Freestyle libre 2 problems

ClintLesley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

I've had been using freestyle libre for about 2 yrs, just got version 2 which has the alarm system for high and low blood glucose. My first sensor was fine, changed it on Monday as per the end of 14 days and since then (it is connected to my samsung phone) it continues to say the alarm is unable to work as some notification or permission has not been authorised. I have spent the past 2 days checking every notification and permission, changed the sensor last night for another (still saying it cant work) even been to a phone shop to buy a new phone but was assured the senor is compatible Samsung J6. MY partner who teachers tech at university level is pulling his hair out, he said the blue tooth wasn't connected but the more he looks into this the more frustrated he is becoming. I have spoken to Abbot who have offered a replacement sensor but the problem is still there, constant reminders on my phone telling me the alarm cant work as permission is not given. Anyone using libre 2 with success ?

Last edited:

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Even though you are getting that message do the alarms actually work? My phone has always said it can't do alarms, but it does. Abbott said I should remove the app and data and reinstall . A bit inconvenient so is haven't, I just ignore the error. Might do it whenever I upgrade the phone.

Screenshot_20210422-132310.png

rolandxkey

I've been using Libre 2 for 76 days. My first sensor didn't connect to alarms, Abbott sent me a replacement and been fine since then. I have a Samsung A5 phone.
But, while I find Libre 2 great in relation to finger pricking, I do have practical issues with it:
Firstly I've had to suppress all notifications from ALL other apps because they often (not always) cause the alarm system to disconnect and I'm unaware this has happened. I have to manually check for messages, for example, including urgent ones.
Secondly, I'm Type 3c (no pancreas= no glucagon) so when my BG falls it can do so very rapidly. Even with the low alarm set at the highest setting of 5.6 this sometimes isn't soon enough to stop a hypo. Why do Abbott think they know better than me what the low limit needs to be?
Thirdly, even with the notifications suppressed the app and sensor still stop communicating, typically at least once per sensor, for 30-60 minutes. Again, you don't know this is occurring, unless you're checking = frightening.
Does anyone else have such problems?

On the plus side the LibreView reports are great, expanding on those visible through the app. But some use vocabulary that is different to the reports on the app. However LibreView only works through a PC, which in this day and age is infuriating. Why not accessible from a high spec tablet? Nowadays I have little other use for a PC.

ClintLesley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Even though you are getting that message do the alarms actually work? My phone has always said it can't do alarms, but it does. Abbott said I should remove the app and data and reinstall . A bit inconvenient so is haven't, I just ignore the error. Might do it whenever I upgrade the phone.

View attachment 49054
Thats what I have just done, uninstalled the app then installed and it works fine. Just got an alarm telling me I am going high. I didn't need to change the sensor and to be honest it took 5 mins to do. I find the alarm at night essential as my night hypos were only waking me up at 2.4 !! Lost 2 weeks of data but I OK with that as long as the night hypos reduce, sleep disruption is not worth it.

ClintLesley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been using Libre 2 for 76 days. My first sensor didn't connect to alarms, Abbott sent me a replacement and been fine since then. I have a Samsung A5 phone.
But, while I find Libre 2 great in relation to finger pricking, I do have practical issues with it:
Firstly I've had to suppress all notifications from ALL other apps because they often (not always) cause the alarm system to disconnect and I'm unaware this has happened. I have to manually check for messages, for example, including urgent ones.
Secondly, I'm Type 3c (no pancreas= no glucagon) so when my BG falls it can do so very rapidly. Even with the low alarm set at the highest setting of 5.6 this sometimes isn't soon enough to stop a hypo. Why do Abbott think they know better than me what the low limit needs to be?
Thirdly, even with the notifications suppressed the app and sensor still stop communicating, typically at least once per sensor, for 30-60 minutes. Again, you don't know this is occurring, unless you're checking = frightening.
Does anyone else have such problems?

On the plus side the LibreView reports are great, expanding on those visible through the app. But some use vocabulary that is different to the reports on the app. However LibreView only works through a PC, which in this day and age is infuriating. Why not accessible from a high spec tablet? Nowadays I have little other use for a PC.

I can see how the notifications will be an issue. I am thinking of using one phone just for libre and getting my old one out for call etc. My focus is to reduce my nigh time hypos so 3 weeks in with libre 2 its good for that.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats what I have just done, uninstalled the app then installed and it works fine. Just got an alarm telling me I am going high. I didn't need to change the sensor and to be honest it took 5 mins to do. I find the alarm at night essential as my night hypos were only waking me up at 2.4 !! Lost 2 weeks of data but I OK with that as long as the night hypos reduce, sleep disruption is not worth it.

I appreciate it's not hard to do, just a trade off between an annoying error and a rolling 90 days. I know it's on LV. In the past when moving phones or other mucking around I've used and to copy and restore, but that wouldn't help if the database has a rogue bit of data somewhere. I'm just disappointed with Abbott's techies who just say that rather than fix it. Poor.

As I typed I figured I might be able to save the current data, start a new one then look for the difference, correct it and restore. Hmm. My ambition may just have surpassed my skill there, but that's the sort of thing their techs could do.

Ah well, nearly tea time.....

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Are you using https://www.libreview.com? Seems to work perfectly for me on phone/tablet. :)

rolandxkey

Thank you Big Col. Just followed your advice with success. Interestingly the Abbott rep on the phone helpline told me, robustly, Libreview could only be accessed on a PC. Lesson learnt!

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
www.libreview.com is viewable from any browser on any device. The main caveat is that it is poorly designed or implemented so it doesn't scale well on small screens.

Elaine karen

Hi

I've had been using freestyle libre for about 2 yrs, just got version 2 which has the alarm system for high and low blood glucose. My first sensor was fine, changed it on Monday as per the end of 14 days and since then (it is connected to my samsung phone) it continues to say the alarm is unable to work as some notification or permission has not been authorised. I have spent the past 2 days checking every notification and permission, changed the sensor last night for another (still saying it cant work) even been to a phone shop to buy a new phone but was assured the senor is compatible Samsung J6. MY partner who teachers tech at university level is pulling his hair out, he said the blue tooth wasn't connected but the more he looks into this the more frustrated he is becoming. I have spoken to Abbot who have offered a replacement sensor but the problem is still there, constant reminders on my phone telling me the alarm cant work as permission is not given. Anyone using libre 2 with success ?
Hello I've just read this I've had the libre 2 for 3 months. And I'm having exactly the same happen. I was even thinking of changing my phone. When it was 1st set up was totally fine and then this week its saying alarms unavailable but alarm went off last night wen it went low. Spoke to Abbott yesterday and thy are sending me a new sensor. They went through every check wiv me on the phone and my setup was fine. So even though it says alarms unavailable it still alarming me. Can't make it out. Did you resolve the issue in the end. I'm at a loss with ut, apart from that it's brilliant.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I realise it's a big ask, but Abbott have said remove the app and reinstall. Unfortunately it loses the 90 days data from the phone, it is still on Libreview though.

I just put up with the odd notification about no alarms. I might do it someday...

alandonohoe

I have had issues with it as well and have to switch off the NFC and switch it back on to get it working ok. It is a samsung phone that I have as well.

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been having a shocking time with the them! Just opened my latest box of 4 and the first 2 have not even worked from warm up! 2 in a row! When they do work the alarms only work intermittently

Garyg 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Phone abbot, they’re really helpful.

Bloodraven

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If anyone here is still having problems with the alarm settings on thier Libra app, I just managed to fix mine by going to the individual alarms (Low, High, Signal lost etc) - sounds - alarm tone - sound - and applying the Notification sounds manually instead of "app chosen default". And that seems to have fixed it.

This was on android.
Hope that helps.

Regards
Sean

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got my Libre 2 and the alarms didn't want to respond to the AX5 monitor that came with it so I tried to uninstall and reinstall the app but the app no longer accepted scans from my monitor which said 'sensor in use by another monitor' so be aware of uninstalling app already in use, first bloody day using it and it was impressive until the alarm problem

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
If you go to page 3. Look for "Libre 2 Alarms" title I've posted a few tips there

Reactions: Tim Hot