Meter readings

jack5469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite
Hi All, new to the site and like it. I am 67 yrs old male and have had T2 for 30 odd years on tablets, my query is last night I tested and my meter read 8.1 this morning I tested and it read 9.8 ? tested again 1 hour after breakfast and it read 7.1 tested again just and it read 15.8 ? is my meter faulty or am I in a spot of bother? Help or advice needed please. many thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply, 8, when I went to bed, got up 9.7 an hour and a half after was 15.8 and a bowl of bite-size shredded wheat and a cup of tea.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jack5469

Re the morning vs night time reading, that’s likely down to Dawn Phenomenon, where the liver kicks into action in anticipation of the day ahead. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

With the breakfast readings, what was the reading before breakfast? How long after breakfast was the 15.8 reading (obviously more than an hour, but how much more)? And finally what did you eat fir breakfast?

Lots of questions, but the answers will help us to try and give you answers.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you testing regularly? If not too often, check the date on your teststrips.
With an unexpected high number I'd also wash my hands and do a retest to make sure.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Could be the strips.... they can throw out bad readings sometimes.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d hazard the shreddies were the cause of the spike to 15.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many Type 2s (myself included) can't tolerate cereals - they spike us. I have eggs, bacon, mushrooms or greek yoghurt and a few berries for breakfast usually

What medication are you on?