Statins for over 40

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
I turned down statins last year as I felt the benefits v the risks were not for me. I may be wrong (probably wrong), but there's been nothing to convince me in the benefit of taking them.

Nothing has changed this year, but during my telephone appointment I agreed to take them. However I'm now having doubts and I don't want to take them. I've not picked up my prescription yet. Told to start taking and get blood tests in 6 weeks.

Can I simply change my mind? Should I cancel the blood tests if I do?

The only reason I've been given for being recommended is that I'm over 40 (I'm 41). That doesn't seem a good enough reason to me. They say my cholesterol was fine when last checked (2 years ago now though).

Also, I love grapefruit. Can I really not eat it while taking them?

Sorry if this sounds silly, but it's got me worried. Thanks for any advice.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s entirely up to you whether you collect the prescription. I’d be inclined to have the blood tests whatever if the last lipid panel you had was 2 years ago as then you’ll have a baseline.

No idea about grapefruit, sorry!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you don't want to take them, then don't. It's that simple, you don't have to and you cannot be forced to do so. I'm 51, never been offered statins and wouldn't accept them anyway.

I have never heard of needing to take them because you over 40, who told you this and did they produce any reason?

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fencer Grapefruit does interact with statins. This happens with a number of meds - my OH is on warfarin so can’t eat too much Brocolli or Kale because they interact with it also alcohol and antibiotics are not a good mix!
Re should you take statins or not ultimately it’s your decision but if age is the only factor I’d do a lot more research - there are a number of threads on here particularly as side effects are varied and, in some cases, severe inc raised BG, memory and muscle problems. In my case my hba1c rose from 48 to 54 and I had sudden dizzy spells and sleep disturbance.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I turned down statins last year as I felt the benefits v the risks were not for me. I may be wrong (probably wrong), but there's been nothing to convince me in the benefit of taking them.

Nothing has changed this year, but during my telephone appointment I agreed to take them. However I'm now having doubts and I don't want to take them. I've not picked up my prescription yet. Told to start taking and get blood tests in 6 weeks.

The only reason I've been given for being recommended is that I'm over 40 (I'm 41). That doesn't seem a good enough reason to me. They say my cholesterol was fine when last checked (2 years ago now though).

You choose what goes into your body, the medics are there for advice only.

I've never heard of age being a reason given for statins but am not surprised.

Go for the tests for sure and then you can make an informed decision. Make sure you water only fast for 12-14 hours before the bloods are taken and ask for a full lipid panel as anything else is pretty meaningless.

Good luck!

Reactions: OrsonKartt

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I have statins pushed at me constantly (my normal lipid levels are thought to be high) but I have always refused. There simply isn't a benefit for me. Since research procedures were tightened up around 2005, no studies have been able to demonstrate any reason to take statins for most people - small benefits seen for groups such as people who have already had one MI which might be outweighed by side effects. I will continue to refuse until someone can show a benefit to me, rather than to a population.

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would be worried about a GP who offered statins based on reaching 40 as it's nonsense. Statins should be offered on the basis of tests that show they may help. Currently that's a full lipids panel preferably a fasting test. You should look at the various ratios of HDL, LDL etc and not the total. This website and others given figures for good ratios. If the results show you need some statins then take the minimum dose needed to bring things in line.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
You can certainly change your mind I’ve been prescribed statins since a suspected heart attack 10 years ago…

I very rarely take them… I sometimes take them for a week or two every few months

I’m also prescribed blood pressure meds
Again I never take these

Had many discussions with my gp about the increased risks of cardiovascular disease and he still advises taking them…. But it’s just that.. advice.. again with the blood test you don’t have to do that if you don’t take the meds..

Just make sure you do your reading on the pros and cons and make your own mind over risk/gains etc

I’m at a stage where I couldn’t care either way if I’m alive tomorrow or not so it’s an easy decision for me there’s more cons than pros. So the only medication I actually take is insulin as that I do need to stay alive.

Your gp may try to persuade you to accept them.. they may say it’s policy to give them…. But no ones going to hold you down and force feed them to you.

Whatever you do.. make sure it’s your decision don’t let anyone else make it for you.. you are the one that will have to live with the possible consequences either way

Even if you decide no now.. you can still get them later if you change your mind

Reactions: Gannet

FSnow

See if you can see a Cardiologist and get a scan for plaque build up in your arteries etc. This is usually regarded as definitive as to the risk of cardiac issues and the necessity for medications or other actions..

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
See if you can see a Cardiologist and get a scan for plaque build up in your arteries etc. This is usually regarded as definitive as to the risk of cardiac issues and the necessity for medications or other actions..

I'd be very impressed if anyone managed that other than by paying privately. Probably costs over a thousand quid. x

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
This could all be unrelated of course, I watched a film called “the great cholesterol myth or scandal or something like that” which convinced me not to take them although I was under extreme pressure from docs. But this film was so compelling.

Fast forward eight years, had a mini stroke last July, the stroke consultant said he had watched the same film but suggested my odds were 10 times better of having a major stroke if I continue to refuse statins. Just been through heart bypass surgery due to clogged arteries, my cholesterol is 3.3.

reason for me telling my boring story, Statins are drugs and no drugs in my opinion should just be given in blanket form, but for some (me I guess) they are not necessarily evil, like I believed them to be.

edit, I am 50 so was around early 40s when I decided I knew better hehe

Reactions: ziggy_w and KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This could all be unrelated of course, I watched a film called “the great cholesterol myth or scandal or something like that” which convinced me not to take them although I was under extreme pressure from docs. But this film was so compelling.

Fast forward eight years, had a mini stroke last July, the stroke consultant said he had watched the same film but suggested my odds were 10 times better of having a major stroke if I continue to refuse statins. Just been through heart bypass surgery due to clogged arteries, my cholesterol is 3.3.

reason for me telling my boring story, Statins are drugs and no drugs in my opinion should just be given in blanket form, but for some (me I guess) they are not necessarily evil, like I believed them to be.

edit, I am 50 so was around early 40s when I decided I knew better hehe

Thanks for sharing your story. I don't consider them an evil in and of themselves, for certain people I am sure they are a life saver. Like you though, it's this 'take them just in case' concept which I dislike. Was there anything in your history 8 years ago to suggest you were at risk of a stroke?, if not then your reasons back then still stand and some people making the exact same decision as you didn't go on to have a mini stroke, NONE of us can know 100% what will happen in the future so I hope you don't beat yourself up over it. Now of course, you do have some tangible 'evidence' to consider whether to take a statin or not, and that's my point really, it's should be very much about the collective risk for an individual, not the 'Fenn & KK123 share a condition so they both must take a statin'. xx

Reactions: Fenn

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I was prescribed blood pressure meds 3 years ago, the worse thing as the side effects were terrible. Now my weight is coming off due to to exercise and low carb diet, my blood pressure is coming down and I am determined to come off them - with or without my gps tales of whoa. My stress levels and anxieties push the numbers up but I was in such a tizzy when prescribed them and from day one my hair began to fall out in clumps, I had always had thick hair. Despite taking a vitamin for hair and nails the nails grow like mad, the hair grows but its thin a lot thinner. I sometimes wonder if these drugs are pushed on us for another reason other than "health". The amount of times I have battled with gps about anxiety meds - only to be told by a senior psychiatrist that they cause terrible side effects and mask the problems, that talking is far better. Not rocket science is it. If I am going to have stroke then stick me on meds after the event not before when I can try and sort it out myself. As for statins, they know the answer I will give so they do not ask me now! Gp told me I was too young to be on BP meds and to lose weight, well I am so lets see what she says in a few more months!

Reactions: KK123

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Your choice. Your body. If you take it you will likely reduce your ldl cholesterol but are unlikely to reduce your risk of heart disease. You may get side effects. You won't really know whether it was worth taking them or not so re write the pros and cons list to remind yourself of your thoughts prior to the chat with the doctor.
As far as I know the grapefruit thing related to metformin not statins and may no longer be true in any case.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your choice. Your body. If you take it you will likely reduce your ldl cholesterol but are unlikely to reduce your risk of heart disease. You may get side effects. You won't really know whether it was worth taking them or not so re write the pros and cons list to remind yourself of your thoughts prior to the chat with the doctor.
As far as I know the grapefruit thing related to metformin not statins and may no longer be true in any case.
Any drug may have side effect, you have to take your own choices. But sometimes the risks of not having drugs are worse. Balance of probability and being informed. Statins as a blanket prescription I totally disagree with

However grapefruit can be a problem with some statins and some other drugs that do have interactions with grapefruit.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/medicines/does-grapefruit-affect-my-medicine/

Metformin has no food/juice interactions as far as I am aware

Reactions: KK123

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose the problem is, we will never know if taking them will help or hinder, this must point us to statistics, then we have the problem of manipulated statistics by those with a vested interest. So for me it comes down to choosing someone to trust, be it in person or online. Nothing easy about the statin question, I hope you choose the correct path.

Reactions: Lainie71 and zand

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any drug may have side effect, you have to take your own choices. But sometimes the risks of not having drugs are worse. Balance of probability and being informed. Statins as a blanket prescription I totally disagree with

However grapefruit can be a problem with some statins and some other drugs that do have interactions with grapefruit.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/medicines/does-grapefruit-affect-my-medicine/

Metformin has no food/juice interactions as far as I am aware
I stand corrected. This is 2007 and I think things have now improved.
Here are examples of some types of drugs that grapefruit juice can cause problems with (interact): Some statin drugs to lower cholesterol, such as Zocor (simvastatin) and Lipitor (atorvastatin). Some drugs that treat high blood pressure, such as Procardia and Adalat CC (both nifedipine).1