Food

george2gg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Laziness
Hi, all I have never really had a lot of help when it comes to Diabetes as I was pretty good at managing and got down to HBA1C of 42! stopped smoking and am now at 82!
So I am on low carb!
Does anyone know about crackers and how they affect sugars?
Riveta, etc.
Thanks

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I avoid them, haigh carb, but best way to know what they do for any individual is to test blood glucose, before and after eating them.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Riveta, etc.

Depends on the crackers. Some are lower carb than others. If you look on the packaging it should list the carb value.

Two ways to go low carb

1) Measure your bg before and 2 hours after a meal and if it goes up by more than 2mmol/L you've had too many carbs.
2) Pick a total daily carb figure (eg 100g) and see how your levels go if you reduce to that level. If they aren't good enough go lower. Some people have to go down to 50g or 20g so 100g is a moderate start.

No reason why you can't do both.

And bear in mind that some people find they can tolerate some foods better than others, so it's not entirely the carbs. *Though lower is better.)

Good luck.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

george2gg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Laziness
Depends on the crackers. Some are lower carb than others. If you look on the packaging it should list the carb value.

Two ways to go low carb

1) Measure your bg before and 2 hours after a meal and if it goes up by more than 2mmol/L you've had too many carbs.
2) Pick a total daily carb figure (eg 100g) and see how your levels go if you reduce to that level. If they aren't good enough go lower. Some people have to go down to 50g or 20g so 100g is a moderate start.

No reason why you can't do both.

And bear in mind that some people find they can tolerate some foods better than others, so it's not entirely the carbs. *Though lower is better.)

Good luck.
Great thanks, I will do some experimenting
thank you

Reactions: EllieM

george2gg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Laziness
I avoid them, haigh carb, but best way to know what they do for any individual is to test blood glucose, before and after eating them.
Thanks looks like a lot of experimenting

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks looks like a lot of experimenting
Yes, along with checking carb content, if you keep accurate record of what you ate, and how your BG levels were before and after, you will see the emerging patterns. Then you will have your own , personal, guide on what is suitable for you.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, all I have never really had a lot of help when it comes to Diabetes as I was pretty good at managing and got down to HBA1C of 42! stopped smoking and am now at 82!
So I am on low carb!
Riveta, etc.
Thanks
I can eat 3 crackers but it’s best to test as we are all different.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
maybe try looking at a few recipes - there are low carb crackers, and other things - even bread - in fact I can smell my latest loaf baking now, having bought myself a bread machine. If I ate the whole loaf it would still be in my daily limits.

iceman39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I am on low carb!
Riveta, etc.
Thanks
Hello
i stopped eating bread long time ago, i eat ryeveta and my blood sugar is i can say very good comparing when i was eating bread
for my personal experience ryeveta are perfect , full of fibres , , 2 ryeveta with proactive butter and honey for breakfast , about 4 with soup at lunch,

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
i stopped eating bread long time ago, i eat ryeveta and my blood sugar is i can say very good comparing when i was eating bread
for my personal experience ryeveta are perfect , full of fibres , , 2 ryeveta with proactive butter and honey for breakfast , about 4 with soup at lunch,
things are different for type 2, which is what the original poster is.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
If you have much honey then the ryvita is probably insignificant in comparison.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great thanks, I will do some experimenting
thank you
Just a quick postscript to EllieM's excellent advice. If you were to have a cracker you can blunt the impact of it by eating fat e.g. cheese, homous, egg , nut butter.... More experimenting needed. Personally I love the crunch factor but do find them quite moreish which is a watch out for me.

iceman39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you have much honey then the ryvita is probably insignificant in comparison.
depend what job you do and activities physical jobs need more energy then no physical, as you know is not an exact secience , everybody ajust his insulin and food

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
depend what job you do and activities physical jobs need more energy then no physical, as you know is not an exact secience , everybody ajust his insulin and food
People who don't inject Insulin can't adjust it. I was replying for the benefit of the OP.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I repeat, the original poster, like many of us on this forum, is type 2 diabetic. Relatively few type 2 diabetics use insulin.