HbA1c estimate from LibreLink

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Since Xmas I've been reasonably good (mainly) and I've also been more or less continuously (up to 24 hours between sensors) wearing a Libre 1 and now a Libre 2.

The estimated HbA1c from LibreLink drifted from 5.9% up to 6.0% whilst I convince myself yet again that I shouldn't really drink beer, but it is now down to 5.9% again.

I am somewhat suspicious of this number, as my last HbA1c (after a period of refined debauchery) 6 months ago was 7.3%.
If I do get a result of 5.9% from my blood test next week I'll be wondering if Moses wandered over this way after parting the Red Sea and thought it a suitable encore.

Whatever, the estimate seems low although I would be very happy to get it confirmed.

Anyone else getting a blood test which matches their LibreLink result?
If not, by how much was it out?

I'll try and remember to update here in a couple of weeks when I have my test results back.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else getting a blood test which matches their LibreLink result?
If not, by how much was it out?
My Libre estimated hba1c's have consistently been lower than lab hba1c's by 8 mmol/mol (0,7% I think) for three years.
However, this perfectly fits the difference I get between finger pricks and Libre scans, Libre tends to read low for me.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My Libre estimated hba1c's have consistently been lower than lab hba1c's by 8 mmol/mol (0,7% I think) for three years.
However, this perfectly fits the difference I get between finger pricks and Libre scans, Libre tends to read low for me.

My Libre 1 tended to be a bit variable, but so far the Libre 2 have been much closer.
I think that I would take a 6.6% as a win, though.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my hba1c checked about 4 weeks ago and it was 8.4%, my libre said 8.4%. Been improving things since then it now says 8.3%.
Can't wait for it to reduce further!

Reactions: Antje77

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
At the risk of being flamed, why bother to show any interest in HbA1C? It's a weighted average calculation. Where as Time in Target is "real fact" (ignoring sensor inaccuracies). My consultant just looks at TiT, and looks at blood for other markers only.

YMMV

Reactions: oldgreymare

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My time in target can vary depending on if the libra is reading higher or lower than finger pricks. Whereas my hba1c has always been spot on.

Just started a libra 2 but doesn’t seem to be vastly more accurate at the moment.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
why bother to show any interest in HbA1C? It's a weighted average calculation. Where as Time in Target is "real fact" (ignoring sensor inaccuracies). My consultant just looks at TiT
For one, I need the hba1c to prove to my consultant my Libre is reading lower, so most of those 'hypos' messing up my time in range on the Libre weren't hypos at all. If she'd go with TIR only she'd be very worried, and I'd have to try to show her how my fingerpricks compare to the Libre readings. Showing her my Libre thinks my hba1c is 8 mmol/mol lower than a lab test is much easier.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well with respect there is no correlation between TIR and HbA1C as far as high/lows are concerned. My consultant explained that massive swings average out and can show a good value when you've still done damage with both highs and lows. To strengthen your argument with your consultant you should take timely pricks while sensor is showing different surely?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well with respect there is no correlation between TIR and HbA1C as far as high/lows are concerned.
My Libre thinks I'm hypo 8% of the time. Double-checking with fingerpricks tells me it's likely closer to 1 or 2% or such.
The difference between lab haba1c and estimated hba1c is a quick and clear way of showing my Libres read lower than blood for me, and thus excessive hypos are not a point of concern.

Of course I can also show her my notes when I compared blood and sensor, but this would mean logging in and digging back in Libreview for a rather large part of my 10 minute appointment, which seems a waste of time when the difference in hba1c clearly proves my point.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't want to labour this point, but I just don't see how an HbA1c can tell you how many lows you've had or the severity. But if they are happy with it then so be it. My consultant looks straight at TIR and comments on that.

Reactions: miahara

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't want to labour this point, but I just don't see how an HbA1c can tell you how many lows you've had or the severity. But if they are happy with it then so be it. My consultant looks straight at TIR and comments on that.
The TIR tells her how much of the time I was low. The difference between both hba1c's tells her the time out of range on the low side was likely less than the TIR reports.
If she went with TIR only, like yours, I would get a serious talk about all those lows that weren't below 4 in reality.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Noting that I am T2 with a self funded Libre so this does not really apply, I don't have a consultant, and the vast majority of T2s don't have a Libre anyway so HbA1c is the measure used.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Noting that I am T2 with a self funded Libre so this does not really apply, I don't have a consultant, and the vast majority of T2s don't have a Libre anyway so HbA1c is the measure used.
My apologies for somewhat derailing your thread with my repeated reactions.
I hope the result from your blood test next week will be a pleasant surprise!

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Ah, that is a whole different ball game. I sympathize with you having to self fund. I did even being T1 back on the early days before NHS approval.