Does this sound right?

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
So i'm type 2 on insulin and metformin.

Bloods are under good control and I spent a bit of time mowing the lawn about 1400 today.

Afterwards my blood sugars were around 5.5 - confirmed with libre2 and finger prick.

However, since then I've felt shaky (mainly my hands) - nothing dramatic but roughly what i'd expect if my bloods were low.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vibrations from my mower do that to me, as do vibrations from hedge trimmer and even my sons push bike when I ride it. I also get rsi from using keypads and keyboards. I don't think its diabetes related, more musculoskeletal or effort related perhaps?

Reactions: EllieM and Carl40

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Vibrations from my mower do that to me, as do vibrations from hedge trimmer and even my sons push bike when I ride it. I also get rsi from using keypads and keyboards. I don't think its diabetes related, more musculoskeletal or effort related perhaps?

That's interesting! Thanks.

You know I never even considered any alternative - being recently diagnosed anything a bit weird "must" be linked in my head :)

Can't say I've ever had that before but the physical exertion may well have played a role in it. Have been quite inactive lately so guess my body isn't used to it.

Thanks very much :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
being recently diagnosed
If your blood sugars have only recently come down from a long period of high levels then you can suffer false hypos, where your body gives you some hypo symptoms at normal levels such as 5.5 because it is used to much higher ones. False hypos stop when you get used to the new normal levels.

Reactions: Carl40

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would always get hypos after mowing the lawn. Anything below 5 and I would feel rubbish. Thankfully my lawn is much smaller now so I don't go hypo, trouble is I have no hypo awareness now, have a libre 2 which I'm very reliante on now.

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
If your blood sugars have only recently come down from a long period of high levels then you can suffer false hypos, where your body gives you some hypo symptoms at normal levels such as 5.5 because it is used to much higher ones. False hypos stop when you get used to the new normal levels.

Thanks Ellie,

Bloods have been relatively stable the last couple of months - averaging about 5.5 - 6.8 over a period of weeks now.

That said, had a bit of an issue last night which I'm going to record a separate post on.

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I would always get hypos after mowing the lawn. Anything below 5 and I would feel rubbish. Thankfully my lawn is much smaller now so I don't go hypo, trouble is I have no hypo awareness now, have a libre 2 which I'm very reliante on now.

I think my lowest after the lawn was 5.5 but I have felt false hypo symptoms around this level when I was first bringing my sugars down after diagnosis.

I'm onto my third Libre2 (initial trial + 2 replacements) and I love it. Am trying to fight the CCG for it on prescription. I will win out eventually whether it takes ages or not!

Can't imagine not having the awareness, that must be worrying to say the least.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had excellent awareness til not long ago. Since I caught covid in December I have lost awareness, Maculopathy and neuropathy seem to be present now. Was fighting fit before covid.

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I had excellent awareness til not long ago. Since I caught covid in December I have lost awareness, Maculopathy and neuropathy seem to be present now. Was fighting fit before covid.

Hope you return to some form of normality! Have heard covid causing a number of knock-on issues for people which is awful.

Reactions: JMK1954 and kvetiny