How did your neuropathy start?

73_NCT

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
PN diagnosed some years ago now with previous experience of a numbness developing over some 20 years ago starting with the ends of the big toe and other toes in turn, developing into the feet over time. However diabetes has not been diagnosed despite being checked regularly as a result of sight loss issues. I was advised that I was prediabetic at an early stage and moderated my diet along the low carb diet message. Whilst the PN issues have not reversed they are manageable.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How did I miss this thread first time around?

years ago (nearly 20) I got a numb big toe. Mainly just the top of it.
Back in those days I had never heard of neuropathy, and I kind of ignored it.
Then, after about 3 months, I met someone who said that numb big toes are kind of a giveaway for nerve entrapment in the L5 vertebra (just as numbness in little finger and outer side of ring finger is a dead giveaway for nerve entrapment of one particular nerve in shoulder/neck).
That person recommended a chiropractor, but at the time that wasn't practical, and I ended up doing some gentle spine aligning yoga poses for a while, and the numbness resolved itself.

Hope that helps.

Here are a couple of links that discuss the situation I found myself in.

https://centenoschultz.com/big-toe-numbness/#:~:text=Big toe numbness can be,, and or, poor circulation.
and
https://regenexx.com/blog/big-toe-numb/#gref

I’ve had mri’s now on the whole spine and even my head due to these nerve issues and all came back clear so I assume this means no entrapment. As I say many of the issues have settled a bit now so I’m taking it for what it is. If it reoccurs the search for the cause will begin anew

Oddly I also had that ulna nerve little finger thing. Ignored it for years. Eventually sought help and needed up with surgery to release the nerve at the elbow. It didn’t change anything as apparently the damage was too much but I was told without the surgery it would have continued to deteriorate. All happened prior to diagnosis at 55mmol. Who knows but in the 4 yrs since then it’s stayed the same.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had mri’s now on the whole spine and even my head due to these nerve issues and all came back clear so I assume this means no entrapment. As I say many of the issues have settled a bit now so I’m taking it for what it is. If it reoccurs the search for the cause will begin anew

Oddly I also had that ulna nerve little finger thing. Ignored it for years. Eventually sought help and needed up with surgery to release the nerve at the elbow. It didn’t change anything as apparently the damage was too much but I was told without the surgery it would have continued to deteriorate. All happened prior to diagnosis at 55mmol. Who knows but in the 4 yrs since then it’s stayed the same.

I had the little finger thing too! That is how I know it happens. :)

Mine was - thankfully - all sorted by a single appt with a chiropractor who manipulated my spine a little and did some deep massage to the shoulder/neck muscles. Was sent away with some 'nerve threading' exercises. Hasn't recurred in 4 years, I am delighted to say.

Notlob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just started to have issues with neuropathy it started in my little toe and gradually to all toe over the coarse of the day, I still have sensation and I can only describe the feeling as my toes being on a warm wet sponge.
Still have sensation just this weird feeling , for some reason my hb1c has been high , currently trying different tablets by the diabetic team at my local health centre

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Definitely get your Vit 12 and Folic acid levels checked.

I developed non-diabetic peripheral neuropathy some years ago. Several years after first reporting symptoms in my feet and 2 house moves later (ie 2 new doctors) I was referred via an optician (pressurising my GP) to the hospital because I'd developed sight issues too, The ophthalmology doctors asked my GP twice to do a range of blood tests, the first time my appointment was cancelled as he hadn't done them, the second he'd only done part of the panel and the doctor at the hospital saw me, ranted about my incompetent GP and referred me to neurology. At which point my Vit B levels were finally tested. I had a serious Folic acid deficiency, corrected by pills after that but the damage was done and it only partially reversed since.
Every time I'd reported the symptoms to a GP they tested me for diabetes because I was fat, then ignored the symptoms when those tests came back OK.
I was taken off the Folic acid a couple of years ago as my level was good, and a year later I was having nerve problems again, and yes, it was much too low again. I was given 1 month prescription and told (over the phone via a receptionist) to eat more green veg - but since going low carb I have at least 3 portions of green veg a day. So I did my own research and discovered one of the pills I take for another condition can cause low levels of B12 and Folic acid. As I haven't seen or spoken with a GP for 10 months I'm now buying my own folic acid.

kborwick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm curious about this too. Does it start with just one toe, or would it be symmetrical? Right now, I am experiencing a similar feeling in one thumb, only on the thumbprint side. Weird.
I have extensive peripheral neuropathy due to being type one for nearly 50 years. I didn’t notice my feet going numb it was prick test by doctor but later I felt tingling but not in specific area. My feet felt burning hot or numb but not tingling. I get that now though but it took 15 years to develop. I don’t think there is a typical presentation everyone will be different. Honestly if only had it a treat I doubt if it’s that it could be tight fitting shoes etc. Usually takes at least a decade of poorer control to do damage x

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had neuropathy and it was as follows: two completely numb toes on the right foot, pain in the soles of both feet: permanent pins and needles in the right thumb, extreme sensitivity to touch in the left ring finger and right elbow (f I touched any surface, it felt just like a drawing pin being driven in). The doctor said it was mainly due to hyperlipidemia, as my triglycerides at the time were above 32 (320 in American measurements). I went on a very low-carb, low-cal diet and the neuropathy faded gradually but almost completely as I got my sugars and cholesterol under control.

Reactions: Dadio

Caprock94

I had neuropathy and it was as follows: two completely numb toes on the right foot, pain in the soles of both feet: permanent pins and needles in the right thumb, extreme sensitivity to touch in the left ring finger and right elbow (f I touched any surface, it felt just like a drawing pin being driven in). The doctor said it was mainly due to hyperlipidemia, as my triglycerides at the time were above 32 (320 in American measurements). I went on a very low-carb, low-cal diet and the neuropathy faded gradually but almost completely as I got my sugars and cholesterol under control.

That's good to hear! Glad it got better for you. How long did it take?