Low blood sugar

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have recently (it’s been 10 days) started a low carb diet after being on a very high carb diet. I’m type 1. And because I’m insulin resistant, I was advised to take 3 metformin a day which worked but because my diet is low carb I don’t need to take metformin. Ever since I’ve started this low carb diet, I have had so many hypos. Sometimes as low as 2.5. I stopped taking metformin cause I thought it would make it worse but I’m still having hypos. I’m really glad my blood sugars aren’t high anymore, the low carb has helped with hypers but I’m having too many hypos now. And the sun isn’t helping, I feel weak.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ever since I’ve started this low carb diet, I have had so many hypos. Sometimes as low as 2.5. I stopped taking metformin cause I thought it would make it worse but I’m still having hypos.
How are you adjusting your insulin doses to the change of diet?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Because it’s keto, I don’t take any insulin. Maybe 2 units of insulin a day if it’s a fruit.
What about your long acting insulin? Have you spoken with your diabetes nurse on reducing your dose?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Probably best idea to talk to your DN. A lot of things can cause hypos. I’ve noticed recently I kept getting hypos when I’ve been cycling more or at my volunteering at animal park. Lockdown probably threw everything out of balance as well. As I was used to being active so I had to increase mine during lockdown. But now after lockdowns eased I have to try to find the right balance again as I’m suddenly active again. So I decreased my insulin when i have active days. If you don’t want to talk to your DN decrease a little and see if it stops the hypos. Also have you been more active recently because if you have take that into consideration as well. But when you have your next review mention it to your DN.

Reactions: oldgreymare