What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay for fabulous five @PenguinMum. Even louder yay for HbA1c @Andydragon. 2nd woot for @Pasha and excellent reaction to more carbs. Potentially true 4.4 on Swipey @ 6.51 a.m - not sure how I slept that late. @DJC3 , see A1c fine. Contrary to the "arbitrary figure", AFAIC, like exam passes, that number is all the external verification I/we have to show any of this works. Stabbo and Swipey no better than my Gold Medal for Womem's Pole Vault to the outside world.

Last edited:

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
7.0 - Went to bed on a 5.9. Same old..... same old...... yawn.
I feel your pain. Several years of waking up with higher numbers in the morning than I went to bed with the previous night got very wearing at times.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
3.8 this morning, I was woken by my low glucose alarm - an entirely new experience. Quickly dealt with that with a few raisins before getting the morning insulin on board. Hope everyone has a good Sunday. Exam tomorrow so guess what I will be doing?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3.8 this morning, I was woken by my low glucose alarm - an entirely new experience. Quickly dealt with that with a few raisins before getting the morning insulin on board. Hope everyone has a good Sunday. Exam tomorrow so guess what I will be doing?
Hug for Hypo on such an important day. I'm sure you'll breeze through the exam.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.5 at 6AM and 6.0 just now at 09.10AM. These are good numbers considering it was eating day yesterday. I am cautiously optimistic that it will come down while i fast today.

Its bright and sunny outside. I hope you all have a lovely day. :)

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.6 at 6 AM and 6.6 at 7.50AM.

Report for those interested in my little experiment:
  • Before breaking the fast my reading was 5.1
  • During the day it went to 8 and it stayed above 7.6 for about an hour. This was between 10.15 to 11.15.
  • I broke fast at 96 hrs by eating 40gms of extra mature cheddar cheese, 100gms of air fried celeriac, three almond Flour pancakes and 2 chocolate keto bars. So net carb intake was well below 10gms.
  • 2 hours after eating this my reading was 5.7.
  • Before sleeping at around 23.30 reading was 6.1.
I genuinely have no idea what needs to be done to bring down these numbers. If eating what little I ate after 4 days of not eating anything is failing I guess I will just have to stick with ADF and ride it out. 6s I dont have a problem with, its the readings going past 7.6 during fasting that are puzzling and higher readings this morning after just a small intake that seem to be training my brain to discourage eating which can't be good so I need to consciously strike a balance.

Have a great weekend everyone. :)
Do you think that you do too much fasting and that maybe your body is trying to compensate in some way ? If I don't eat when I get up my numbers rise until I do maybe due to stored glucose ? Its a very complex condition this diabetes that's for sure :rolleyes:

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8.8 this am I think due to small takeaway ( fish and quite a few chips :rolleyes:) I am trying to keep to 100gr of carbs a day but failed yesterday . Still today is another day as they ( whoever they are ) say .:)

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think that you do too much fasting and that maybe your body is trying to compensate in some way ?
It has crossed my mind but the pertinent question then becomes if I am not giving the body any known raw material to make glucose where is it getting it from and answer can only be - from existing reserves - which is good even if it means rising BG as that means we are forcing body to deplete those sources as best as we can. In my case I do not believe that my body is now a hoarder of such reserves so it becomes a cause of concern and i will explain my reasoning below.

Now what I also understand from past few months of reading and observing extended fasts is that this occurrence of higher readings is most definitely due to body trying to combat what it perceives as threat...

I have been comparing my BG highs with pollen counts and it seems to shed some light as I can see a direct correlation of high pollen count periods showing high BG... that may not be true for others but my body for whatever reasons seems to perceive pollen as threat which is quite possibly the root cause of higher reading even during fasting state.

Nothing much I can do about it though so I just have to ride it out while continuing with what seems to be a working formula under normal times. However, as these high pollen count days are not normal times. So combining this with my belief that I do not think there are enough reserves to continue producing high amount of glucose, I think you are right that i should therefore provide food if its because of such a scenario... which is why when I eat i modify my intake to ensure enough protein is in my diet allowing for creation of BG even if it's for a fake threat model my body has decided to save me from.

Reactions: HeliGary

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

4.9 this morning.

Send an email GP today asking whether I am considered a person with a prior condition to determine when it is my turn to get vaccinated. Am a bit confused as on the one hand I was diagnosed with a very high HbA1c six years ago and this info still appears on every referral while on the other hand all my HbA1cs since have been the normal range and GP has communicated I am no longer diabetic. It will be interesting to see whether I hear back.
@ziggy_w great FBSs by the way! I am 61 and had my first covid jab in Feb the same time as my OH who is 64 and has health issues - so a lot earlier than our corresponding age group! The only reason I can think that I got it early was due to my T2 even though I have had a non-diabetic hba1c for approx 8 years as my only other health issues are hypothyroidism and high BP albeit now normal due to meds so I image you should have got one as well. Are you invited to have a flu jab each year as that may have a bearing when they trawled through the records? It would be interesting to see if you do get a response.