Oddness

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So I had one if my fake pizzas. Have gone incredibly thirsty so scannes sensor. At two hours was 5.5 and it had dropped quite quick, then 30 mins later had increased ton7.9 then 15 mins later 8.1.

my meters are both 5.9.

My libre says things are rising.
I only used meters to compare them

is the libre more reliable and accurate than the meters?

makos it’s got my in target range as 3.9-10.
10 seems very much too high but what range should I be setting it as as what I want?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. There is a margin for error with both. They also take their measurements from different sources: the meters from blood and the Libre from interstitial fluid. There’s a lag between the Libre and finger pricks.

it’s got my in target range as 3.9-10.
10 seems very much too high but what range should I be setting it as as what I want?
Yes.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
No. There is a margin for error with both. They also take their measurements from different sources: the meters from blood and the Libre from interstitial fluid. There’s a lag between the Libre and finger pricks.

Yes.
Thanks

what range would you suggest?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what range would you suggest?

Whatever targets you set yourself. My own targets are just that, applicable to me. The Libre won’t let you set a lower limit below 3.9, so just pick the upper end you’re aiming for.

Reactions: EllieM

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Whatever targets you set yourself. My own targets are just that, applicable to me. The Libre won’t let you set a lower limit below 3.9, so just pick the upper end you’re aiming for.
Well I’m thinking between 3.9 and 8. I may very well go higher than 8 but if I want to be in remission I need to spend most of the time below it. So at least it will show that I’m too high.
At the mo being at 10 shows I’m in target which I don’t think is right.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I had one if my fake pizzas. Have gone incredibly thirsty so scannes sensor. At two hours was 5.5 and it had dropped quite quick, then 30 mins later had increased ton7.9 then 15 mins later 8.1.

my meters are both 5.9.

My libre says things are rising.
I only used meters to compare them

Hi again.

What i have found with the meter & the Libre 2. whatever your meter says, there is a lag of around 20 minutes prior?
So if you were to take the reading from your sensor, wait around 15 to 20 then test. You should see something closer representing what is happening..

The meter is like a speed camera taking a snap shot on that point of the road.
The Libre is like a "dash cam" filming the drive.. ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can adjust the targets as often as you like, so you can just play with them.

The default setting is 4-10, as that is the general aim for T1's on insulin.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again.

What i have found with the meter & the Libre 2. whatever your meter says, there is a lag of around 20 minutes prior?
So if you were to take the reading from your sensor, wait around 15 to 20 then test. You should see something closer representing what is happening..

The meter is like a speed camera taking a snap shot on that point of the road.
The Libre is like a "dash cam" filming the drive.. ;)
I thought it was other way round. Ie interstitial lags behind meter so do meter first then libre. I’ve got a freebie sensor to use soon so good to double check this before then.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought it was other way round. Ie interstitial lags behind meter so do meter first then libre. I’ve got a freebie sensor to use soon so good to double check this before then.

Hi,
Yeah, I know what you are saying.
I read it once somewhere then tried it the "tut her way" & couldnt chop sense into it.
It seems to work for me. There was a member a while back who had a similar query & it resolved his question too?
It works on a BG climb too.? Preferably best done somewhere in range on a relative flat..

The only time I find the meter is in front of the sensor, is coming up out of a hypo. & even then I feel "normal" before the meter says.

To be fair the app I use graphs my BG trends as a linear line of dots representing every 5minutes?
So to save waiting I tap four dots back to see the reading representing the last 20 minutes (it shows the time & BG in the bottom left corner of XDrip.) & test. If it's within 0.6Mmol? I can roll with that... :)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You started the Libre today. As mentioned in another thread Libre is less accurate during the first 48 hours. Finger prick would be more accurate at this time.
Furthermore, Libre uses interstitial fluid which will be 15 minutes behind finger prick readings.

I strongly recommend you review the limitations of Libre as discussed in multiple threads.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Yes.

Remember that up to now the libre has mostly been used by T1 diabetics who are taking insulin, and for most of us T1s 10 is a reasonable upper limit. (I know there are T1s with normal blood sugars, but honestly they are the exception rather than rule). Once you have to inject insulin it's pretty hard to balance the time profile of the insulin with the time profile of the food you're eating.

I think it'll be a long time before many countries start subsiding libre for folk who are not on insulin, though I suspect it may be available in the US if you have an expensive enough health fund (though if you don't have insurance in the US you'll be lucky to be able to afford insulin let alone a cgm). And the people most likely to scrimp and save to get a libre (or dexcom) are those on insulin with reduced hypo awareness, because the ability of the system to (mostly) prevent you from getting hypos provides a benefit that is invaluable.

Anyway, it's great that so many people are getting the chance to try out the libre 2 (and I believe dexcom also have a free trial). I love my dexcom!:):):)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’m in the car (parked) so can’t check much but I did a scan out of interest at 9.30 and it was fine. Surprisingly worked over 3 thick layers of clothing lol.

but since then it just says error and glucose reading is unavailable and try 10 mins later. Has the libre 2 gone wrong?

just done it under the clothing and still sane thing.

could it be a phone signal thing? I am in a different place to where I was. Although phone is showing good signal.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m in the car (parked) so can’t check much but I did a scan out of interest at 9.30 and it was fine. Surprisingly worked over 3 thick layers of clothing lol.

but since then it just says error and glucose reading is unavailable and try 10 mins later. Has the libre 2 gone wrong?

could it be a phone signal thing? I am in a different place to where I was. Although phone is showing good signal.
Libre does not use the phone signal - it uses NFC. NFC works fine through multiple layers of clothing - it is designed that way and nothing to do with Libre.

Regarding the error you are seeing, there are a number of reasons this may happen such as your blood sugars changing quickly, the sensor becoming dislodged or a faulty sensor.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Libre does not use the phone signal - it uses NFC. NFC works fine through multiple layers of clothing - it is designed that way and nothing to do with Libre.

Regarding the error you are seeing, there are a number of reasons this may happen such as your blood sugars changing quickly, the sensor becoming dislodged or a faulty sensor.
Thanks.
It’s started working again now. By time I drove 5 mins up the road everything was fine.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Is there a way of seeing the actual glucose levels as numbers when it’s done auto by the sensor?
When I manually scan I can get it in the logbook but when it’s the behind the scenes ones it’s just on a graph so difficult to see the specific number. or is that all it does?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

They can do that from time to time.

If you have a "Librelink" account set up for Libreview? You may have registered as part of the free trial..
You phone might use data connection to upload the readings, but that shouldn't affect the NF C scanning.

Is there a way of seeing the actual glucose levels as numbers when it’s done auto by the sensor?
When I manually scan I can get it in the logbook but when it’s the behind the scenes ones it’s just on a graph so difficult to see the specific number. or is that all it does?

If I understand you correct.
There is a great free (& add free.) 3rd party app called "Diabox" that can do this. It will even give you your BGs on the home & lock screen?

I'll Tag in @nutribolt . He tuned me into the app.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
They can do that from time to time.

If you have a "Librelink" account set up for Libreview? You may have registered as part of the free trial..
You phone might use data connection to upload the readings, but that shouldn't affect the NF C scanning.

If I understand you correct.
There is a great free (& add free.) 3rd party app called "Diabox" that can do this. It will even give you your BGs on the home & lock screen?

I'll Tag in @nutribolt . He tuned me into the app.
Thank you.
I was wondering if putting the app on iPad would make it clearer but think scanning might be awkward.
Earlier I had a high glucose alert (I’ve set that to 8) but it didn’t tell me which number and tonight a low sugar one. I scanned but no idea what it thought it was

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you.
I was wondering if putting the app on iPad would make it clearer but think scanning might be awkward.
Earlier I had a high glucose alert (I’ve set that to 8) but it didn’t tell me which number and tonight a low sugar one. I scanned but no idea what it thought it was

To the best of my knowledge, it won't work on an iPad.

I own an iPad mini. "Not computable."

Mine don't have NFC.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a high glucose alert (I’ve set that to 8) but it didn’t tell me which number and tonight a low sugar one. I scanned but no idea what it thought it was
When you scan it should give the number on your screen. Does it do that?
The alarm tells you to scan to see what the actual number is.