Celebratory Takeaway

Zambarau

I have a special anniversary coming up and would like to get a takeaway with the other half to celebrate. What food choices from takeaways have you found are 'safe' to eat for low-carbing T2s?

Reactions: Jo123 and Antje77

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Meat curries are usually pretty good.
Especially the creamy ones.

I don't tend to buy takeaways, but I do know that the cook chilled curries in places like Sainsbury are generally low carb.
Just avoid the rice and naan breads.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chinese - Foo Yung, chop suey, stir fried veggies, (careful of sauces) I get salt and pepper ribs from my takeaway as they are dry Indian usually anything Tandoori, drier curry’s, or a spinach curry fried okra, spinach paneer, avoid the obvious like rice, potatoes, noodles, onion bhajis, and flour thickened sauces. Enjoy your anniversary:)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We regularly get a Chinese takeaway. I always pick a 1/4 crispy duck. I eat all the duck and veggies but only have half the pancakes and just a smidge of the sauce.

Reactions: VashtiB

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on your special anniversary, @Zambarau .

Depending on what sort of food you enjoy, have you thought of contacting a restaurant, rather than a take away outlet? Many decent restaurants have during covid lockdown diversified, and started a takeaway service. Often will deliver, too. I have found that they have greater variety than general takeaway outlets, and have been very accommodating when I have asked to provide low carb foods.Chefs in restaurants usually aim to please, and I have tried to support my favourite place because would hate to lose it.

I would opt for fish, every time, but I know that my favourite restaurant only does freshly landed fish, catch of the day.

Edit: Perhaps this will be of use?
https://addtoketo.co.uk/best-keto-takeaway-foods-low-carb-options/

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we enjoyed this one from a local fish shop
20210206_184717_copy_612x816.jpg

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I find that any sauce seems to spike my blood sugar and rice seems to release its carbs so slowly that if I have it in the evening I can guarantee I will be high in the morning .

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a special anniversary coming up and would like to get a takeaway with the other half to celebrate. What food choices from takeaways have you found are 'safe' to eat for low-carbing T2s?

Hi there, I'm not sure how 'posh' you want the takeaway to be so apologies if my suggestions sound a bit basic for your celebration! Five guys do a fab burger which you can have without the bun and barely notice, or any Indian restaurant will do chicken tikka or similar meat dishes without the sauce (or the sauce separate so you can have a blob of it), or steak, steak, steak if you have a local restaurant that does them as takeaways. For an easy option though, I'd say 5 guys. x

Newly diagnosed

I usually have Nando’s Halloumi strips and butterfly chicken I go for the plain one. Or I have a chicken shish with extra salad (from kebab shop/pizza shop.) I just take it out the pitta bread.

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do Indian 2 veg sides - usually okra and spinach along with a curry of my choice - split the portion over 2 days - and find a couple of poppadum don't have any ill effects in fact usually stay in the 5's after eating - no spike; chicken donner kebab with salad - again 0 spikes; and if I am careful with what I choose occasionally chinese but it has taken a lot of trial and elimination to find a good chinese takeaway as some of them seem to put sugar in everything...

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here's a few things I have done:
  • There's a good local pizza place that serves a keto-crust pizza.
  • Chinese: Beef/broccoli for example. No noodles, no rice, and no sweet sauces.
  • "Five Guys" will serve burgers using a lettuce bun here in Canada. Bacon double cheese-burger lettuce-wrap. :)
  • Indian food no rice, no naan, skip the pakoras and bajis. So yeah pretty much just the meats and veg in sauce.
  • Pho hold the noddles, extra extra sprouts. (ie sprouts instead of noodles).
  • Taco bowl / burrito bowl. You need to avoid the beans and rice.