Hot weather hypos?

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I’m just wondering if anyone finds they need to lower their insulin during hot weather.
I find I need a few units less during the day if I’m out and it’s humid. I don’t do strenuous physical exercise, I just walk and push the pram lol.
I took 1.5 units of fast acting for a (15g carb) snack and as correction as my bg was 11 getting out of the car. I walked for 20 minutes and began to feel hypo (sweaty, jelly legs, lightheaded and anxious) I checked my blood sugar and I had dropped from 11-3.6mmol in the time of leaving the car and walking down to the beach.

I’ve reduced basal by 1 unit tonight as my bg is still having sharp drops and decreased my nighttime insulin for my evening meal. Just wondering if anyone else gets this?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We are all different. Yes I know, you're probably fed up with being told that.
Weather certainly can affect blood sugars.
Some find they need less insulin in warmer months, some find they need less and some find little change.
I have an unscientific, unproven theory that it is at least partially to do with what weather we like. Personally, I prefer warmer weather. I am more chilled, more likely to be outside so more likely to be moving (btw pushing a pram IS exercise). I need less insulin.
Other people are uncomfortable in the heat and get stressed. Typically, they need more insulin.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We are all different. Yes I know, you're probably fed up with being told that.
Weather certainly can affect blood sugars.
Some find they need less insulin in warmer months, some find they need less and some find little change.
I have an unscientific, unproven theory that it is at least partially to do with what weather we like. Personally, I prefer warmer weather. I am more chilled, more likely to be outside so more likely to be moving (btw pushing a pram IS exercise). I need less insulin.
Other people are uncomfortable in the heat and get stressed. Typically, they need more insulin.

I’m assuming maybe because I was warm and doing light exercise straight after eating I absorbed the insulin quicker than the carbs I had could hit. I usually eat something long acting if I am walking as I know even light exercise is great for lowering levels. Nothing a little Pepsi and a rice cake couldn’t sort. I was just surprised at the quick drop!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I’m just wondering if anyone finds they need to lower their insulin during hot weather.
I find I need a few units less during the day if I’m out and it’s humid. I don’t do strenuous physical exercise, I just walk and push the pram lol.
I took 1.5 units of fast acting for a (15g carb) snack and as correction as my bg was 11 getting out of the car. I walked for 20 minutes and began to feel hypo (sweaty, jelly legs, lightheaded and anxious) I checked my blood sugar and I had dropped from 11-3.6mmol in the time of leaving the car and walking down to the beach.

I’ve reduced basal by 1 unit tonight as my bg is still having sharp drops and decreased my nighttime insulin for my evening meal. Just wondering if anyone else gets this?

Hi,

Yeah, whatever the reason. Whether chilling in it on a break or grafting in it. The temprature affects my sensitivity.
Lol, even with a certain amount of stress like a cornered dray horse at at an abattoir that would see a 3mmol jump on the graph in winter. In the heat I need to cream a unit off my basal.. Or I find multiple drops. No matter what the activity.?

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yeah, whatever the reason. Whether chilling in it on a break or grafting in it. The temprature affects my sensitivity.
Lol, even with a certain amount of stress like a cornered dray horse at at an abattoir that would see a 3mmol jump on the graph in winter. In the heat I need to cream a unit off my basal.. Or I find multiple drops. No matter what the activity.?

so strange! I found I was taking more insulin in the winter and have been slowly lowering since March when it started to warm up a little slightly. Will be keeping a closer eye, I wouldn’t have thought anything of it until my legs went like jelly and I started to get lightheaded which is usually the first symptom I get with a quick drop. My libre couldn’t even keep up lol.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so strange! I found I was taking more insulin in the winter and have been slowly lowering since March when it started to warm up a little slightly. Will be keeping a closer eye, I wouldn’t have thought anything of it until my legs went like jelly and I started to get lightheaded which is usually the first symptom I get with a quick drop. My libre couldn’t even keep up lol.

Libres for me are slow to react if I drop to register a rise? I carry my meter too.. Even the meter can be 20minutes behind how I feel.

Last night I finished work & took the truck I'd been using for 3 weeks back to the buisness address to pick up my van.
It had been a warm day the truck has no AC. My van had a duff battery as I discovered hitting the fob to unlock & disarm the alarm. Dead.
Lucky I carry "jump leads." I know what I'm doing with vehicles. I had a quick drop whilst I was attempting to start my wagon.
That's with a reduced basal. I should have been stressed. The truck I drive for work is new.
I don't normally know much about any vehicle developed after the year 2005? With modern Ford or Merc trucks they don't put the batteries under the bonnet.. I have to find a vauge place to find an earth to the chassis to achieve a jump start nose to nose.

I'd had a couple of lows during the day & had actally cut back on my bolus too? By the aformentioned, there should have been no Novorapid on board..

But yep, according to the graph. I was in the "zone" on the home straight when I jumped out the work's truck. Then a silly drop on basically discovering my van had other ideas..

New battery for my pride & joy this morning & a compact jumpstart device capable of also recharging my phone..
Edit; sorry about the long story. But this should have been one of those "liver dumping stress merchiants?"

Just #oneofthosethings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chloelox