Breakfast break

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
That type of food has little nutritional value - all starch and sugar, so you are setting yourself up to be hungry after a little while. I eat a meal with few carbs but protein and fats and then eat 12 hours later with no need for snacks or another meal.
The food I have is fine, I’m not hungry between breakfast and my lunchtime which is 13.30 and I don’t eat anything after that until the next morning. I don’t snack.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi,

Do you have a microwave facility in the staff room? Maybe a soup?
If you are struggling to eat food fast.
Also, if you know tha carb content, yer ready with knowing what to inject for..

In an older post you mention taking Lantus. Ar you also prescribed a shorter acting insulin?
Unfortunately we’re not allowed a microwave on the ward where I work. I’m on lantus morning and evening, I don’t take short acting insulin.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The food I have is fine, I’m not hungry between breakfast and my lunchtime which is 13.30 and I don’t eat anything after that until the next morning. I don’t snack.
It is just seeing that you eat what would be 3 days of carbs for me in one meal which rather shocks me, but I don't need medication.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I wouldn’t be entitled to longer breaks. They are normally 2 1/2 hour breaks during the day but that doesn’t suit me so I take them as I stated. I just thought your workplace had to make reasonable adjustment to yr needs as I’m diabetic. I just want to finish my breakfast without racing to eat it. In my 1/2 hour lunch break I struggle to finish my lunch in time. Porridge was suggested to me and I had been taking that for a long time as my lunch but I got fed up with that and can’t eat that now!

Hi Sarah,

It does sound to me like your employer has made compromises on the break structuring in accordance with "reasonable adjustments in the workplace."

Unfortunately we’re not allowed a microwave on the ward where I work. I’m on lantus morning and evening, I don’t take short acting insulin.

I do Lantus as my basal insulin.

I have to admit. Doing a quick (rough) carb count regarding just the yoghurts you have?
You mentioned earlier in another topic you like "Sainsbury’s Taste the difference Madagascan vanilla thick yoghurt."
At two pots looking at the nutritional value, comes in at just under 36grams of carb. (Most of which look like sugars.)

With my basal correct. I would need to bolus for the above.

Lantus is not designed to handle this by itself.. Lantus is technically a "liver dump fixer."

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi Sarah,

It does sound to me like your employer has made compromises on the break structuring in accordance with "reasonable adjustments in the workplace."

As regards the break it’s not standard the whole hospital has these breaks it’s individual to the ward. It was always 3 breaks when I started then my ward merged with another ward who had 2 breaks during the day and then the break system was voted on and at that time they voted for 2 so they are not put out by my having 3 breaks. Other wards have 3 breaks and also twice a day they have an extra tiny break for just a cup of tea, ours used to do this but it was stopped because some would have over 20mins just for a quick drink so I don’t think I’m asking for too much.

I do Lantus as my basal insulin.

I have to admit. Doing a quick (rough) carb count regarding just the yoghurts you have?
You mentioned earlier in another topic you like "Sainsbury’s Taste the difference Madagascan vanilla thick yoghurt."
At two pots looking at the nutritional value, comes in at just under 36grams of carb. (Most of which look like sugars.)

With my basal correct. I would need to bolus for the above.

Lantus is not designed to handle this by itself.. Lantus is technically a "liver dump fixer."

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I wouldn’t be entitled to longer breaks. They are normally 2 1/2 hour breaks during the day but that doesn’t suit me so I take them as I stated. I just thought your workplace had to make reasonable adjustment to yr needs as I’m diabetic. I just want to finish my breakfast without racing to eat it. In my 1/2 hour lunch break I struggle to finish my lunch in time. Porridge was suggested to me and I had been taking that for a long time as my lunch but I got fed up with that and can’t eat that now!

Hi there. Firstly, do your Employers have you recorded as having a 'disability' under the Act?, I know type 1s come under it automatically but you too are an insulin user (albeit Lantus only but this still could cause you to go low during the day of course). If you do come under the Act then you are right, they do need to make 'reasonable adjustments' but the question of what is reasonable is subjective to a large extent. You are asking for a longer time to eat your food because of your digestive problems, is this ANYTHING to do with your diabetes? If it is, and if your GP can provide the information to support this, then it is possible that your Employers would at least have to discuss the matter with you. This may consist of adjusting your 9.30 break to a 30 minute one and your lunchbreak to a 15minute one for example. IF you require extra time directly relating to your diabetes, for example you feel like you are going low outside of those breaks and need to do a finger prick test, then yes, they would most likely have to allow you to randomly check during those times.

The problem is that ALL of us would be deemed as taking the you know what if we sat there slowly eating 3 bananas and 2 yogurts whilst our colleagues were getting back to work, any extra time we take usually means less time or extra work for others. Please don't get me wrong, of course we may need extra time to take our insulin before our food (although you don't take bolus) and subsequently extra time to check our glucose levels after but to be honest, this for me means a few extra minutes.

Either way, maybe you could arrange a proper meeting with HR and get it all written down, that way it doesn't become a battle every time you have your break. I think most of us have found that there really is a balance between what we may feel we are entitled to and the reality of what we're likely to get. I would say it really is give & take at work and you wanting to 'take your time' to eat would really annoy me as a Manager too, UNLESS there is a medical reason associated with your diabetes in which case get it all recorded.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi there. Firstly, do your Employers have you recorded as having a 'disability' under the Act?, I know type 1s come under it automatically but you too are an insulin user (albeit Lantus only but this still could cause you to go low during the day of course). If you do come under the Act then you are right, they do need to make 'reasonable adjustments' but the question of what is reasonable is subjective to a large extent. You are asking for a longer time to eat your food because of your digestive problems, is this ANYTHING to do with your diabetes? If it is, and if your GP can provide the information to support this, then it is possible that your Employers would at least have to discuss the matter with you. This may consist of adjusting your 9.30 break to a 30 minute one and your lunchbreak to a 15minute one for example. IF you require extra time directly relating to your diabetes, for example you feel like you are going low outside of those breaks and need to do a finger prick test, then yes, they would most likely have to allow you to randomly check during those times.

The problem is that ALL of us would be deemed as taking the you know what if we sat there slowly eating 3 bananas and 2 yogurts whilst our colleagues were getting back to work, any extra time we take usually means less time or extra work for others. Please don't get me wrong, of course we may need extra time to take our insulin before our food (although you don't take bolus) and subsequently extra time to check our glucose levels after but to be honest, this for me means a few extra minutes.

Either way, maybe you could arrange a proper meeting with HR and get it all written down, that way it doesn't become a battle every time you have your break. I think most of us have found that there really is a balance between what we may feel we are entitled to and the reality of what we're likely to get. I would say it really is give & take at work and you wanting to 'take your time' to eat would really annoy me as a Manager too, UNLESS there is a medical reason associated with your diabetes in which case get it all recorded.

They know I’m diabetic but I don’t know if they have it written down anywhere. I’m only like asking for a minimum of 5 mins, I don’t take my time eating, I just eat normally and it takes me over 15min. If I swapped my breaks around to 1/2 an hour 1st break, I’d only have 15mins for my lunch then I wouldn’t be able to finish my lunch as I wouldn’t have enough time! Although I have 1/2 an hour now I’m literally eating for that whole time. I don’t talk to anyone as I’m the only one having these breaks. I just find it a nightmare sometimes, when I do eat quick I get hiccups, indigestion and I end up feeling sick.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They know I’m diabetic but I don’t know if they have it written down anywhere. I’m only like asking for a minimum of 5 mins, I don’t take my time eating, I just eat normally and it takes me over 15min. If I swapped my breaks around to 1/2 an hour 1st break, I’d only have 15mins for my lunch then I wouldn’t be able to finish my lunch as I wouldn’t have enough time! Although I have 1/2 an hour now I’m literally eating for that whole time. I don’t talk to anyone as I’m the only one having these breaks. I just find it a nightmare sometimes, when I do eat quick I get hiccups, indigestion and I end up feeling sick.

Hi,

In suppose you could try negotiating adding five minutes extra to your morning break deducted from the afternoon tea break. Making it a 20/30/10 spilt?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, well you should check with them regarding whether they have you down as being 'disabled' for all sorts of reasons. Could you eat one less banana, would that help? I really think you are on a hiding to nothing by trying to explain that you require an extra five minutes to be honest. You say you eat 'normally' but if that was the case, others would also be complaining about the breaks being too short. Personally I would not be making an issue of this, even as a diabetic because it does seem to be trivial in the grand scheme of things and there are things you could adjust yourself to combat it.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Are you a union member? Your representative should be able to help with any representation to HR.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I expect most people faced with this problem would eat less or eat faster, maybe use a bigger spoon for the yoghurt. I expect a break at 9:30 is designed for tea and biscuits rather than breakfast. Why not have a snack before you leave home, say a cereal bar, and cut down on what you eat at 9:30? Diabetics might be entitled to extra time for testing or injecting but not to slowly eat a particularly large breakfast.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, well you should check with them regarding whether they have you down as being 'disabled' for all sorts of reasons. Could you eat one less banana, would that help? I really think you are on a hiding to nothing by trying to explain that you require an extra five minutes to be honest. You say you eat 'normally' but if that was the case, others would also be complaining about the breaks being too short. Personally I would not be making an issue of this, even as a diabetic because it does seem to be trivial in the grand scheme of things and there are things you could adjust yourself to combat it.

Hi,

I've worked a lot of places with different break structures. (Over the years.)
In the engineering company I was at. They alow a couple of minutes prior "wash up time." To be fair. A little short to pre bolus. But it is OK to jab 20 minutes prior to everyone Downing tools for the break. It a good idea to check BGs anyway when handling something like a grinder.
I'm currently working with two other guys for a landscaping company. Technically, we don't stop? (Legally we are entitled to.)
But there is wiggle room, so we kinda do have breaks..Now the gaffer has a step son who is T1. Lol, to be fair if he thinks I haven't eaten he ask if I want to grab something. "Nah, I'm OK for the minute. Let's get these sleepers in.." (Complete the project, clear up. then stop.)
Customers are quite often throwing beverages & food at us too.

It's all about fitting it in with contractual obligations & team playing with others doing the same.
Plan ahead. I've noticed over the years, we all tend to get peckish about the same time on a day's graft. :)

Reactions: KK123

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I expect most people faced with this problem would eat less or eat faster, maybe use a bigger spoon for the yoghurt. I expect a break at 9:30 is designed for tea and biscuits rather than breakfast. Why not have a snack before you leave home, say a cereal bar, and cut down on what you eat at 9:30? Diabetics might be entitled to extra time for testing or injecting but not to slowly eat a particularly large breakfast.

My break is for my breakfast and they know that, other people whose breaks start at 10.00 have they’re breakfast then.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I haven’t asked for any extra time I just wondered if this would be possible. Others won’t complain about eating slowly as they have 1/2 an hour for theirs

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don’t eat slowly I eat normally and I don’t think I eat a ‘large’ breakfast!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven’t asked for any extra time I just wondered if this would be possible. Others won’t complain about eating slowly as they have 1/2 an hour for theirs

Hi,

Do your colleagues structure two 0.5hour breaks during a 12.5 hour shift?

If so, would that work for you?

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You do well to work long days in the hospital. I only work short shifts in the day time. Wouldn't be able to cope with a long day in a fast paced environment. I have the usual 30 min break on the 8 hr shift. Always guaranteed 1st break being diabetic. It's usual for me to disappear and sit down for 10 mins to eat if my sugars are drop too low.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi,

Do your colleagues structure two 0.5hour breaks during a 12.5 hour shift?

If so, would that work for you?

Yes they have 2 x 30mins break, I’ve tried that and it didn’t suit me so I’ve stuck to what I have.