Anyone tried the Slimfast Keto diet plan?

Dark Horse

Its not NICE advice per se, but is in the info given to doctors
Be aware that this article has a distinct vegetarian bias. The author is not identified.
Thanks. Although Medical News Today produces articles that are generally of good quality, it is a) essentially an online magazine and b) based in the USA where advice may be different.

I found this from 2015 NICE guidelines regarding preventing excess weight gain:-
Reduce the overall energy density of the diet. Practical ways to achieve this may include:
reducing how often energy dense foods and drinks (such as fried foods, biscuits, savoury snacks, confectionery and drinks made with full fat milk or cream) are eaten
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng7/chapter/1-recommendations

Dark Horse

Its not NICE advice per se, but is in the info given to doctors
Be aware that this article has a distinct vegetarian bias. The author is not identified.
Thanks. Although Medical News Today produces articles that are generally of good quality, it is a) essentially an online magazine and b) based in the USA where advice may be different.

I found this from NICE:-
Reduce the overall energy density of the diet. Practical ways to achieve this may include:
reducing how often energy dense foods and drinks (such as fried foods, biscuits, savoury snacks, confectionery and drinks made with full fat milk or cream) are eaten

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng7/chapter/1-recommendations

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, it seems my reference to NICE for dietary guidance was amiss. The NG28 Guidelines for T2D were re-written in 2009, and references to Eatwell etc were ditched in favour of a personalised lifestyle management plan involving dieticians instead,
The guidelines have been updated again in 2020, and this is from that latest advice on weight control that is referenced from NG28 (2020)
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng...-that-reduce-the-risk-of-excess-energy-intake

The NG28 main document has this advice for diabetic specific advice on diet
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/Recommendations#dietary-advice-and-bariatric-surgery

But there is no formal guidance on snacking.

I wonder if anyone here has had an individual and ongoing interaction with their lifestyle management consultant by the NHS'

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not sure the keto slimfast is the same as normal slimfast. I have the slimfast keto shake sometimes as a breakfast if I’m getting bored of my usual breakfast choice. Looking at the tub, it doesn’t say anything regarding the normal slimfast meal plan, I think it’s just a drink to support a keto lifestyle? I may be wrong, but that’s how I read it. Hope this is helpful.

No, they are different. Slimfast is a carb-based diet meal replacement that is super-common here in North America. I used it when I did ND in the past, but the keto formulation didn't exist back then as far as I know/knew. I haven't looked at the keto version, but I'm assuming it's reasonably low-carb.

Newly diagnosed

No, they are different. Slimfast is a carb-based diet meal replacement that is super-common here in North America. I used it when I did ND in the past, but the keto formulation didn't exist back then as far as I know/knew. I haven't looked at the keto version, but I'm assuming it's reasonably low-carb.

It’s 4.4g of carbs per serving based on 200mls of cold water. @rogg

Last edited by a moderator:

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Found this on my travels, and wonder if it might make low carb keto diets any easier
https://slimfast.com/how-it-works

Note that Slimfast does not make any major claims for their products as regards diabetes blood sugar control except that it may help. They do not recommend its use by diabetics unless under medical supervision. But there may be some adventurous souls here.....

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Apparently, there has been reporting of reversal of Type 2 diabetes using the Cambridge 1:1 plan
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...ms-diet-treatment-lower-blood-sugar-remission

However, DUK seems to dismiss this claim. But then they would - they funded the Newcastle Diet that used Optifast shakes. Now Optifast (Aus) does not make any claims for diabetes control for their products so the circle is broken at the moment.

I am still trying to find a meal replacement diet plan that makes substantiated claims for this approach independent of the Newcastle study, which I consider to be overhyped.

Just to muddy the waters, Newcastle AC latest study DIRECT is using the Cambridge 1:1 shakes, but have prevented them from making any claims for their product, and ND is careful not to make the mistake of naming what shakes they use. Seems to suggest a commercial tie-up between them.

Edit to add: I am not aware of any connection between ND, DUK with Slimfast, which will allow for an indepedent source of info to compare. There are other meal replacement shake providers too.
Hi @Oldvatr
The Newcatle diet worked for me as advertised.using Optifast shakes for eight weeks it returned my my bg to normal levels,stopped all medication and lost 16kg.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s 4.4g of carbs per serving based on 200mls of cold water. @rogg
Hmmmm... Googled some stuff. There's an "original" formulation that is 18g carb (14g net). There's an "Advanced High protein" which is 7g/2g/. The Keto is 9g/7g. The diabetic is 10g/9g. So ironically the keto is higher in carb and net carb than the "high protein". The instructions for all of them (I think) suggest milk, which of course boosts the carb count.

Edit: I'm probably wrong about the keto version. The label on their website doesn't list sugar alcohols, but the ingredients list includes erythritol. So I cant say what the net carb is.

Last edited:

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmmm... Googled some stuff. There's an "original" formulation that is 18g carb (14g net). There's an "Advanced High protein" which is 7g/2g/. The Keto is 9g/7g. The diabetic is 10g/9g. So ironically the keto is higher in carb and net carb than the "high protein". The instructions for all of them (I think) suggest milk, which of course boosts the carb count.

Edit: I'm probably wrong about the keto version. The label on their website doesn't list sugar alcohols, but the ingredients list includes erythritol. So I cant say what the net carb is.

I bought a tub of Slim Fast Keto Shake on Saturday. I didn't know that it existed, until I saw it in the "oops" section of sainsburys, with a dent in the side of the tin and a bargain price. The chocolate flavour has 3.8g carb per serving, and recommends that it is mixed with water. I haven't tried it yet - will report back later today when I do. However, I do like to make protein powder pancakes, so nutritionally it seems like a good option.

Reactions: Roggg