Type 2 Metformin question.

thequietgoth

Hi,

I am newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The doctor put on a medication called Metformin. I wanted to ask, has anyone lost weight on the medication bc I seemed to at my latest weigh in lost 12 pounds in a week? I was already on a healthy eating & exercise programme & was only looking about 2 pounds a week but it jumped in the last week as I lost 12 pounds. Is this normal? Has anyone else lost weight on Metformin bc its the only thing that I can think of that new to my life to cause such a large amount. Off course I am not complaining but I was curious.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @thequietgoth , and welcome to the forum!

Are you testing your blood glucose at home?
I seemed to at my latest weigh in lost 12 pounds in a week?
While metformin does help some people with weight loss, losing 12 pounds a week is not a side effect of metformin.
This kind of weight loss can go hand in hand with very high blood glucose though, which is why I asked.
It's a reason to call your doctor for an appointment.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Welcome to the forum. :)

Metformin is more of a background helper, reducing insulin resistance (IR) and discouraging your liver from dumping glucose in your blood stream.

I would not expect to lose 12 pounds in a week if you haven't changed what you eat recently.

Rapid weight loss is usually a diagnostic sign for T1 and T2 when your BG is high but you can't use the glucose because of IR or lack of insulin so your body starts processing fat and muscle to produce ketones as an alternative.

I would check with your surgery immediately to make sure nothing is amiss.

Do you test your blood glucose?
If so, what readings are you getting?

thequietgoth

Hi,

Thank you for the replies. No I don't check my sugars at all. I eat very healthily & do a lot of exercise & the Dr thinks I got type 2 diabetes from either my medication for other things or I inherited it from my mother bc I eat so healthy. He saying its not from my diet & that fact since January I lost nearly 4 stone. But the Dr said my bloods for diabetes were high & he told me I have type 2 diabetes & put me on metformin 2x a day. I think the only symptom that is new recently is I am tired & sleeping a lot. I didn't realise rapid weight loss could be a sign of something maybe wrong. I speak to my doctor & see what they say.

thequietgoth

I have fruit, vegetables, potatoes, pasta, meat, rice. I have no dairy, no sugar, no chocolate, no junk food, no takeaways. Just literally everything that you're supposed to eat.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the only symptom that is new recently is I am tired & sleeping a lot. I didn't realise rapid weight loss could be a sign of something maybe wrong. I speak to my doctor & see what they say.
Please do so quickly.
Tired and sleeping are common effects of high blood glucose as well.
Should you at any point get nauseous or get a tummy ache, don't hesitate to call 999, as it can be a sign of a diabetic emergency.
Would it be possible for you to have your blood sugar tested tomorrow? I know some pharmacies do so when you ask, but I'm not sure if they still do with covid and all.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have fruit, vegetables, potatoes, pasta, meat, rice. I have no dairy, no sugar, no chocolate, no junk food, no takeaways. Just literally everything that you're supposed to eat.

I respectfully suggest that you take the time to read through this forum, especially the low carbohydrate section.

Potatoes, pasta, rice are all very high in carbohydrates which turn to sugar and raise your blood glucose levels.

Your "healthy food" may be fine for a non-diabetic but isn't always good once you have diabetes.

I do think you should see your doctor as soon as possible, due to the very rapid weight loss.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

thank you

You may find it useful to count the carbs in your current way of eating. The fruit, potatoes, pasta, rice.
I think you will be surprised at how many carbs you are eating.
It is the carbs (not just sugars) that will be sending your blood glucose so high.

Rapid, unexpected weight loss isa symptom of uncontrolled diabetes, and your carb intake will be driving your blood glucose higher.

I agree with @Antje77
Please contact your doctor and discuss your symptoms as soon as possible.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you might like to have a read of this basic piece on how diabetes works: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
With your food choices I would expect your blood glucose to be on the high side, as you are a diabetic.
However, the weight loss is reason to visit your doctor in any case.
Good luck, and keep us updated!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the Dr thinks I got type 2 diabetes from either my medication for other things or I inherited it from my mother bc I eat so healthy. He saying its not from my diet & that fact since January I lost nearly 4 stone. But the Dr said my bloods for diabetes were high & he told me I have type 2 diabetes
Which other medication are you on that could have caused diabetes?

This worries me somewhat. The dr doesn’t seem to realise a high carb diet could be making things worse (even it it’s traditionally “healthy”), and that dramatic weight loss can be a sign of type 1. Was the weight loss deliberate or did it just happen? But it’s true genetics plays a role in both types. You are also young for type 2. It does happen but isn’t that common.

How did he decide it was type 2 not type 1? Did he actually do any tests? The two to ask for considering weight loss and age would be c peptide to see if you are producing normal amounts of insulin (type 1 will be low and type 2 high, mid range is inconclusive) and antibodies (positive is definitely type 1, negative is inconclusive). Do you know how high your blood glucose or hba1c levels were?

I also agree you need to get back to your dr and ask specifically about the possibility type 1 and get levels of glucose and ketones checked ASAP given your symptoms. If you are later confirmed as type 2 then it will be about changing diet away from carb heavy foods like pasta potatoes and rice and some of the fruits for healthy proteins and fats instead. In fact easing off a bit now might relieve some of the sleepiness etc if levels are very high whilst waiting on those tests. But get the type sorted for sure.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Noting in passing that I lost half a stone in a week immediately prior to diagnosis.
My BG was frighteningly high.
Still T2 so far.

jbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am exactly like you . I never test my blood sugars. My BP fluctuates a lot. Lately with the stress of losing my husband 2 yrs ago and then shielding because of covid my BP has been high. Last night I collapsed so paramedics were called in I was taken to hospital. I'm home now. Doc said he couldn't risk me having infection if I was sent to a ward. So he said Home and plenty of rest and fluids. I was so dehydrated that they couldn't find a vein for bloods except on my forearm . Very painful . He said, after reading my notes. " Young lady you're a walking miracle and I wouldn't like to go against it so I'm sending you home for complete rest. " Young lady . Me at 71

Shelber

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started metformin on March 30, and have last about 10 pounds. I think mine weightloss also came from the shock of the diagnosis, which caused me to change a lot of bad habits and focusing more on exercising and actually thinking about what I eat. Metformin has caused me some stomach issues that I was warned about, that could be contributing to the weight loss as well.

But like others have said I would reach out to the doctor especially for tiredness and how rapid the weightloss to make sure it is not a rare side effect

Reactions: oldgreymare

pinkjude

I am exactly like you . I never test my blood sugars. My BP fluctuates a lot. Lately with the stress of losing my husband 2 yrs ago and then shielding because of covid my BP has been high. Last night I collapsed so paramedics were called in I was taken to hospital. I'm home now. Doc said he couldn't risk me having infection if I was sent to a ward. So he said Home and plenty of rest and fluids. I was so dehydrated that they couldn't find a vein for bloods except on my forearm . Very painful . He said, after reading my notes. " Young lady you're a walking miracle and I wouldn't like to go against it so I'm sending you home for complete rest. " Young lady . Me at 71
Hope you get better soon

Reactions: oldgreymare

pinkjude

Which other medication are you on that could have caused diabetes?

This worries me somewhat. The dr doesn’t seem to realise a high carb diet could be making things worse (even it it’s traditionally “healthy”), and that dramatic weight loss can be a sign of type 1. Was the weight loss deliberate or did it just happen? But it’s true genetics plays a role in both types. You are also young for type 2. It does happen but isn’t that common.

How did he decide it was type 2 not type 1? Did he actually do any tests? The two to ask for considering weight loss and age would be c peptide to see if you are producing normal amounts of insulin (type 1 will be low and type 2 high, mid range is inconclusive) and antibodies (positive is definitely type 1, negative is inconclusive). Do you know how high your blood glucose or hba1c levels were?

I also agree you need to get back to your dr and ask specifically about the possibility type 1 and get levels of glucose and ketones checked ASAP given your symptoms. If you are later confirmed as type 2 then it will be about changing diet away from carb heavy foods like pasta potatoes and rice and some of the fruits for healthy proteins and fats instead. In fact easing off a bit now might relieve some of the sleepiness etc if levels are very high whilst waiting on those tests. But get the type sorted for sure.
My diabetic nurse told me to have shredded wheat for breakfast and that potatoes were fine in moderation. She also said eat at least 3 portions of fruit. I honestly donn't think some are very well trained or still think low fat rather than low carb