Breakfast break

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, I work 12 and 1/2 hour shifts in a hospital. I used to eat breakfast (cereals) before work but often found I used to feel sick before work. I have an hours break for the day but I split it into 3, 15 mins morning break, 1/2 an hour lunch then a 15 min tea break late afternoon. I start at 07.00 and my first break is at 09.30 and I have 3 bananas, 2 yoghurts and a cup of tea for my breakfast. This takes me sometimes a little longer because if I eat too quick I feel sick and get indigestion. I have been ‘told off’ for taking too long on my break and apparently people have complained. I just really wondered if I’m entitled to have a little extra time?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I have been ‘told off’ for taking too long on my break and apparently people have complained. I just really wondered if I’m entitled to have a little extra time?

Why should you if others observe the rules?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I realise you take insulin but you do realise foods like the above are rocket fuel for diabetics.
Have you ever considered low carb
I don’t know what else I can take to eat for my breakfast.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 yoghurts and 3 medium bananas is about 700 Cals and 100g of carbs which seems a lot even for a non-diabetic. I don't know how much you eat the rest of the day but I would have thought a good start would be to cut down to 1 banana and one yogurt for breakfast which would also be quicker to eat.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I would never eat 3 bananas even when I wasn’t insulin resistant. How about a full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries and some chia seeds? Or an omelette with no added sugars almond milk, cheese and bacon? Would be more blood sugar friendly perhaps.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
2 yoghurts and 3 medium bananas is about 700 Cals and 100g of carbs which seems a lot even for a non-diabetic. I don't know how much you eat the rest of the day but I would have thought a good start would be to cut down to 1 banana and one yogurt for breakfast which would also be quicker to eat.
For the rest of the day, I have a sandwich, crisps and chocolate bars. Just 1 banana and 1 yoghurt I would still be hungry.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I would never eat 3 bananas even when I wasn’t insulin resistant. How about a full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries and some chia seeds? Or an omelette with no added sugars almond milk, cheese and bacon? Would be more blood sugar friendly perhaps.
I don’t like plain yoghurt and I don’t know what chia seeds are. I have no facilities to cook an omelette at work. Sorry

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t like plain yoghurt and I don’t know what chia seeds are. I have no facilities to cook an omelette at work. Sorry

you could cook it in the am or the night before and bring it in, in a wee freezer bag. I find with Greek yoghurt you can get used to it. I didn’t like it at the start to be honest. If you Google chia seeds, you can get them in the likes of Tesco, home bargains etc.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

Jo123

I have 250 gms unsweetened soya yoghurt plus 25 gms almonds for breakfast, takes me about 5 minutes to eat, doesn't increase my bg too much. Are you underweight? If so I'd eat more nuts.
Sorry I've just read you don't like pain yoghurt, in which case just add a tiny bit of artificial sweetener. Try to reduce it to get rid of your sweet tooth, it's not good for a diabetic!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you swap your breaks around and have the half hour break at breakfast time?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t know what else I can take to eat for my breakfast.

Hi,

Do you have a microwave facility in the staff room? Maybe a soup?
If you are struggling to eat food fast.
Also, if you know tha carb content, yer ready with knowing what to inject for..

In an older post you mention taking Lantus. Ar you also prescribed a shorter acting insulin?

Reactions: oldgreymare

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since you don’t low carb, then maybe porridge? You can make this just before bed really easily - just bring milk to the boil (microwave or pan, your choice), add the oats and put it straight in a thermos overnight. By next morning it will be completely cooked and just the right temperature for eating. Slice your banana on top.

I can’t see why you would be entitled to any longer breaks than any other person - it not like you eat anything different to a non-diabetic person.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For the rest of the day, I have a sandwich, crisps and chocolate bars. Just 1 banana and 1 yoghurt I would still be hungry.
That type of food has little nutritional value - all starch and sugar, so you are setting yourself up to be hungry after a little while. I eat a meal with few carbs but protein and fats and then eat 12 hours later with no need for snacks or another meal.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Since you don’t low carb, then maybe porridge? You can make this just before bed really easily - just bring milk to the boil (microwave or pan, your choice), add the oats and put it straight in a thermos overnight. By next morning it will be completely cooked and just the right temperature for eating. Slice your banana on top.

I can’t see why you would be entitled to any longer breaks than any other person - it not like you eat anything different to a non-diabetic person.
I know I wouldn’t be entitled to longer breaks. They are normally 2 1/2 hour breaks during the day but that doesn’t suit me so I take them as I stated. I just thought your workplace had to make reasonable adjustment to yr needs as I’m diabetic. I just want to finish my breakfast without racing to eat it. In my 1/2 hour lunch break I struggle to finish my lunch in time. Porridge was suggested to me and I had been taking that for a long time as my lunch but I got fed up with that and can’t eat that now!