Pump

Sedge15

Hi

I’d be really grateful for your advice. My son has just been approved to have a pump and we’ve been given a choice of the following 4 to choose from:
Medtronic 640G
Tandem T:Slim
Dana RS
Medtrum

We could really use some advice/feedback as to which you think are best. Paddy is nearly 16.

Thank you

Sara

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No chance of been able to push for the Medtronic 780G instead?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Best in what regard?
What is good for one person may not be important to another.
They all have their good points.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I’d be really grateful for your advice. My son has just been approved to have a pump and we’ve been given a choice of the following 4 to choose from:
Medtronic 640G
Tandem T:Slim
Dana RS
Medtrum

We could really use some advice/feedback as to which you think are best. Paddy is nearly 16.

Thank you

Sara

Hi Sara,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a pump user. But I will tag in a few guys that may give an insight.

@searley @Juicyj @Nicole T @Chas C @Jollymon

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sara @Sedge15

All pumps on there own offer very similar capabilities, choice is mostly down to size and weight. The t:slim also has ability to link to Dexcom G6 CGM so it acts like a dimmer switch turning up and down (or off) your insulin based upon your blood sugar.

Its not on your list but mentioned by @Maco the Medtronic 780G which uses its own CGM system and is very much like the t:slim in operation.

The Medtrum A7 also has its own CGM system but I'm not sure if its fully released or available in the UK, I've not heard of anyone using it (that I can recall). The Medtrum A7 is a tubeless pump (patch pump) too, where the other three have tubing between the pump and the infusion site.

Hope this helps, it really depends on your son's needs. Each have different positives, I myself prefer tubed pumps that I can take off if playing sport, but some like the waterproof tubeless patch pumps but a 16 year old may not want people seeing his pump stuck to his skin........

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the trouble with asking pump users which pump they suggest is that typically we start on one and stick to the same brand! I am a Samsung user and won't change to Apple and I change my Roche insight pump much less often than my phone!
Glad he has approval for a pump. Have a look at the link for Tandem because they've developed a system that works with a continuous glucose monitor to stop insulin when bg is dropping and to stop high bloods sugars too.
Not all CCGs may offer this but you might be able to push for it if your son has bad hypos or is really struggling totake his insulin properly. I think this kind of system will be the future and if I had a diabetic child I'd want them to have a normal a life as possible without risking complications.
https://www.makingdiabeteseasier.com/uk/products-and-support/cgm-integration

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the trouble with asking pump users which pump they suggest is that typically we start on one and stick to the same brand! I am a Samsung user and won't change to Apple and I change my Roche insight pump much less often than my phone!
I agree with this, there's probably a few people who have tried two different pumps, fewer who have tried 3 or more.
I like Medtronic but have only used Medtronic.
I'm also a Samsung user and my consultant said that Medtronic are the Apple of insulin pumps, I was not impressed :hilarious:

Sedge15

Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated. It’s a bit of a minefield isn’t it?

We are going to clinic to view the pumps on Thursday - I’ll keep you posted!

Thanks again