Pfizer Jab causing Insulin Resistance?

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
I'm the same, had second AZ 4 weeks ago and have had difficulties with similar raised blood sugars that everyone else in this thread has reported. The last few days seem a bit better though, am puzzled!

Hi. I had my first AZ jab end Feb. Still waiting for the second one. I had high fever overnight and slept badly, but felt better next day. BS was raised initially but improved after a few days, more or less normal after a week. Most of the time it’s better than it’s ever been, I think partly because I’m not driving so often so can run really low. I have split my Lantus into two doses and reduced it v slightly since Aug 2019 which was a huge turning point and high fat, lower carb seems to work well. The downside seems to be less tolerance of carbs generally and cake (even small amounts) in particular. Sigh...... That realisation pre-dated the vaccine though, so can’t blame that!

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my first Pfizer dose at the end of Feb and was hugely insulin sensitive for a week - hypo upon hypo even dropping dosages down. No idea if the 2nd dose will do the same but my neighbour has been in hospital since Jan with covid so I'm definitely having the jab

Reactions: oldgreymare

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a meeting at the hospital yesterday and I mentioned about the problems I have had after the covid jab and yes they were aware of increase need of insulin for some diabetics and accepted my need for increase in my Basel rates and my bolus rates and said with my minimed 640g and sensors, Basel rates increase would be o.k. as my pump would cut off the insulin if my bg,s dropped to low so at least I can control this problem, I just hope things return to normal soon

Reactions: StewM

jocomi

I had this problem a couple of weeks after the Pfizer jab but the sugars went back to normal after 2 weeks. I’ve now had the second jab and the problem has reversed, I have reduced my boluses by 25% and still getting too many lows. Of course I won’t mind if it stays that way and I can reduce the insulin even further.

Mguyver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm the same, had second AZ 4 weeks ago and have had difficulties with similar raised blood sugars that everyone else in this thread has reported. The last few days seem a bit better though, am puzzled!
I had the Pfizer jab 8 weeks ago, I'm Type 1 for almost 50 years and well controlled. However since the jab I've developed Insulin Resistance, most infusions weren't lasting the normal 3 days, my blood sugars were constantly rising and not dropping at all after large correction bolus', changing the cannulas 5 -7 times a day just to get the BS to drop, but usually went back up again after a few hours. I've now reverted to manual injections of Lantus and novorapid, and if injecting more than 10 units I only put it up to 10u, then swap to somewhere on my body for the rest. I firmly believe Pfizer jab is responsible by making my antibodies more aggressive. Not sure where to go from here, if there is no cure for this IR, and retraining my body to accept lower doses of insulin doesn't appear to be effective. There am I now terminally ill?
My resistance never returned to normal. I’m on my 5th jab. Now that the virus mutated to a common cold, maybe I can stop getting jabbed. Wonder if I’ll ever get back to normal.

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My resistance never returned to normal. I’m on my 5th jab. Now that the virus mutated to a common cold, maybe I can stop getting jabbed. Wonder if I’ll ever get back to normal.

I think that's a good idea.

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.

I had 0 jabs, simply because people I knew who had it, had pretty terrible side-effects and some are still ongoing.