Cannot stop eating sugary food

Liz01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I wondered if I could get some support, is hard for me to reach out.
I was diagnosed with type two diabetes back in 2018, and found myself shocked and went all out researching the condition, buying the blood testing kit, and changing my diet, I was not put on medication as was relatively low at this point, and told i didn't need to test my blood, but i felt better keeping an eye on my sugar levels for my own peace of mind, i managed to reverse my diabetes and was taken off the register.
I managed to lose two stone just by changing my eating and drinking more water, however I am studying and living away from home and have found myself pile back on the weight and eat sugary foods, like ice cream, chocolate etc, I am an emotional eater, and wish I knew how I managed to stop last time. I am sure it was through fear.
I have become complacent and rarely check my blood sugar levels and haven't been to the hospital for a blood test in a couple of years.
I should be more responsible and it kills me that I am not, how do I get the mind set back and do the right thing, I had before and cut all the sugary food out?
Has anyone else avoided getting their blood tested and not watch what they eat? I am scared in case they put me on medication and it has got worse.

Thank you for reading.

Liz

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Liz01 . I see you have a ‘newbie’ status, though have been a member for a while, so welcome, and well done for reaching out. That is a good start.
On diagnosis 3 years ago, you did your research, and got a blood test kit, and lost weight. First thing I would suggest is that you start using kit again, so you can see what happens when you eat the sugary foods. Knowing what your blood glucose levels are can be a great incentive.You did so well before, and you can again.

Study and being away from home is stressful enough, without the current added stress of a global pandemic, and the restrictions we have all been enduring. So, second thing I would suggest is to seek out support, educational establishments have student groups and systems for that very purpose. Will probably be online, but you won’t be the first, or the last student needing some help.

Sugary, and high carb foods tend to be addictive, so the more we eat, the more we need. To break the cycle can you come up with achievable goals, and reward yourself with something other than food when you reach those goals? Perhaps remind yourself that you achieved great success previously, and repeat the steps you took then, but this time, have a follow on plan to remain on track.

Wish you well

Reactions: lucylocket61

Liz01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Liz01 . I see you have a ‘newbie’ status, though have been a member for a while, so welcome, and well done for reaching out. That is a good start.
On diagnosis 3 years ago, you did your research, and got a blood test kit, and lost weight. First thing I would suggest is that you start using kit again, so you can see what happens when you eat the sugary foods. Knowing what your blood glucose levels are can be a great incentive.You did so well before, and you can again.

Study and being away from home is stressful enough, without the current added stress of a global pandemic, and the restrictions we have all been enduring. So, second thing I would suggest is to seek out support, educational establishments have student groups and systems for that very purpose. Will probably be online, but you won’t be the first, or the last student needing some help.

Sugary, and high carb foods tend to be addictive, so the more we eat, the more we need. To break the cycle can you come up with achievable goals, and reward yourself with something other than food when you reach those goals? Perhaps remind yourself that you achieved great success previously, and repeat the steps you took then, but this time, have a follow on plan to remain on track.

Wish you well
Thank you for your reply. I have just booked a blood test for the 8th May and am going to try and cut the sugar and carbs out, I will take a test tonight and again in the morning and increase my exercise. Do you know if I need to fast before having my blood test?

Reactions: Pipp

Liz01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I really should be using this resource more, but have pushed it to the back of my mind, hoping I guess it would stay away, when deep down I know I have fallen on the rails and started eating the wrong food.
They say if you want something it is not easy and this is very true, you have to work at it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really should be using this resource more, but have pushed it to the back of my mind, hoping I guess it would stay away, when deep down I know I have fallen on the rails and started eating the wrong food.
They say if you want something it is not easy and this is very true, you have to work at it.
Well done, give yourself some credit (lots of credit) for recognising your situation and being prepared to address it. We are here for you.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply. I have just booked a blood test for the 8th May and am going to try and cut the sugar and carbs out, I will take a test tonight and again in the morning and increase my exercise. Do you know if I need to fast before having my blood test?
Well, it seems you are now ready to take back some control. Good for you!
As for self testing, most find it useful to test first thing in the morning, as soon as you wake up. Then just before eating, and 2 hours after. If you keep records of blood glucose levels, and a food diary, you will soon be able to discern a pattern of how various foods affect your levels.
As for the blood test you have booked, if it is for HbA1c you shouldn’t need to fast. It may be worth checking with nurse or GP in case they are asking for other tests too.
Be aware that there is lots of good advice, and encouragement in the forums. You just have to ask, and there will generally be a helpful response from members who have experienced similar situations to yours.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done ! You have taken the first step by booking a blood test and recognising that you you need to change what you eat I have a good friend with severe phobia problems who says " Can't means don't want to " So if we turn this around if you want to then you can ! :)
Keep it up
Carol