Diabetic Socks

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never worn diabetic socks, I just get socks that are comfortable and shoes that don't rub :)

I'm pretty sure most things labelled as 'diabetic socks' are just a money maker (edit: typo)

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I regard these as a bit of a scam. Just buy quality socks that feel comfortable and don't rub.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You just need socks that don't have a tight rib round the top - that seems to be the only difference. I buy cotton or cotton rich socks so my feet don't sweat and get damp.

Reactions: Pasha

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Has anyone found anywhere that sells bright coloured diabetic socks

Do you have poorly controlled diabetes and/or foot problems?

Asking because if you don't then I'm not sure that you need anything special.

When first diagnosed I read far too much and became paranoid about foot care, always wearing shoes around the house, never going bare foot etc.

After the first year I realised that my feet were still fine, that I still healed if I cut myself, and became more relaxed.

Now I go barefoot around the house a lot of the time, wear Birkenstocks instead of shoes.
I still wear boots for walking to protect my feet but then again I did before diagnosis.

I am still "foot aware" but I can still feel the soles of my feet, and through the soles of my feet. You realise that when you walk around in bare feet. :)

If I lose sensitivity or start having problems healing then I will take extra precautions.

Reactions: EllieM

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Diabetic socks have very little elastic in them

For people suffering neuropathy in the feet regular socks can hurt as it slightly reduces blood flow. But also the pressure can cause extra pain

So for some diabetic socks are good

But not required for most diabetics

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I have them, they are the only socks I wear because I find them to be the most comfortable. Normal socks I find make my feet sweat. And no, I'm not stupid either. I got mine in the US, at one of the stores. I haven't actually looked for them online. And they are plain white, which might put the OP off some.

Reactions: Alexandra100

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
they are plain white, which might put the OP off some
The "Diabetes Strong" article linked to above explains that white is best for diabetic socks as it gives a good chance that bleeding may be noticed even when the feet are numb.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The "Diabetes Strong" article linked to above explains that white is best for diabetic socks as it gives a good chance that bleeding may be noticed even when the feet are numb.

Yeah, I guess it sure would.

For me, socks are like shoes... it's all about the comfort factor. :)

Reactions: Rokaab

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently discovered bamboo socks. Soft and naturally sweat wicking and non smelly. Brilliant. Found mine in tkmaxx at a good price.