Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @megan ,

I noticed this is a screenshot of a message you posted in another quite old topic?

It would be great if you got some relevant help & support with your issue.

Would you like me to take your initial post from the topic & create your own?

In the meantime, it may help others replying if you let us know what sort of diet you have adopted.?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Without knowing your dietary regime or if you have anything else going on, my advice as a fellow Roche INsiqht user is to suggest you have some different basal rates set up e.g. PMT rate, Normal rate, Ill rate etc.
My last haba1c was 64 (up from 58) so I bit the bullet and upped my insulin. I was fearful of insulin resistance/weight gain but is but this hasn't happened and my basal hasn't increased by that much but just getting ahead of the highs has helped more than trying to manage them down from the other side.
How did you know you were insulin resistant?
I don't use tbr because I find it too hard to have alarms going off when the tbr has finished. I have worked out when my lows were happening and tweaked the hours just before and during. This and a bit of discipline over bolus timings and evening snacking have been helpful for me.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Hi @megan ,

I noticed this is a screenshot of a message you posted in another quite old topic?

It would be great if you got some relevant help & support with your issue.

Would you like me to take your initial post from the topic & create your own?

In the meantime, it may help others replying if you let us know what sort of diet you have adopted.?

Yes please to creating post, I couldn't after I realised I should have started my own post to begin with.
Over time I have done low carb. I have done no carb. I react to this in an unhelpful way, my dr says my liver reacts by chucking out glucose and so following these eating lifestyles don't with for me and I need to include more carbs.

I don't eat til lunch time. I have a sandwich. I have a basic dinner of chicken and veg or eggs and rice, salad, ratatouille, a roast on a Sunday etc

Yesterday and today have completely flipped around and my insulin need has dropped! I've dialled my basal down to -10% and I've had 3 hypos in 24 hours. Only last week my basal was on my own standard setting and occasionally on +10%!
Fluctuations through out the month
A month ago I was on standard setting in the morning and -10% in the afternoon

When I've asked tor help I normally get told to do more basal testing. I'd just be doing it all the time time the way my weeks go

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Without knowing your dietary regime or if you have anything else going on, my advice as a fellow Roche INsiqht user is to suggest you have some different basal rates set up e.g. PMT rate, Normal rate, Ill rate etc.
My last haba1c was 64 (up from 58) so I bit the bullet and upped my insulin. I was fearful of insulin resistance/weight gain but is but this hasn't happened and my basal hasn't increased by that much but just getting ahead of the highs has helped more than trying to manage them down from the other side.
I don't use tbr because I find it too hard to have alarms going off when the tbr has finished. I have worked out when my lows were happening and tweaked the hours just before and during. This and a bit of discipline over bolus timings and evening snacking have been helpful for me.

I have different basal rates -20%, -10%, standard, +10% and +20%.
When I'm I'll it can go up or down, no typical pattern and as for pmt, I never know when that is except when my blood sugars start going higher then I know to switch the basal. But again.... it has no rhyme nor reason, what works one month doesn't work the next

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********

I have been told for 15 years I'm insulin resistant because I'm told I'm on a lot of insulin . 66 units a day is an average. I had it hammered into me by that team that I'd be as big as a house if I continued on that level of insulin. They even told me not to increase my insulin when my blood sugars peaked 20 during my second pregnancy. I couldn't in all good conscience do that do eventually I did increase my own insulin and I'm glad I did

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have different basal rates -20%, -10%, standard, +10% and +20%.
When I'm I'll it can go up or down, no typical pattern and as for pmt, I never know when that is except when my blood sugars start going higher then I know to switch the basal. But again.... it has no rhyme nor reason, what works one month doesn't work the next
I cope with similar fluctuations by not expecting any particular basal rate to work forever. That and eating low carb. Seems totally daft that your team told you not to increase insulin during pregnancy which is such an insulin resistant stage anyway (at least in the latter stages!).
You might be interested to know that the Dexcom + Tandem IQ pump system correct blood sugars at both ends and seems to be available in some CCGs at least . I plan to ask which hoops I must jump through to get one as I think it will be the next game changer.
Btw do you find the metformin makes any difference to your basal needs? I have been offered it though I am not on much insulin nor overweight much (bmi 26). I know it is a good medication but instinctively don't want to take additional meds!

Reactions: megan

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I cope with similar fluctuations by not expecting any particular basal rate to work forever. That and eating low carb. Seems totally daft that your team told you not to increase insulin during pregnancy which is such an insulin resistant stage anyway (at least in the latter stages!).
You might be interested to know that the Dexcom + Tandem IQ pump system correct blood sugars at both ends and seems to be available in some CCGs at least . I plan to ask which hoops I must jump through to get one as I think it will be the next game changer.
Btw do you find the metformin makes any difference to your basal needs? I have been offered it though I am not on much insulin nor overweight much (bmi 26). I know it is a good medication but instinctively don't want to take additional meds!

Years ago I was on metformin and I didn't notice much difference. This time round I've been on it for about 8 or so years and I do notice a difference. I'd rather not be on the extra 4 tablets a day... maybe one day my resistance will improve. I've been offered byetta again. Last time I was very sick with it