Fiber to help with hunger between meals

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat vegies every day, but I am still having hunger feelings, even ravenous, between meals last few days. I'm reading/hearing that more water and fiber with meals helps with hunger between meals. I'm never hungry like this after dinner in the evening but that's when I have the best balanced meal. A meat, vegetable, and usually like cottage cheese as a side dish. My vegies may not provide enough fiber though. I saw where a cup of kale has only 2.6 grams of fiber, and our daily intake, supposedly should be 25-30 grams of fiber.

So I'm looking at psyllium supplement. Any direction you can give me on this? I try the water but no sooner do I drink a glass, I'm still hungry ;( With my meat, fats, and carbs I'm getting usually around 1400 calories a day, I shouldn't be hungry. I've been on Keto/low-carbs for 3 months now.

Up until a month ago I would have 3 meals x day, not big ones ..but still.

Breakfast would be yogurt with a (reduced) amount of cereal + berries , for lunch some lentils with veggies and the usual fish and salad for dinner.

After watching a video about microbiomes and the correlation between a healthy gut and diabetes I decided to give my gut a booster and looked for a way to introduce more fiber to my meals ...but there’s so many veggies you can eat with your meal and even the largest portion wouldn’t contain the amount of fiber recommended to feed the healthy bacteria in the gut.

I decided to get some inulin fiber and started to add it to my yougurty breakfast + I replaced the no added sugar Alpro with Kefir bio (apparently the gut loves it!) and added a tiny amount of vegan proteins (powder) to the mix (this is now my favorite meal of the day!)

I never even thought about it but reading your post made me realize that coincidentally since I added the extra ingredients to my breakfast I started to skip the second meal of the day and go straight to dinner as I stopped being hungry until the evening. I sometime drink a few proteins mixed with water as a second meal purely for calories but I could easily go without.

For reference: Breakfast is usually around 11am/12pm (depending on what time I have dinner the night before as I leave at least 12 hours in between) – Lunch used to be around 5pm (I don’t have it anymore) – Dinner around 9/10pm. I don’t drink water as I am never thirsty (I do have a few coffees throughout the day though).

I thought I’d share what works for me in case it may help.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
What Australians call "jelly" is jello for you in the US. What we call "jam" in Australia (and England) is what you call jelly. Huge distinction between the two based on language.

So you might not be outta luck @G0ldengirl68
Oh, ok, that's good news, Jello we've got ;)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Breakfast would be yogurt with a (reduced) amount of cereal + berries , for lunch some lentils with veggies and the usual fish and salad for dinner.

After watching a video about microbiomes and the correlation between a healthy gut and diabetes I decided to give my gut a booster and looked for a way to introduce more fiber to my meals ...but there’s so many veggies you can eat with your meal and even the largest portion wouldn’t contain the amount of fiber recommended to feed the healthy bacteria in the gut.

I decided to get some inulin fiber and started to add it to my yougurty breakfast + I replaced the no added sugar Alpro with Kefir bio (apparently the gut loves it!) and added a tiny amount of vegan proteins (powder) to the mix (this is now my favorite meal of the day!)

I never even thought about it but reading your post made me realize that coincidentally since I added the extra ingredients to my breakfast I started to skip the second meal of the day and go straight to dinner as I stopped being hungry until the evening. I sometime drink a few proteins mixed with water as a second meal purely for calories but I could easily go without.

For reference: Breakfast is usually around 11am/12pm (depending on what time I have dinner the night before as I leave at least 12 hours in between) – Lunch used to be around 5pm (I don’t have it anymore) – Dinner around 9/10pm. I don’t drink water as I am never thirsty (I do have a few coffees throughout the day though).

I was just listening to a video on microbiomes yesterday Zeus, and been studying the "healthy gut" thing for some time because of Acid Reflux, and possible LPR (Laryngopharyngeal reflux). I dropped that ball when I got my T2 Diagnosis, but still have issues with it, although way less since the dietary changes. Yes on the vegies "whole" at meals, I can't come close to even 25 grams per day. The Inulin fiber sound good, and especially being able to skip a whole lunch. I like the yogurt thing with berries and walnuts for a sort of snack between meals but it hasn't been holding me over.

I've seen Kefir around our "outlet" store but never tried it, yet ;) I appreciate your reply and first, I will look for Inulin Powder.

Thanks so much!
PS Do you watch Dr. Berg by chance? Bikman is good too, although I don't agree on everything Dr. Berg says, but I do find a lot of info to sift through ;)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks @Riva_Roxaban . I can even sing the song "I love Aeroplane Jelly ....."

@G0ldengirl68 I use a psyllium husk supplement ongoing in capsule form to keep everything regular though usually when I am eating a lot of meat. Not sure if it affects my appetite though.
I read more on psyllium and think it is a good way to stay regular. I have come close to ordering that one, and good to know someone that uses it :) I don't have any regularity issues, probably due to the Magnesium Citrate I take at night, 400mg but that's not helping with the hunger thing.

For anyone reading, I love my vegetables, especially spinach, brocolli and avocados (actually fruits I've read). I just can't consume enough of those to get what is recommended (fiber). I don't eat light either, for my size, 1400 a day as I track my macros, and calories by TDEE. My "Total Daily Energy Expenditure". I've done good keeping my weight down, but was still consuming a lot of carbs. Then the T2 was diagnosed.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Hey @Z_e_u_s, this is something interesting I just found! I was looking on Amazon for Inulin Powder and found it is actually in Chicory Root. I had gone off the Chicory root (2 parts CR and 1 part regular coffee) to save some carbs, and gone back to leaded coffee mixed with decaf (yuck) but if I'm remembering right, that's when the hunger really started to hit me between breakfast and lunch. Yesterday I did not have the hunger thing after breakfast, and just so happens I started back on my Chicory root with a 3rd of that being regular coffee.

I decided I would rather have the carbs than have my tremor get worse (I have essential tremors). I can still keep my carbs under 50, usually under 40 grams too so no BG spikes.

I'm doing the same today so we'll see how that goes. I still have to look up my Chicory Root brand I get and see if it has inulin listed, but I am sure wondering!

Edit: This article blew me away! All this time, and I didn't make the connection with fiber and my chicory root :confused::woot: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/inulin-uses-and-risks

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Oh, ok, that's good news, Jello we've got ;)

Now you might know why we in Australia were so floored by Elvis' obsession with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. That sounded truly weird .... when all along it was PB and jam

Last edited:

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Now you might know why we in Australia were so floored by Elvis' obsession with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. That sounded truly weird ....
I never could understand women's "screaming" obsession with Elvis ;) Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, were a couple of my faves ;)

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @Z_e_u_s, this is something interesting I just found! I was looking on Amazon for Inulin Powder and found it is actually in Chicory Root. I had gone off the Chicory root (2 parts CR and 1 part regular coffee) to save some carbs, and gone back to leaded coffee mixed with decaf (yuck) but if I'm remembering right, that's when the hunger really started to hit me between breakfast and lunch. Yesterday I did not have the hunger thing after breakfast, and just so happens I started back on my Chicory root with a 3rd of that being regular coffee.

I decided I would rather have the carbs than have my tremor get worse (I have essential tremors). I can still keep my carbs under 50, usually under 40 grams too so no BG spikes.

I'm doing the same today so we'll see how that goes. I still have to look up my Chicory Root brand I get and see if it has inulin listed, but I am sure wondering!

Edit: This article blew me away! All this time, and I didn't make the connection with fiber and my chicory root :confused::woot: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/inulin-uses-and-risks

Hi again, I have not heard about Berg nor Bikman but I will sure look them up at some point.

Right now I am diving into the studies of Dr. Roy Taylor as what he asserts is something I suspected all along and it resonates with me (the principle that you don’t need to be obese to have diabetes but just ‘too fat for your own body’as that is my personal case).

As for the inulin fiber yes I did know it was in Chicory root as I researched what type of fibre to get before i decided for this specific type and was considering psyllium supplement but then after reading a few articles (including the one you mentioned in your previous post on inulin fibre) I decided to get the chicory one.

My grandmother (who is the one who passed on the diabetes gene to ALL her 7 children) was eating chicory every day and lived with diabetes until she was 95 year old (or perhaps 99?). so if it worked for her I thought it might work for me too ;)

As for the carbs in inulin : I too was concerned about increasing the amount of carbs when I decided to introduce prebiotics + fibre into my diet but after watching this video about how important the gut bacteria are especially for people with diabetes (of course each one has their own opinions on the subject and we choose what we deem to be applicable to ourselves) I decided to experiment at least for a while and see if it made any difference to me.

This is when it gets interesting.

Like most people with our condition we start counting Micros..well Carbs more than anything since that seems to be the main problem.

Being a newly diagnosed didn’t have a meter (advised against getting one by my diabetic nurse) but thanks to this forum I chose to get one.

Never been a breakfast person but decided to eat regular meals and had to find a breakfast option so settled for cereals with yogurt and berries (whether raspberries, blueberries or strawberries) as my main breakfast (alternating with eggs every 3 days to break the pattern and mix it up a bit) . I started with the recommended serving size of whichever cereal I tried at the time (obviously I went for the ones with the lowest content of carbs/sugar) + 80 gr of Alpro no sugar (2.3 gr Fat – 0 gr carbs – 4 gr Proteins x 100gr of product).

I didn’t have a meter at the time so when I got one I realized that the increase in BG was too much so I reduced the amount of cereals slowly until I was happier with the BG readings (the amount of grams of cereal tolerance varied depending of the type and brand of course and carb content per serving).

When I decided to introduce probiotics and fiber (as well as some extra proteins) to my breakfast I was concerned about the extra carbs that came with it but I thought I would start and then adjust (reduce) the amount of cereals ; however I started from the usual amount of cereals to start with and then adjust it to my meter.

I substituted Alpro with Kefir and was a bit anxious as the latter has 7.4 gr carbs x 100 gr; so I went from NO carbs in my yogurt to a whopping 7.4gr increase!! + I added 5 mg of inulin fibre too! + 10 gr of Proteins (vegan powder)! I thought it would be a bit too much and I was expecting my BG reading to be higher than usual but I thought I would reduce the cereal portion later as I was more adamant on keeping prebiotics and fibre in my meal.

I had to go from 80gr of Alpro to 100gr of Kefir since 80gr wasn’t enough to mix the extra powder .

So...keeping the SAME amount of cereals and increasing the carbs in my yogurt from 0 to 7.4gr + adding 5gr of inulin fibre + 10 gr of proteins gave me LOWER BG readings than what I was eating before (with less carbs). I thought it was a one off but been doing this for over a month now and readings are consistent ...so I am basically eating more overall carbs for breakfast, more proteins and fiber and have lower readings and I feel obviously fuller as I have increased my micros in that meal.

And it gets even better! My BG readings have dropped over the last months (since I introduced prebiotics into my diet) and I feel somehow better (can’t really pinpoint what exactly made the difference).

Since I saw lower readings I decided to be more adventurous!

2 weeks ago, after the ease of lock-down restrictions, I went to meet a friend and we had pizza for dinner; home-made with rye flour (60gr of carbs x 100 gr of product). I had a FULL pizza (surely above 60gr of carbs) + half a beer and my readings were : pre-meal 3.8 – 1 hour later 5.7 – 2 hours later 4.9 !! I felt absolutely fine and not even bloated! How was this possible?

After a week (last Saturday) I did the same as was too curious to see if it was a one off, so had same meal again (whole pizza + half glass of beer) and my readings were: pre-meal 4.8 – 1 hour later 6.8 – 2 hours later 5.1 – 3 hours later 6.6 - 4 hours later 5.6 (I tested more this time in case the spikes came well after the usual 2 hours).

I used to have way higher readings after breakfast at the start of keeping tracks of my readings after eating (beginning of March); the only difference in my diet has been introducing a prebiotic yogurt and fibre (well extra proteins too with breakfast and sometime during the day).

I understand you are worried about the extra carbs from fibre to your meal but since I did so my BG readings got better (or was it the Kefir? still don't know).
Also I read that fiber has no nutritional value so it doesn't really count as carbs (but I also read that people with diabetes should count it as carbs...still confused on this one).

I am NOT encouraging anybody to go crazy with carbs let’s that be clear! I am simply reporting my own personal experience ..which if I am honest..I still can’t wrap my head around!

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to mention I also introduced cinnamon in my diet adding it to my yougurty breakfast.
I read somewhere it can mimic insulin and help lower blood sugar + I like the taste...so I thought why not? ;)

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi again, I have not heard about Berg nor Bikman but I will sure look them up at some point.

Right now I am diving into the studies of Dr. Roy Taylor as what he asserts is something I suspected all along and it resonates with me (the principle that you don’t need to be obese to have diabetes but just ‘too fat for your own body’as that is my personal case).

As for the inulin fiber yes I did know it was in Chicory root as I researched what type of fibre to get before i decided for this specific type and was considering psyllium supplement but then after reading a few articles (including the one you mentioned in your previous post on inulin fibre) I decided to get the chicory one.

My grandmother (who is the one who passed on the diabetes gene to ALL her 7 children) was eating chicory every day and lived with diabetes until she was 95 year old (or perhaps 99?). so if it worked for her I thought it might work for me too ;)

As for the carbs in inulin : I too was concerned about increasing the amount of carbs when I decided to introduce prebiotics + fibre into my diet but after watching this video about how important the gut bacteria are especially for people with diabetes (of course each one has their own opinions on the subject and we choose what we deem to be applicable to ourselves) I decided to experiment at least for a while and see if it made any difference to me.

This is when it gets interesting.

Like most people with our condition we start counting Micros..well Carbs more than anything since that seems to be the main problem.

Being a newly diagnosed didn’t have a meter (advised against getting one by my diabetic nurse) but thanks to this forum I chose to get one.

Never been a breakfast person but decided to eat regular meals and had to find a breakfast option so settled for cereals with yogurt and berries (whether raspberries, blueberries or strawberries) as my main breakfast (alternating with eggs every 3 days to break the pattern and mix it up a bit) . I started with the recommended serving size of whichever cereal I tried at the time (obviously I went for the ones with the lowest content of carbs/sugar) + 80 gr of Alpro no sugar (2.3 gr Fat – 0 gr carbs – 4 gr Proteins x 100gr of product).

I didn’t have a meter at the time so when I got one I realized that the increase in BG was too much so I reduced the amount of cereals slowly until I was happier with the BG readings (the amount of grams of cereal tolerance varied depending of the type and brand of course and carb content per serving).

When I decided to introduce probiotics and fiber (as well as some extra proteins) to my breakfast I was concerned about the extra carbs that came with it but I thought I would start and then adjust (reduce) the amount of cereals ; however I started from the usual amount of cereals to start with and then adjust it to my meter.

I substituted Alpro with Kefir and was a bit anxious as the latter has 7.4 gr carbs x 100 gr; so I went from NO carbs in my yogurt to a whopping 7.4gr increase!! + I added 5 mg of inulin fibre too! + 10 gr of Proteins (vegan powder)! I thought it would be a bit too much and I was expecting my BG reading to be higher than usual but I thought I would reduce the cereal portion later as I was more adamant on keeping prebiotics and fibre in my meal.

I had to go from 80gr of Alpro to 100gr of Kefir since 80gr wasn’t enough to mix the extra powder .

So...keeping the SAME amount of cereals and increasing the carbs in my yogurt from 0 to 7.4gr + adding 5gr of inulin fibre + 10 gr of proteins gave me LOWER BG readings than what I was eating before (with less carbs). I thought it was a one off but been doing this for over a month now and readings are consistent ...so I am basically eating more overall carbs for breakfast, more proteins and fiber and have lower readings and I feel obviously fuller as I have increased my micros in that meal.

And it gets even better! My BG readings have dropped over the last months (since I introduced prebiotics into my diet) and I feel somehow better (can’t really pinpoint what exactly made the difference).

Since I saw lower readings I decided to be more adventurous!

2 weeks ago, after the ease of lock-down restrictions, I went to meet a friend and we had pizza for dinner; home-made with rye flour (60gr of carbs x 100 gr of product). I had a FULL pizza (surely above 60gr of carbs) + half a beer and my readings were : pre-meal 3.8 – 1 hour later 5.7 – 2 hours later 4.9 !! I felt absolutely fine and not even bloated! How was this possible?

After a week (last Saturday) I did the same as was too curious to see if it was a one off, so had same meal again (whole pizza + half glass of beer) and my readings were: pre-meal 4.8 – 1 hour later 6.8 – 2 hours later 5.1 – 3 hours later 6.6 - 4 hours later 5.6 (I tested more this time in case the spikes came well after the usual 2 hours).

I used to have way higher readings after breakfast at the start of keeping tracks of my readings after eating (beginning of March); the only difference in my diet has been introducing a prebiotic yogurt and fibre (well extra proteins too with breakfast and sometime during the day).

I understand you are worried about the extra carbs from fibre to your meal but since I did so my BG readings got better (or was it the Kefir? still don't know).
Also I read that fiber has no nutritional value so it doesn't really count as carbs (but I also read that people with diabetes should count it as carbs...still confused on this one).

I am NOT encouraging anybody to go crazy with carbs let’s that be clear! I am simply reporting my own personal experience ..which if I am honest..I still can’t wrap my head around!

This was a good read, thanks so much! I suspect, with a little more effort, I could discover a lot more about regulating my numbers while eating different types of foods. I've been so happy about just lowering my BG, especially the Fasting when I thought that would never come down, that I eat much the same each week. I'm ok with that though and don't seem to tire from it. I do change up with my meats and fats, but breakfast stays basically, the same.

I'm also someone that didn't have much "fat" to get rid of, although I'm in the process of figuring my Body Fat % right now. I found a formula that is supposed to at least, be a ballpark figure. I was 136 when diagnosed, and 124 right now. I am 68 so I think it had to do more with age, and genetics for me. It was my grandmother that had the "Sugar Diabetes", that's what she called it back in the 60s.

I have a doc appt today, just a telemed with him, and hoping he doesn't push for me to take the cholesterol meds, or blood pressure. I believe, since those numbers are better with the last labs, they will continue to drop because of my exercise and nutrition. Pretty sure he will agree, but nevertheless, I'm just going to be tactful, and tell him I would like to continue this way, and do another lab in 3 months.

Thank you again for the read, and wonderful how well you've done!!

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I forgot to mention I also introduced cinnamon in my diet adding it to my yougurty breakfast.
I read somewhere it can mimic insulin and help lower blood sugar + I like the taste...so I thought why not? ;)
That's interesting because I eat a lot of cinnamon as well, I love it!! I wonder if it also works like fiber because it's like a fiber as well because it's bark. It's 4.1g per tbsp.

Here's just one of Dr. Berg's vids on Fiber. He has lots of good ones, but I just take what I am ok with trying :)

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well considering I am in my 40’s I am way ahead of you in this thing and lots more many years of suffering (hopefully not though with good nutrition and exercise)...+ I already had cataracts removed from both eyes as a consequence of D2; so all in all you are probably doing way better than I am right now ;)

I lost a stone since diagnosis although I was told I was not ‘big’ enough to be diabetic but I am going to go with what Roy Taylor thinks on this one : ‘It’s not about hoe fat one is but about how fat one is for his own body’ . Perhaps I am meant to be extra skinny...then so be it!

I watched the same info on fibre although by a different doctor who was predominantly discussing the importance of a healthy gut for diabetics hence my introduction to inulin and kefir into my diet; but hearing more than one person asserting the same thing is promising; shame that that info doesn’t come from a GP :(

Good luck with your appointment and don’t take for good everything they say! If it was for them I would be still on medication and no chance I would have had another pizza in my life!

If it doesn’t feel right...it most likely ain’t! ;)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well considering I am in my 40’s I am way ahead of you in this thing and lots more many years of suffering (hopefully not though with good nutrition and exercise)...+ I already had cataracts removed from both eyes as a consequence of D2; so all in all you are probably doing way better than I am right now ;)

I lost a stone since diagnosis although I was told I was not ‘big’ enough to be diabetic but I am going to go with what Roy Taylor thinks on this one : ‘It’s not about hoe fat one is but about how fat one is for his own body’ . Perhaps I am meant to be extra skinny...then so be it!

I watched the same info on fibre although by a different doctor who was predominantly discussing the importance of a healthy gut for diabetics hence my introduction to inulin and kefir into my diet; but hearing more than one person asserting the same thing is promising; shame that that info doesn’t come from a GP :(

Good luck with your appointment and don’t take for good everything they say! If it was for them I would be still on medication and no chance I would have had another pizza in my life!

If it doesn’t feel right...it most likely ain’t! ;)
I listened to one on Inulin too, specifically, that was very interesting. I feel fortunate to find so much online, and studies as well at Pubmed. Amazing to me is how many things aren't "studied", just old wives tales passed down through the years. I like reading something that shows the data to back it up. Well, as much as we can believe data nowadays ;)

I'm doing a search for Dr. Taylors stuff too @Z_e_u_s as I like hearing info from many sources too ;) The first time I heard that "gut" word, I thought "what the heck is this about", but the info is priceless and my acid reflux is all but gone, and noticed overnight my LPR symptoms are dwindling as well. Can't encourage people enough to do their own homework, and not just assume the doctors are right, or anyone for that matter ;)