off and putting new one in but I think that might be bit dodge if libre is very stuck to it.
I can't advise about that as I didn't use any covering.
I activated mine after 1 hour as per the instructions, also the software has a 1hour countdown. I didn't have any suspicious readings.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It’s working!
Just did it’s first scan and it was 7.

thiught is see against the meters and they were new meter 6.2 and old one 5.8.