Tattoo impact on blood levels

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I got a new tattoo yesterday and today am noticing somewhat elevated bloods, not excessively so, in the order of 6 to 7 where I’d normally expect 5 to 6.

now I know about high blood levels and the risk of wound healing, so was very careful and my bloods are reading okay over the last months before I did this...

but thought... tattoo is in effect a wound, I know having a illness increases blood levels, do wounds too?

overthinking probably! But honestly curious is it one way or do both affect the other?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With a tattoo (or any wound) our body will need energy to heal.
As with everything else, this means our liver will release glucose to proide that energy and our blood sugars will raise.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
With a tattoo (or any wound) our body will need energy to heal.
As with everything else, this means our liver will release glucose to proide that energy and our blood sugars will raise.
Thanks, that’s what I thought but couldn’t find anything in my searches apart from effect the other way round

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Inflammation has a tendency to raise bgs too, and raises insulin resistance...
It is probably a combination of things.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Inflammation has a tendency to raise bgs too, and raises insulin resistance...
It is probably a combination of things.
Thanks, always learning about these things

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve got 10 and a half tattoos my bloods did elevate slightly like yours but nothing to be concerned about. 6 and 7 is definitely acceptable if my humble opinion .

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive had 3 tattoos & getting my leg sleeve finished next month. Every time ive had a tattoo ive had to eat & drink because my bg drops quite fast.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve got 10 and a half tattoos my bloods did elevate slightly like yours but nothing to be concerned about. 6 and 7 is definitely acceptable if my humble opinion .
Thanks for this, how do you have half a tattoo? :blackeye:
I’m at 10 tattoos, although 3 are covers so technically more. Didn’t test my bloods at the time so was curious, and yes I know those levels are okay, I was just curious as to see if any elevation was expected

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Thanks for this, how do you have half a tattoo? :blackeye:
I’m at 10 tattoos, although 3 are covers so technically more. Didn’t test my bloods at the time so was curious, and yes I know those levels are okay, I was just curious as to see if any elevation was expected
I use to have a full leg tattoo but unfortunately I had a below knee amputation , hence the half lol! I made up for it with a Welsh dragon laminated into my prosthetic not a bad swap I thought hehehe

Reactions: Andydragon

Hotpepper20000

I have a few works of art on my body.
I find the length of time it takes to get it done also makes a difference.
The longest I’ve sat is four hours and my blood sugar was definitely higher the normal after.
I don’t think it took longer to heal though.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a few works of art on my body.
I find the length of time it takes to get it done also makes a difference.
The longest I’ve sat is four hours and my blood sugar was definitely higher the normal after.
I don’t think it took longer to heal though.
It was a 4 hour sitting
I’ll keep an eye, probably back to normal tomorrow

thank you