Does libre 2 take readings while asleep

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So I am scanning the libre 2. Could very easily become addicted to this new gadget.
But how does it work overnight. If you have to scan to check levels how does it know what’s happening overnight when asleep or when you don’t test?
Apologies if this is a stupid question!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I am scanning the libre 2. Could very easily become addicted to this new gadget.
But how does it work overnight. If you have to scan to check levels how does it know what’s happening overnight when asleep or when you don’t test?
Apologies if this is a stupid question!

Hi,
it holds the BG data taken from interstitial fluid for the last 8 hours, then will overwrite as it goes..?
A little like the memory on a dash cam..
But to be fair. The L2 should consistently send the readings to your device via Bluetooth.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hi,
it holds the BG data taken from interstitial fluid for the last 8 hours, then will overwrite as it goes..?
A little like the memory on a dash cam..
But to be fair. The L2 should consistently send the readings to your device via Bluetooth.
Ah ok.
To be fair it’s only been working less than 2 hours!
It just suddenly dawned on me!
thanks

Reactions: Antje77 and Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah ok.
To be fair it’s only been working less than 2 hours!
It just suddenly dawned on me!
thanks

Don't worry, I get it. :)

If you were just scanning.? The data will be viewed as you go along. But for example you scanned before bed then got 8.5 hours sleep, woke then scanned. There would be a gap of half of an hour, starting from your last scan.
The Bluetooth providing you don't lose signal (or at least for too long.?) should be continuous. Well till the sensor's life ends..

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Libre continuously takes readings and has a memory on the sensor which contains the last 8 hours of data.
When you scan, you actually download the contents of the memory.
So, you are asleep it carries on. However, if you failed to scan within 8 hours you will loose data.

if you have started just with the sensor, I strongly recommend you review the threads which list the limitations, especially when first inserted. I find Libre 2 takes longer to bed in than Libre 1 and can take 3 days to settle enough to provide reliable readings. This is why many people suggest inserting sensors 48 hours before starting.

Reactions: Soplewis12

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Don't worry, I get it. :)

If you were just scanning.? The data will be viewed as you go along. But for example you scanned before bed then got 8.5 hours sleep, woke then scanned. There would be a gap of half of an hour, starting from your last scan.
The Bluetooth providing you don't lose signal (or at least for too long.?) should be continuous. Well till the sensor's life ends..
So when I scan in the morning it should then show me what the levels have been overnight?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
The Libre continuously takes readings and has a memory on the sensor which contains the last 8 hours of data.
So, you are asleep it carries on. However, if you failed to scan within 8 hours you will loose data.

if you have started just with the sensor, I strongly recommend you review the threads which list the limitations, especially when first inserted. I find Libre 2 takes longer to bed in than Libre 1 and can take 3 days to settle enough to provide reliable readings. This is why many people suggest inserting sensors 48 hours before starting.
Eek. Better not sleep for too long then

Reactions: In Response

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

Actually seems ok at the mo. I’m around and about what my meter said.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So when I scan in the morning it should then show me what the levels have been overnight?

Correct. Or at least the last 8 hours of sleep via NFC. Bluetooth should keep updating your device continuously, every 5 minutes.
It does on my app.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't do that, it only sends alarms by Bluetooth.

Hi,

The alarm for BG levels can be set on my app. So when a reading comes in at that set level. I either get a door knocking noise if it triggers to high. Or what sounds like a "life support machine" loudly "flatlining" should I hit drop below 4.8mmol.
Just give me a chance to make a judgment based on where the arrow points regarding the trend?

I tend to have only the alarms on when engrossed in my work?
Edited to add. It also has a "snooze" function too, which can easily be set..

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Correct. Or at least the last 8 hours of sleep via NFC. Bluetooth should keep updating your device continuously, every 5 minutes.
It does on my app.
I’m assuming if things are stable do they not show?
Although to be fair again maybe need to wait more than 2 hours
My graph is piddly

Attachments

• 6D42B344-4721-45A1-B192-1B76F44D55FF.png
    6D42B344-4721-45A1-B192-1B76F44D55FF.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 4186B61D-1EBC-4516-BD1B-59EDF9B1BE2E.png
    4186B61D-1EBC-4516-BD1B-59EDF9B1BE2E.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 86

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m assuming if things are stable do they not show?
Although to be fair again maybe need to wait more than 2 hours
My graph is piddly
This doesn't look right, unless you have just started the sensor?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetooth should keep updating your device continuously, every 5 minutes.
It does on my app
I don't think it does. Have a look at the app after a while without scanning, there will be no more data. The sensor takes readings every 5 mins but only transfers its stored data (via NFC) when scanned. If it transferred data continuously by Bluetooth there would be no loss of data after 8 hours of not scanning.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s only be activated for two hours. I’ve done 2 scans I think
Ah, in that case this is exactly what you'd expect to see :)
It shows your graph for the last 2 hours, the time it has been active. The graph will get longer until it fills the whole 24 hours by tomorrow.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bluetooth should keep updating your device continuously, every 5 minutes.
It does on my app.
@Jaylee I don’t believe you use the official LibreLink app.
If using the official app, it is only updated when the sensor is scanned.
I understand, the sensor sends the data via Bluetooth but only uses it to decide whether to alert or not and then discards the data.
The 8 hour data store remains on the sensor until it is scanned via NFC.

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the libre 1 and I only use the reader that came with it (phone currently too old!!). If I want to see all the numerical data collected outside of my scans, I log onto my libre account, upload the reader, then download the raw data and that shows all the 15 minute checks that it does itself. It shows as lines & lines of the numbers but is always worth a look as you can see the times it may have spiked at a time when you didn't scan it and see that number, if that makes sense.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People

This was really helpful. Changed my sensor for first time & keep getting false alarms of low BG, manual testing proving differently. Thanks a million!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the libre 1 and I only use the reader that came with it (phone currently too old!!). If I want to see all the numerical data collected outside of my scans, I log onto my libre account, upload the reader, then download the raw data and that shows all the 15 minute checks that it does itself. It shows as lines & lines of the numbers but is always worth a look as you can see the times it may have spiked at a time when you didn't scan it and see that number, if that makes sense.
Provided you scan within 8 hours, you can see the graph on your reader without the need to log on to your account,