Fake News travels fast it seems

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the Daily Mail last Thursday, and being discussed on Fox News and CNN today

I am so sorry, but the link below seems to be a severe wardrobe failure/cut and paste
booboo. I have corrected the original intent for this debate in post#6 following.

I will leave this disussion in here since it is still useful, but it was not as far as I know in the Mail.

Since this is my OP, I will accept comments on both discussions so long as it is clrar which discussion you may be responding to.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317094#protein

Last edited:

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh jeez and not even a mere mention of carbs. I guess acknowledging carbs would put a dampener on that ‘healthy’ fibre list!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This really annoys me. I get that some people wish to follow such a diet and that's absolutely fine. Why though do they put it out there as if it was some miracle cure for diabetes and if we only followed it we wouldn't be in such a predicament. I do wish someone would sue them for spouting this rubbish, 'try some oats with sliced banana for extra sweetness'??? It cannot be that hard to just tell people what carbs do to the body of a diabetic so they can then make an educated choice, banana or no!

Hotpepper20000

Wow. Just wow. I wonder if who funded this article?
If I even ate a fraction of what is suggested in that article I’d be on insulin for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: KK123

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The author Zawn Villines writes for Medical News Today, and she is a vegan it would seem.

The medical adviser Natalie Olson who also works for the same journal is also vegan. and actually acts as co-author on most articles.

I suspect that MNT is a vegan mouthpiece masquerading as a scientific journal.

Actually, CNN and Fox News are pushing another fake news story that was covered in Newsweek
https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-joe-biden-red-meat-climate-change-1586373

and the CNN response just now
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/26/...en-climate-plan-red-meat-hamburger/index.html

Actually the Mail did carry the Biden story as per the OP
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-climate-plan-affect-everyday-Americans.html

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I truly think these people are anti human.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
From the Daily Mail link:
"
  • While Biden hasn't released details, experts and recent studies have laid out what would need to change by 2030 to reach the goal
"

This has been all over Twitter as well.
Biden has said no such thing and it is all made up to wind up the Republican voters.

As the quote implies/says - we made this up.....

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From the Daily Mail link:
"
  • While Biden hasn't released details, experts and recent studies have laid out what would need to change by 2030 to reach the goal
"

This has been all over Twitter as well.
Biden has said no such thing and it is all made up to wind up the Republican voters.

As the quote implies/says - we made this up.....
I think one of the studies referred to is the EAT-Lancet report which advocated the one 4-oz burger a month. It did allow more fish but did not examine the consequence of the world's population needing fish where current activities only just meet demand. It also did not accept that whole species of farm animals will go extinct since there will be no economic infrastructure to maintain them. Not many people can keep cows or bulls or sheep as housepets. large catflaps needed like that TV advert for the shetland pony. Cancel meat seems to be an 'in thing'

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently this is the Michigan Uni study that the fake news is using for scientific evidence
https://zbook.org/read/ab610_report-no-css20-01-january-13-2020-university-of-michigan.html

I strongly suspect they have done what Eat Lancet and Harvard do, which is to assume one can replace like for like, ie 1 lb red meat by 1lb plant protein. But in real life we require twice as much plant product to get the same protein amino acid hit, and even then we miss out on half the amino acids since plants only give us even chain acids, and meat gives all the amino acids in one hit. So to replace animal protein requires at least two different crops to be grown to provide our essential needs. Given that the protein will need to be fortified to provide the heme iron and calcium and D3 needs, then it requires a lot more in the way of microbial sludge and energy to produce B12 and B6 and D3 and K2 . Morons IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal