What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It may have been the steak, some people report higher BS after having a steak and also in to the following day - I am lucky it doesn't raise mine at all

I do find that large amounts of protein do spike my blood sugar. This was a small steak, so I wouldn't expect it to... but you never know. My money is still on the veggie fries as I was sort of pushing the boundaries by having them in the first place - I know better, I just choose sometimes to ignore the wisdom that I've learned lol.

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do find that large amounts of protein do spike my blood sugar. This was a small steak, so I wouldn't expect it to... but you never know. My money is still on the veggie fries as I was sort of pushing the boundaries by having them in the first place - I know better, I just choose sometimes to ignore the wisdom that I've learned lol.
Same with me. Whenever we bbq I typically eat a selection of different meat and much more than I would otherwise and I always get a higher FBG and levels next day.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, I had a latish breakfast today of a leftover slice of topside with fried eggs and spinach.
Hoped that would see me through to evening meal but I ended up having a Babybell, a few olives and around an inch of chorizo at lunchtime.
Evening meal was oxtail cooked in IP with a DD keto roll to mop up the sauce. DGF cake and cup of tea now.
All good so far @Mrs T 123 - it was the Oxford AZ jab. I think it was a couple of weeks after first dose that my BGs got higher though.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the time of year for asparagus!
They're still an expensive vegetable but they tasted wonderful!

I had them with mashed egg with butter and salt and pepper, and a 'jalapeno burger', saving me the work of adding salt and pepper to a plain burger :hilarious:
But to be fair, the burger was very nice, and more interesting than if I had added spices to a plain one. At 2 grams of carbs I can't complain :)

175894440_10223333889209814_4107733044177153499_n.jpg

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: ribs with roasted veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Straight to exercise class today. Felt good to be back after most of my classes had an Easter break
12:30 smoked mackerel pate on lc soda bread, 4 slices cucumber. An lc brownie with cream and a strawberry rhubarb jelly
17:30 cold roast beef with kale and cabbage. I did steal 2 tiny slices of sautéed potatoes from hubby. Very tasty but that was enough to satisfy craving and curiosity
Lc rhubarb cake with cream and another jelly

Onlinecaroline

Lunch - 2 slices of SLC toast with corn beef and thick butter, few slices of polish sausage, a Babybel and a sugar free jelly.

A fibre one protein bar

Dinner - chicken fajitas with peppers, cheese, sour cream and homemade guacamole with one carb zone wrap. Followed by a DGF strawberries and cream blondie.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So far this morning, two sausages wrapped in a Staffordshire oatcake, one cup of gunpowder tea and one cup of coffee. Yesterday's breakfast was fairly similar, but for lunch I had a bowl of spinach and mushroom soup, some cheese and a few crackers. My evening meal was a vegetable curry with no rice or root vegetables. I did a lot of exercise yesterday, too.

Onlinecaroline

Magnificent - well done!
And are you enjoying the food?
Thank you! This thread in particular has been a life saver for ideas.

I am, it’s nice to be able to eat butter without any guilt! I miss certain things like a sandwich from my favourite cafe and the ease of going out for a meal. But I think that’s just par for the course.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood test results came back, HBA1c down to 36 from 88! Delighted!

That’s fantastic! Well and truly in the non diabetic zone!
I’m not surprised, as your food choices always look great and it’s good to know you’re enjoying it too - that’s half the battle.
Well done!

Reactions: Onlinecaroline

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent HbA1c result @Onlinecaroline congratulations!

@PenguinMum @luceeloo I find that I can eat pretty much unlimited protein without spiking my blood sugars, so long as it’s just meat/fish alone, or perhaps with the odd bit of veg.

However, combine it with something more energy dense (whether carbs or fat) such as nuts or cheese and it’ll go higher than normal and for some time. The fat attached to meat doesn’t seem to have the same effect. Took me ages to figure that out, and the nuts/cheese don’t even contribute much to feeling full. Sometimes the opposite, making me think I’m hungry!

Today has been a 2 course OMAD. Was on way home for lunch around noon and got a phone call that went on over an hour. By the time I’d popped to the shops and got home it didn’t seem worth trying to fit two meals in, so just waited a bit and had one large one.

Air fried pork belly pieces coated in chilli oil and salt followed by brined chicken wings, also air fried. Yum.

E11AEE24-D74D-4722-9B57-DFED32552FB4.jpeg

Onlinecaroline

Lunch - SLC bread with Boursin cheese, a babybel and half a Matthesons sausage. Plus a sugar free jelly for dessert.

Dinner - aubergine lasagne followed by a DGF strawberries and cream blondie and maybe a phd protein bar as my husband has bought some and I’m intrigued.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasted from 6pm last evening until 12:30 pm today.
L: leftover cold beef reheated with left over Thai green curry paste, served in a 1 egg omelette wrap with half a small avocado and a tablespoon of coleslaw (what I call fusion cooking, what family calls bottom of the fridge miracle food)
Hubby had his in a ciabatta roll like a sloppy Joe.
One piece lc rhubarb cake with cream
4pm 8 pecan nuts
D: 6pm belly pork done in air fryer with courgette, carrots. One piece lc rhubarb cake with cream. Oh, and I had 20g cheese crisps while cooking

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: chilli with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese omelette, sausages, mushrooms for breakfast.
Two chicken and kimchi laced salad low carb wraps for lunch.
Rib fillet steak, veggies and gravy for dinner.

Had my AZ covid 19 vax yesterday afternoon, I had to go to a different medical practice for it. They had a good setup for it, a bit like a production line to keep things moving.My appointment for the second one is in June.

No problems with it this morning so far, I was given a printed info handout about side effects after the vax,

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...accination-after-your-astrazeneca-vaccine.pdf

Edit: added link to printed info.

Last edited: