I nee some advice and help

Sad21+

My mum was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last December. We have struggled and been overwhelmed. My mum had a stroke 9 years ago. I'm her carer. So her right side is paralysed so I have to use her left side to test her blood sugars. However mum has this condition where getting blood is extremely difficult. What's more she's getting brusing on her fingers. I'm tired of watching her in pain and seeing her on the verge of crying. on top of that we can barely get blood. i test her twice a day. But it's looking like I'm going to test her once now.

I'm so anxious and overwhelmed. We haven't seen a diabetic nurse
Her doctor isn't helpful he told me I don't need to test her everyday she can wait for her blood test from the doctors and it's not a big deal.

I just broke down. This is a big to us. We are till adjusting after the stroke and now this. I'm struggling we both are. Some advice would be really appreciative .

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A few thoughts.
What is she eating
What drugs if any is she taking for diabetes
Why can't you test using her right hand?
When and why are you testing?

I went on a low carb diet instead of extra meds, so at first I tested before then 2 hrs after every meal so I could see how many carbs I can eat and which foods spiked my blood sugar too much. Now I just test one day a week to make sure I am still stable.

Before doing a test when you help her wash her hand make sure it feels really warm, as a cold hand will make if harder to get the blood out, and massage the finger in increase blood flow too. Use a good lancing device, and change the lancet frequently so it doesn't get blunt.
I sometimes have to squeeze my finger gently around the hole if the drop of blood is too small for a test.

Reactions: Sad21+

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some meters come with a little adapter for alternative testing sites, if you haven't got one, check the appropriate website to see if it can be used elsewhere without one, or if one is availible

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mum was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last December. We have struggled and been overwhelmed. My mum had a stroke 9 years ago. I'm her carer. So her right side is paralysed so I have to use her left side to test her blood sugars. However mum has this condition where getting blood is extremely difficult. What's more she's getting brusing on her fingers. I'm tired of watching her in pain and seeing her on the verge of crying. on top of that we can barely get blood. i test her twice a day. But it's looking like I'm going to test her once now.

I'm so anxious and overwhelmed. We haven't seen a diabetic nurse
Her doctor isn't helpful he told me I don't need to test her everyday she can wait for her blood test from the doctors and it's not a big deal.

I just broke down. This is a big to us. We are till adjusting after the stroke and now this. I'm struggling we both are. Some advice would be really appreciative .

Hi there, now I know this might not be in a person's reach but is it possible to get her a libre? It will cost around 100 a month so it's not cheap but would really help with the finger prick issue? Is she on any diabetes medicine as a type 2? What is your current regime with your Mum, ie, her meals routine, your testing routine and what you are looking for and hoping to achieve? I only ask because you are clearly upset and it might help us to come up with another approach. (For context, I had a lifetime of caring for a Mum with diabetes and trying to get blood from her was like trying to get it out of a stone). x

Sad21+

A few thoughts.
What is she eating
What drugs if any is she taking for diabetes
Why can't you test using her right hand?
When and why are you testing?

I went on a low carb diet instead of extra meds, so at first I tested before then 2 hrs after every meal so I could see how many carbs I can eat and which foods spiked my blood sugar too much. Now I just test one day a week to make sure I am still stable.

Before doing a test when you help her wash her hand make sure it feels really warm, as a cold hand will make if harder to get the blood out, and massage the finger in increase blood flow too. Use a good lancing device, and change the lancet frequently so it doesn't get blunt.
I sometimes have to squeeze my finger gently around the hole if the drop of blood is too small for a test.
Thank you for replying and your advice. my mum is on a low carb diet I aim for under 70-80g of carbs per day. Sometimes less. I cook non stop to create low carb recipes.
She takes Glucophage Metformin and forxiga dapagliflozin twice a day.
I don't know if I can test her right side as she cannot move it. Thank you so much for the advice.i will try washing her hands and messaging. It's so difficult. Thank you for your kindness.

Sad21+

Some meters come with a little adapter for alternative testing sites, if you haven't got one, check the appropriate website to see if it can be used elsewhere without one, or if one is availible
Hello thank you for replying. Yes we got a little booklet for alternative testing sites but it warned us it might be inaccurate. So I am about hesitant .

Sad21+

Hi there, now I know this might not be in a person's reach but is it possible to get her a libre? It will cost around 100 a month so it's not cheap but would really help with the finger prick issue? Is she on any diabetes medicine as a type 2? What is your current regime with your Mum, ie, her meals routine, your testing routine and what you are looking for and hoping to achieve? I only ask because you are clearly upset and it might help us to come up with another approach. (For context, I had a lifetime of caring for a Mum with diabetes and trying to get blood from her was like trying to get it out of a stone). x
Hello thank you, my mum fasts. She eats after 12 . She's on a low carb diet. She takes two medications twice a day. Glucophage and forxiga dapagliflozin.

Yes I saw that online. I'm struggling with money but it's looking like I need to buy it.thank you.
Oh wow its easy to feel you are the only one going through this. I hope you and your mum are well ?Thank you for your kindness and help. It's comforting.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Making sure she is well hydrated also really helps as well as warm and massaged a bit before the jab. Brushing can be because the depth on the lancers too deep and that’s causing the bruising or the precise location of the jab. Don’t aim for the middle or top of the finger tip but more around the edges/sides

Does she need to move much to test on the right? I wouldn’t think so as you can lift her hand a little to position it then take the meter to her hand rather than the other way around. Finally what are you looking to learn from the tests? This dictates when and how often to test. And for it to be worthwhile it has to translate into some sort of action not just a list of numbers. Do you use it for motivation, to learn about food spikes, to see improvement/deterioration etc

pinkjude

Making sure she is well hydrated also really helps as well as warm and massaged a bit before the jab. Brushing can be because the depth on the lancers too deep and that’s causing the bruising or the precise location of the jab. Don’t aim for the middle or top of the finger tip but more around the edges/sides

Does she need to move much to test on the right? I wouldn’t think so as you can lift her hand a little to position it then take the meter to her hand rather than the other way around. Finally what are you looking to learn from the tests? This dictates when and how often to test. And for it to be worthwhile it has to translate into some sort of action not just a list of numbers. Do you use it for motivation, to learn about food spikes, to see improvement/deterioration etc
Hi Can I ask a question? I had BS of 8.8 before lunch but 5.5 2 hours later. I wonder if the high reading was due to my having had a slice of bread at breakfast something I don't normally do. It seems strange to drop so much

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry you're having such a hard time, and not getting the support you need. It can be really hard being a carer. Sending you hugs.
@Sad21+ Abbott were doing a free trial of their Libre system. If you google it, their website should say if it's still available.
Some lancing devices are better than others. I find Accu-check Fastclix fairly pain free. The only other thing I'd add is that when you use any lancet to get blood, wait a few seconds for the hole to 'open up' before you try to get the blood out. It makes all the difference.

Reactions: HSSS and Sad21+

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello thank you, my mum fasts. She eats after 12 . She's on a low carb diet. She takes two medications twice a day. Glucophage and forxiga dapagliflozin.

Yes I saw that online. I'm struggling with money but it's looking like I need to buy it.thank you.
Oh wow its easy to feel you are the only one going through this. I hope you and your mum are well ?Thank you for your kindness and help. It's comforting.
Because your mum has complications following a stroke and bruises easily I think your GP might well be willing to give her Libre on prescription. Definitely worth a try. Otherwise have a look at the Accucheck pen which is much more user friendly than simple lancets. You insert a tiny drum of 6 lancets which you don’t see, turn the comfort level to between 1 and 5 and each lancet can be reused many times. You just click the pen to the new one when required. So much easier.

Sad21+

Again thank you for commenting. Thank you for the hydration tip. I have issues getting her to drink enough. Thank you for the advice as well.
My aim is to see what spikes her blood sugars, to make sure her blood sugar is stable. I just want her to get better.

Sad21+

That's the thing I don't even know if is a good idea to test her right arm. I have no idea.

Sad21+

Because your mum has complications following a stroke and bruises easily I think your GP might well be willing to give her Libre on prescription. Definitely worth a try. Otherwise have a look at the Accucheck pen which is much more user friendly than simple lancets. You insert a tiny drum of 6 lancets which you don’t see, turn the comfort level to between 1 and 5 and each lancet can be reused many times. You just click the pen to the new one when required. So much easier.
Hello thank you so much for your advice and kindness. I'm going to look at accucheck pen. I'm so grateful for your advice. Yes I will ask the doctors. But I feel they will say no. But imma ask anyway. Thank you.

Sad21+

Sorry you're having such a hard time, and not getting the support you need. It can be really hard being a carer. Sending you hugs.
@Sad21+ Abbott were doing a free trial of their Libre system. If you google it, their website should say if it's still available.
Some lancing devices are better than others. I find Accu-check Fastclix fairly pain free. The only other thing I'd add is that when you use any lancet to get blood, wait a few seconds for the hole to 'open up' before you try to get the blood out. It makes all the difference.
Thank you for your advice. I tried the free trial but I was unsuccessful. I'm going to look at accucheck pen someone else also suggested it. Also the tip of waiting for the blood to come I appreciate that. Thank you