Safety shoes

Slappy

Hello everyone,
My place of work are more or less insisting I wear steel toe cap safety shoes but I'm refusing as they cause me to get blisters most of the time. Do they have this right? It seems a very ignorant approach from their side. I work at a desk in a warehouse packing orders and it's very unlikely I'd drop anything heavy on my feet. Hope you can help. Thanks, nic.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,
My place of work are more or less insisting I wear steel toe cap safety shoes but I'm refusing as they cause me to get blisters most of the time. Do they have this right? It seems a very ignorant approach from their side. I work at a desk in a warehouse packing orders and it's very unlikely I'd drop anything heavy on my feet. Hope you can help. Thanks, nic.

Hi,

Some places of work needing to supply PPE can go for the pretty basic in order to comply with health & safety.
It is a good idea to wear them.
To be fair, I bought my my own from a local "factory discount" place. Some Trade safe trainer style aNti-static hard toe shoes.
I was on my feet alday & working in production engineering at the time mainly with blootooth controllers for some heavy units.
Reasonable price & surprisingly comfy.

Some employers might "subsidy" a compliant safety shoe if you have issue with your feet? I know at the company I was at the time they even funded prescription safety goggle lenses too?

Might be worth asking. It's worth protecting your toes..

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There should be a pair or a brand out there that suits you though: I used to wear safety boots at work and steel-toed Doc Martens for school and going out- didn't feel right in shoes, much less trainers. Could you get away with some Docs or Timberlands at work? They might be more comfy.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi,
Is there an appointed safety rep? This is something that should be brought to their attention. I know it's difficult as lots of ppe is available in a catalogue or on line, and you can't try shoes/boots on, can you request different sizes and styles to try on?
Also there may be a specified list approved by companies as it complies with certain criteria (and cost).

Under H&S at Work act
It's a requirement by law to protect employees and others from harm...
Employer shall ensure that suitable PPE is provided to employees who may be exposed to a risk to their health or safety...
Except where risk is adequately controlled...

Personally I hope you find a shoe/trainer/boot that is comfortable, or the risk to injury can be adequately controlled?
Good luck

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,
I think their counter could easily be that they are protecting you from risk by providing the safety boots. It doesn't seem an ignorant approach to me, the whole point is to reduce risk to as low as reasonably practical and you said unlikely, that means there is a possibility.

I do wonder legally what happens if you refuse the protection offered and you hurt yourself.

It look from the other direction, something heavy drops on your foot, your diabetes hinders healing, the company didn't protect you via PPE...

So, rather than refusing, what have you done in respect to compromise? Some shoes give you blisters. But there are many different types of shoes/boots/trainers that may work better. Explain the issue, and look to what will work

Does your company have occupational health? Potentially they could get involved

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hello everyone,

The blisters can come with any shoe mostly in the first week or so until the bed in

At work as I work on a hazchem site I have to wear safety shoe all day

What you will find is the area that get the blister the skin will toughen and you’ll no long get blisters

If it’s a requirement of the job to have PPE then you can’t refuse it… or the can refuse to allow you to enter the site

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Where I used to work we had to wear safety shoes which they would provide, but you could get others if they were the same cost or if you were happy to pay any extra. Might be worth asking if you could choose some others.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it’s a requirement of the job to have PPE then you can’t refuse it… or the can refuse to allow you to enter the site

It was a requirement on one site i was working to wear ear defenders too.
As I also am involved with live music, I wore my own. The ones supplied cut the db but muffled the sound. Mine just cut the db entering the ear canal.
I was pulled aside & questoned on them by an operations manager initially he the ought they were just stereo ear buds?

They can be hot on the PPE. They don't wish for any comeback.

I've been glad of my toe caps, there can be the odd brush with a pallet truck no matter how diligent things are.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr B has to wear safety boots for work. Very sensible.

Unfortunately the ones provided by his employer were so cheap and nasty that they were cracking with 3-4 months.
I splurged on a pair of Dr Martens for him one Xmas (he thought it was hilarious I had bought him work boots when work would provide them) :D

but a few weeks later I asked how they were suiting, and he replied ‘best boots ever. I will never wear anything else.’
And 4 years later he is still wearing them, and they look better than the cheap rubbish ones did after 2 months.

So really, there is a safety boot out there that will suit you, you just have to find it.
If your place of work requires safety boots, then going without isn’t an option for all sorts of health and safety reasons.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hello everyone,

As far as I can see you have to wear safety boots if they are mandated for your work area after a risk analysis.

However you could push a case for better quality boots by flagging that you are diabetic and so have to take extra care of your feet.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My employees buy there own safety boots / shoes, as I do not supply them under their work agreement.

Companies that do supply safety footwear, have a disclaimer that you make sure you have the right fitting to prevent foot injuries including blisters.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wore safety shoes to work for years - but we were carefully fitted for them and they were good quality - they were comfortable too.
If your employers want you to wear safety boots or shoes then they ought to ensure that they are well fitting as causing blisters can be as dangerous as injury.
Maybe speak to your manager or whoever is pressuring you to wear the boots and tell them that you've had problems so maybe they will refund or at least partly pay the cost if you get some properly fitted boots.
You are not going to 'wear in' steel toecaps - it is far more likely that they will wreck your feet if they do not fit from first try on.

Slappy

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies..I searched online and to search for boots with the best reviews and ended up with the Timberland brand..they had a composite toe cap and supportive insole, heavy but pretty comfy and my company paid for them even though they were expensive. Once again, thanks for your input..much appreciated

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone and thanks for the replies..I searched online and to search for boots with the best reviews and ended up with the Timberland brand..they had a composite toe cap and supportive insole, heavy but pretty comfy and my company paid for them even though they were expensive. Once again, thanks for your input..much appreciated
I'm glad they saw sense - cheap shoes can be more expensive long term than good quality - I still have the last pair of steel toe cap soles I was issued with somewhere - they are over 40 years old and have been worn over the year for various odd jobs.
The company retained the old pairs for quality check and risk assessment, seeing how close any damage came to the non protected part of the foot.

anubhavkishan

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I actually feel that they are not being ignorant to you. But their main idea seems protective. The company is actually being protective towards their employees that no one would get hurt in any accidental situations.

If you are feeling uncomfortable or having an issue with your feet causing hurt like blisters, I think you better talk with your manager or the one who is providing safety shoes for you about the issue you are facing wearing the safety shoes. They could replace them with the ones those are comfortable to you. Nowadays composite material safety toe caps are available that replaces the heavy steel toe caps which are heavy. Ultimately composite safety toecaps make the shoe lighter and more comfortable. You may also consider breathable inner lining material for your safety which provide good ventilation. Next time you buy a pair of safety shoes give it a try on new technology.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am required to wear safety boots when I'm working outside even though all I'm doing is identifying plants and occasionally collecting plant specimens as "vouchers". I'm pretty sure my workplace has the right to impose this requirement even though I think it's a bit silly. I do not wear the work recommended boots though. Because my feet are wide I purchase my own boots, which we're allowed to do as long as they're steel-capped. The brand that fits me best are Oliver because I can get a style that is wider. They also come have safety boots that are completely free from steel -- the caps and everything else on them are hard plastic but I haven't been able to convince work that I can wear these yet. I don't mind though because as long as the boots are wide and fit me properly I'm fine with them. I'm sure there are many other brands that come in wide styles as well but Oliver are easy to buy in my country and as they fit me well I haven't done a lot of looking around. The only problem with my Oliver boots is that they've changed whatever they make the sole out of and I find my new pair to be more slippery than my last pair. Edit: when I am wearing my boots I wear thick socks made from bamboo which I find very comfortable