Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hello folks,

I have fatigue and insomnia for the past year. I have read many posts here that relate fatigue
with high blood sugar (i.e. 11-18 sometimes). I wonder if you have experienced an increase
in fatigue with meter numbers as those. There are other incidents with my meds and thyroid
relationship which may contribute to fatigue, but I would like to eliminate the hyperglycemia first.
Thank you for reading, and stay safe. This is not the best time to cope with additional health issues.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have ME/CFS and I definitely notice a link between my blood sugar levels and my energy levels. They also affect my sleep. If I can keep my levels in the normal range I function much better.

Reactions: VashtiB

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I felt very fatigued when my blood sugars were in the teens.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Erin

Sounds like a bit of a vicious circle there. Hope you get to the bottom of it. There is currently a free online conference running on fatigue, which may have some useful content. The videos for each day are only available on that day (unless you pay). Might be some useful information: https://www.fatiguesuperconference.com/

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got my blood work done and my Vitamin D was low so im not sure if that could be something you could look into. As far as insomnia; i took magnesium for a while and it seemed to have helped and now i fall asleep without it; i did 6 session of CBT which also helped; ask your GP. Good luck.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that a good point @UsmanMo96 Now I am on vitamin D (prescribed by my GP) my energy levels have improved. I had to ask for the blood test to check my levels.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that a good point @UsmanMo96 Now I am on vitamin D (prescribed by my GP) my energy levels have improved. I had to ask for the blood test to check my levels.

Thats correct i had to ask myself and i even got my b12 checked too. Now i check it every 6 months. My GP allows it but i know some GP aren't nice and ask why this why that

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to say no. I never had any issues with fatigue specifically when my blood sugar was elevated, but I did have some sleep issues when my BG was high. So I can see how that could result in fatigue.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Erin

Sounds like a bit of a vicious circle there. Hope you get to the bottom of it. There is currently a free online conference running on fatigue, which may have some useful content. The videos for each day are only available on that day (unless you pay). Might be some useful information: https://www.fatiguesuperconference.com/
Thank you so much Goonergal. Will check that out; problem with symptoms-- reminds me of legal cases now watching verdict on CNN.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I can always tell when my blood sugars are above 12, because fatigue takes over my whole being. It feels as if everything is an effort, and even complete rest can't shake it off.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to get v sleepy when my blood glucose rises and/or falls rapidly (to the point of having nearly fallen asleep when motorway driving, in the past). But I think that is different from grinding long term fatigue.

Having experienced fatigue too, and insomnia, I have found a combo that seems to work for me. Vit D supplementation, magnesium supplementation, as much physical exertion as my joints will allow, fresh air every day, and recently cbd.
Am sleeping better than I have for years. Which is wonderful.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I tend to get v sleepy when my blood glucose rises and/or falls rapidly (to the point of having nearly fallen asleep when motorway driving, in the past). But I think that is different from grinding long term fatigue.

Having experienced fatigue too, and insomnia, I have found a combo that seems to work for me. Vit D supplementation, magnesium supplementation, as much physical exertion as my joints will allow, fresh air every day, and recently cbd.
Am sleeping better than I have for years. Which is wonderful.

Thank you for the practical advice Brunneria; I did have some trouble with magnesium-- poor digestion; but paradoxically a high (high*ish* blood sugar) makes me sleepy which rests me a bit. I take multivitamins but I will try your Vitamin D suggestion. There are always complicated interactions in something as vague as FATIGUE and I am considering the dose of other meds I take and their interaction or even suppression of thyroxine. Stay safe and keep studying. The internet is our university.

Hotpepper20000

@Erin If you have trouble with absorbing magnesium with tablets, try topical spray. I apply it every day after a shower and it seems to help.

Last edited:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don’t feel any different if my blood sugar is high.

aard

I can tell when my blood sugars are high. I have to lay down and I feel really mentally tired. Physically not tired. But Mentally I feel like falling asleep although I never do. Too tired to even watch tv. When I dont eat carbs never get this feeling, so defin related.

Reactions: lucylocket61

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably explains why I'm tired alot of the time. Blood sugar being too high too much of the time. I know if my blood sugar is high now as my nerve pain kicks in.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I can tell when my blood sugars are high. I have to lay down and I feel really mentally tired. Physically not tired. But Mentally I feel like falling asleep although I never do. Too tired to even watch tv. When I dont eat carbs never get this feeling, so defin related.
Thanks aard, the majority of the forum agrees; I find i get sleepy, which is not the worst side effect on the medical planet.