Type 1 Disposal of Free style libre 2 sensors and applicator

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

I am a new user of Free style libre 2 and can put sensors in sharps box but what do I do with the sensor applicator? It is too big to go in any sharps box I have had. Can I just throw it away? Any advice from more experienced users would be appreciated.

David

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The applicator is the bit that has the sharp bits in it, the sensor doesn't, so the sensors don't need to go into sharps bins, I just threw the sensors in the bin - in fact I definitely didn't put the sensors in the sharps bin as they have batteries in them..
The applicators I'm not really sure though, I dismantled them (with a pair of pliers :)) and got the needle out and put that in the sharps bin, however I had to be careful not to injure myself - so yeah, not sure really especially as the needle is fully contained within it., so you may not need to with that either.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi David, I was prescribed a 7 litre sharps bin when I started on the libre, the applicators go in there. I've had 5 litre ones from the pharmacy a few times and I had to take the lid off to put the applicators in as the hole was too small, but that's another option. Sensors just go in the normal bin.

sgm14

Not everybody agrees on what should be done. I have read several times that Abbott reps have said they don't need to go into the sharps box, but that contradicts https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/freestyle-libre/faqs#category-15-3 (which is an Abbott website) which says:

Used or unused Sensor packaging can go in general waste.

Once the FreeStyle Libre sensor has been placed on the arm, the used applicator (which contains a needle) and the lid can be screwed back together and can be placed in a yellow biohazard bag or sharps box.

The used FreeStyle Libre sensor should be placed in a clinical waste sharps box.

Not the wording 'can be placed' vs 'should be placed' .

Personally, I hold the used sensor over the sharps box (with the 'needle' pointing down) and poke it out with a pen (which is quite easy to do) So the 'needle' goes in the sharps box and the rest of the sensor in general waste. The applicator just goes in general waste.

What I would like to know (if anyone knows) are there any parts that can go into the recycle bin as opposed to general waste?

Also can any parts of the insulin pens or the plastic holder that the needles come in, be recycled?

Reactions: Bill_St

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I disassemble the sensor, take the battery out (you can put in some watches or whatever :)) and disassemble the applicator and throw the plastic into plastic container and the metal parts into the general waste... Maybe you could get some use of the spring inside also o_O

Reactions: richling

jgjhfkuyfkyf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I disassemble the sensor, take the battery out (you can put in some watches or whatever :)) and disassemble the applicator and throw the plastic into plastic container and the metal parts into the general waste... Maybe you could get some use of the spring inside also o_O
I do the same but put the needle into the sharps bin . The middle of the sensor can be pushed out with a biro and put in the sharps bin as it has the sensor that goes under the skin, then I put the body of the sensor in the battery
recycling bin at the tip, oops , recycling centre.

Reactions: Bill_St

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I throw the used sensor in the bin as it has no sharp bits.
I had not considered the issue of batteries.
[Used to throw it in the sharps bin until I realised there was nothing sharp there.]

I recycle all the cardboard and paper packaging and all the plastic bits from the applicator.
I throw the bit with the spring and needle into the rubbish.

I don't think I have to time nor inclination to disassemble lots of fiddly bits every 2 weeks.

Reactions: miahara

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Chance of a needle-stick injury from a sensor filament is virtually nil and the chance of anyone getting stabbed by the needle in an applicator, particularly if it has been screwed back into the container is zero too. Mine all go into general waste destined for landfill.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Diggler and plantae

MilaSM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

I am a new user of Free style libre 2 and can put sensors in sharps box but what do I do with the sensor applicator? It is too big to go in any sharps box I have had. Can I just throw it away? Any advice from more experienced users would be appreciated.

David
I throw mine in the bin

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the applicator it’s a pity they can’t be recycled or repurposed (as some kind of craft project or something, I dunno). Just seems like a lot of plastic to ‘waste’

• Agree
Reactions: bobandpat

Juliebelle2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I put the applicator in a large sharps bin provided by my gp practice (also used needles go in too).
The clear plastic cover goes in my recycling bin.
The sensor which has a battery inside I rub over with a wipe (same sort as used on arm before applying sensor) and put in a plastic bag and save until I have several then put them in the battery disposal box at our local tip.

ninasings

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
There is soo much plastic in the pharma industry I sometimes wonder whether going back to the 60's when my mum had insulin injections from a glass syringe w insulin drawn up from vial kept in the fridge wasn't more eco friendly

Toodlepip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is soo much plastic in the pharma industry I sometimes wonder whether going back to the 60's when my mum had insulin injections from a glass syringe w insulin drawn up from vial kept in the fridge wasn't more eco friendly
When I was diagnosed in 1986 that’s what I was given. Struggling being a newbie using this, which involved sterilising after each use (twice a day) I soon started buying packs of 10 disposable needles from my meagre wages (I did re-use them ).
I agree with the shocking amount of plastic but no, I don’t want to return to use of glass syringe. Albeit many years ago, we managed to put men on the moon so surely it’s not a big ask to achieve some way of injecting that’s more environmentally friendly

Owenn01

"Once the FreeStyle Libre sensor has been placed on the arm, the used applicator (which contains a needle) and the lid can be screwed back together and can be placed in a yellow biohazard bag or sharps box.
The used FreeStyle Libre sensor should be placed in a clinical waste sharps box."

Just what I do as these are then incinerated, which I suspect is equally friendly/unfriendly as landfill but potentially slightly better for the environment. You will need one of the larger (1.8 or 2L?) sharps boxes but they are available of repeat 'script anyway.

Reactions: Marion52