Change over sensor

Drummermum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I’ve been trying out the Abbott’s Freestyle 2 sensor and it’s now coming to the end of its 14 days. Am I able to apply a new one before it ends or do I need to wait until it finishes? Will it be okay to place on the same arm?
Thank you - liking it so far!!!

Lakeslover

You can apply the new one, but don’t activate/scan it until the old one ends. Yes you can use the same arm. I have to because I can’t put it on the other arm because of another medical issue, it doesn’t cause a problem.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I normally put my next one on the day before my current one ran out so yes you can have two on at once, but I'd not activate it before the old one ran out otherwise you're just wasting some of its time.

I have put the next one on the same arm once or twice, but I tend to alternate just to give my arm a rest, also because I put the new one on a day early, it means I'm less likely to accidentally pull off the new one if they're on different arms :)

Reactions: Drummermum

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The other reason for not putting it on the same arm is that our body reacts to finding an alien object in our arm. This is why many people insert their sensor a day or two before activating it - to give our body time to acclimatise to the object.
If we place the new sensor close to the old one, it may impact the readings of the old one and undo all the good work of the pre-enabling insertion.

Reactions: Drummermum

Drummermum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The other reason for not putting it on the same arm is that our body reacts to finding an alien object in our arm. This is why many people insert their sensor a day or two before activating it - to give our body time to acclimatise to the object.
If we place the new sensor close to the old one, it may impact the readings of the old one and undo all the good work of the pre-enabling insertion.

Thank you. I’ve placed it on the other arm so will activate it when the other ‘runs out’

Reactions: In Response