About to be diagnosed high blood sugar 4 weeks ago

Condorhulse

Hello very new to all this so here goes. I had a urine test about 6 weeks ago at the doctors and was advised to go for bloods because glucose was showing in my urine, so booked an appointment had the test and waited 3days to find out my results. I rang the doctors to be told I couldn’t have my results but I had high blood sugar and needed another blood test which I booked over the phone. I was left very frustrated as I was now becoming worried so jumped online to see what it was all about as you do. I became very concerned as I was seeing diabetes everywhere. My appointment was booked for a week later and was seen by a lovely lady who sat me down explained all my results and got the ball rolling. Whilst I was doing my research online I came across a person called dr Cyrus khambatta who runs mastering diabetes. He was diagnosed with with type 1 at age 21 with 2 other auto immune diagnosis at the same time and took it upon himself after a year of trying a diabetic diet to control his blood sugars. His diet is a pure plant based whole food diet fruits veg beans and more high fibre carb and low fat diet. So I have adopted this diet as I have a very active job and felt like death on a high fat low carb diet. I must admit that I have never been a skinny lad always played a lot of rugby into my mid twenties been 6 foot 3 and built like a brick s***house as I was told had its advantages. I am a 30 year old male aswell, I have always been active and have had a good education on how exercise is important to a healthy life. When I first found out I might have diabetes I bought a blood glucose meter and was shocked my bloods where at 15.6 and rose to 19.1 later that night. Now after sticking to my diet continued the exercise around 7mile runs every other day and home cardio when I don’t run my levels have dropped to between 6 and 8.1. My fasting levels 4 weeks ago was around 12 to 13 and are now 8.1 so what I am doing I feel is working fruit a bowl of fruit I might add for breakfast bulgar wheat salad for lunch and a nice tofu salad later on.

I still haven’t been diagnosed with either condition yet but have been talking to my doctor and a nutritionalist and have very conflicting ideas doctor what’s to put me on metformin as soon as possible but the nutritionalist says I am doing amazing all my numbers have come down and says if they are coming down on there own with diet and exercise I should see how that goes?

I really don’t want to go onto tablets if possible and have read a few bad things about metformin also good things so am very conflicted?

I also shocked at the price of testing strips as I was doing around 5 a day now have gone down to 2 a day morning and after my main meal.

Dose this continue forever having to pay £20 every time for strips or is there help out there?

Sorry for the long story but would really like so help with all this and getting to know the conditions side effects and any other etc

NannyClover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, from another Newbie!
First of all, congratulations on the improvements to your figures. It looks like you’ve done amazingly well in a very short space of time.

Like you, I’m only a few weeks into my diabetes journey and I appreciate how confusing it all is at this stage. All, I can recommend is to read and research as much as you can. There’s so much out there and though there’s conflicting advice you will eventually become much more familiar and comfortable with it all. This website and the forums have been a lifeline for me! It sounds like you have found a way of eating that works for you so that’s good news. One of the things to consider is whether you feel it will be sustainable in the long term as diabetes is a lifelong journey.

I also am reluctant to begin medication at this early stage, choosing the diet and exercise route to begin with (though the LCHF method was my choice). I was pleasant, but firm, with the nurse who wanted to start me on metformin and we have agreed to further blood tests in 6 weeks to see how I’m doing. It’s your choice, your body and no-one can make you take medication.

My understanding is that T2 diabetics do not qualify for testing meters and strips, but you could always ask. The irony is that they may tell you that you’re not eligible and that T2s “don’t need to test” then in the next breath they’ll ask you what your BG readings were :)

I’m sure some of the more experienced and knowledgeable members will be responding very shortly to offer you more informed opinions and sage advice.

Many congratulations on your achievements so far and good luck!

Condorhulse

Hi, from another Newbie!
First of all, congratulations on the improvements to your figures. It looks like you’ve done amazingly well in a very short space of time.

Like you, I’m only a few weeks into my diabetes journey and I appreciate how confusing it all is at this stage. All, I can recommend is to read and research as much as you can. There’s so much out there and though there’s conflicting advice you will eventually become much more familiar and comfortable with it all. This website and the forums have been a lifeline for me! It sounds like you have found a way of eating that works for you so that’s good news. One of the things to consider is whether you feel it will be sustainable in the long term as diabetes is a lifelong journey.

I also am reluctant to begin medication at this early stage, choosing the diet and exercise route to begin with (though the LCHF method was my choice). I was pleasant, but firm, with the nurse who wanted to start me on metformin and we have agreed to further blood tests in 6 weeks to see how I’m doing. It’s your choice, your body and no-one can make you take medication.

My understanding is that T2 diabetics do not qualify for testing meters and strips, but you could always ask. The irony is that they may tell you that you’re not eligible and that T2s “don’t need to test” then in the next breath they’ll ask you what your BG readings were :)

I’m sure some of the more experienced and knowledgeable members will be responding very shortly to offer you more informed opinions and sage advice.

Many congratulations on your achievements so far and good luck!

[/

Thank you for that . They haven’t diagnosed me with type one or two yet I go for more bloods tomorrow for that one . I have dabbled on a plant based before but bbq season and my smoker in my garden always came calling fingers crossed this will give me the kick I need to stay on it. Feeling a lot more happier on this diet so much energy and a better positive mind set than I had 4 weeks ago. Hope all is going well for yourself on this journey and we can all support each other aswell through this forum which is great

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there @Condorhulse, have they actually said that you are definitely type 2? If they are still deliberating (and they often do for weeks sometimes), then it's a good idea to do your testing as that will provide relevant information for them. Have they said whether they are doing any specific tests, ie a C Peptide test and antibody test (to help determine whether type 1 etc). You say you are still undiagnosed so just bear in mind that lower carbing may mask what is really going on. x

Reactions: JMoli and Rach612

Condorhulse

Hi there @Condorhulse, have they actually said that you are definitely type 2? If they are still deliberating (and they often do for weeks sometimes), then it's a good idea to do your testing as that will provide relevant information for them. Have they said whether they are doing any specific tests, ie a C Peptide test and antibody test (to help determine whether type 1 etc). You say you are still undiagnosed so just bear in mind that lower carbing may mask what is really going on. x

They have said I have some sort of diabetes but they are going to do more blood tests tomorrow. I am tracking my own BG levels so I have a history of what’s happening day to day I am eating carbs vegetables beans fruits seeds nuts all wholefoods really and tofu. They have done 2 bloods upto now third tomorrow to decide what type I have.