Diabetes could be treated weekly

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes could be treated weekly instead of daily

International clinical trials found a new once-a-week treatment for Type 2 diabetes to be an effective and convenient alternative.

Dave Yasvinski2 days ago

images

New trials suggest people with Type 2 diabetes may one day only need weekly insulin therapy. GETTY

People with Type 2 diabetes got a shot of good news on Monday from researchers who may have found a way to make insulin therapy a weekly event instead of a daily grind.

A pair of international clinical trials, detailed in Diabetes Care, found the new once-a-week treatment to be an effective and convenient alternative for millions of people around the world. “Insulin treatment is burdensome, requires frequent injections and continues to carry a certain stigma,” said Ildiko Lingvay, the lead author of one of the studies and a professor of internal medicine and population and data sciences at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. “The development of an effective and safe insulin that can be administered once a week is a huge advance in the field.”

Roughly 2.3 million Canadians reported a diabetes diagnosis as of 2017, according to Statistics Canada, with Type 2 diabetes accounting for 90 to 95 per cent of cases. The metabolic disease occurs when the body does not produce enough insulin or is unable to properly process the insulin it does produce. In addition to increasing the risk of things such as heart disease, stroke and kidney disease, diabetes can also reduce quality of life through the burden of the daily management of symptoms.

There are three main forms of diabetes: Type 1, Type 2 and gestational. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease that usually develops in childhood in which the body attacks the pancreas, preventing it from producing its own insulin. Type 2 — which accounts for the vast majority of cases — occurs when people’s bodies either do not produce enough insulin or are unable to use it properly. This form of the disease usually manifests in adulthood, and while it can sometimes be managed through diet and exercise, insulin therapy is often required. Gestational diabetes is a temporary version of the disease that affects between three and 20 per cent of women during pregnancy.

Health providers have long sought to reduce the frequency of insulin treatments for patients because the fear of daily injections and the difficulty of properly dosing have only increased patient reluctance to seek help.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If only there was a diet that could make managing type 2 for a lot of people easier.... oh I forgot, pharmaceutical companies don't make money that way.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not effective or convenient for me as long as I can control it by diet alone. for those that need insulin- well I guess time will tell. I'd be interested in how it would impact on insulin resistance.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Meaning that the study has nothing to do with T2 not on insulin. Isn't it?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry - insulin therapy comes under the heading of other people's problems - why would a type 2 who was still more likely to be producing more insulin rather than less want it?
Can you explain the reasoning?

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Logically reading this article, the insulin in the article sounds like some form of 7 day working profile basal.
So, on that reasoning (if it works?) I can't see any radical lift on diatary restrictions with carb intake regarding the use of any other currently on the market basal, other than lowering the amount of jabs by 6 a week..

Reactions: Krystyna23040