What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The DGF Coconut & raspberry are delicious. My new favourite. I managed to claim 2 boxes on the Facebook group on Monday.
They were sold out at 1 min past 7 last week. However I managed to order a box on Friday and thought I might do a small piece with some greek yoghurt (not cream) & raspberries for a healthier spring/summer breakfast for a change and eh I have ordered a box of notella too and I will be having not so healthy cream with those ones. Honestly, at the moment these are like my "fix" I can't wait for Tuesday for them to arrive they really cheer me up these days (I am still job hunting ...). Did you just have yours with a cuppa or any other ideas?

Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brave ape peanut butter porridge with 3 strawberries, lunch: 2x seeded crackers( homemade) with ham & cheese, 1 pack cheesies and a kind dark choc and almond bar. Tea: steak and salad, 1x grenade chocolate brownie carb killa bar.
The porridge sounds nice. Are you in uk - where do you buy the keto slim fast drinks?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tip: Make sure you spear all of the cherry tomatoes before cooking on high in a microwave, there are more seeds in one than stars in the sky. Hard to clean off as well :arghh:
Thanks, this sounds like very useful advice! Still, makes me laugh, as the inside of my microwave knows all about similar mistakes :sorry:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 bratwurst sausages. 1 fried egg. Mug of earl grey tea.

Dinner - Prawn cocktail & chilli salmon with large salad. Greenade killa bar salted caramel one I think. Mug of earl grey tea

Enjoyed the last of the lovely weather we have been having by going on a long socially distanced walk with a couple of friends. I think it's to rain next week...

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Brunch: Scrambled Eggs and Bacon
Snacks: 2 x Almonds (6)
Instant Coffee: 4 with drop of skim milk and Equal Sweetener
2 x Diet Lemonade (no carbs)
1 x Coffee Barista skim milk with Equal
Dinner: Cheese and Salami with Water Crackers

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday’s food.
Sunday brunch of scrambled eggs, smoked salmon and avocado ( which had unappetising crunchy bits in)
Main meal, mid afternoon was slow roast lamb shoulder. It had been marinating since yesterday in fresh herbs, garlic, lemon, olive oil and white wine. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-roasted-shoulder-lamb/amp Smelled wonderful all day, wish I could post a scratch and sniff link to the smell. Cabbage and broccoli with it.
@Riva_Roxaban I feel your pain! I’ve done similar things on many occasions. Not with Cherry toms, though so thanks for the tip.

Newly diagnosed

The porridge sounds nice. Are you in uk - where do you buy the keto slim fast drinks?
Hi, I’m in the UK, the porridge is from a company called The Brave Ape. I’m not good at adding links sorry! The keto slimfast cones in a tub and from Boots, Superdrug, Tesco’s or Asda. I only get it when it’s on offer! And I usually have a shake at weekends to mix things up breakfast wise, I find i get too bored if the same thing that’s when I look to eat things that aren’t the best for me!

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: kedgeree made with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

Newly diagnosed

Brave Ape peanut butter porridge with raspberries,
Lunch: chicken salad, 1x bag pop chips, 1x fibre one bar.
Dinner: roast gammon, fried egg and salad, 1x dgf chocolate brownie.
30g portion of Brazil Nuts as still hungry!

Reactions: maglil55 and MrsA2

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A skipping breakfast day.
L: bit of ham, bit of blue cheese, few prawns, 6 olives , a tomato. 2 small pieces cauliflower cheese savoury. Ff greek with strawberries and blueberries

Popped into town and managed to get a haircut at the while you wait place, with no queue, and to get my new glasses adjusted. Life feeling normal.

Still hungry when I got home so 6 brazils and 2 sqs 100%.
Still hungry so a pack of pork crispy strips.

Not so hungry at dinner time ! Just nicked a bit if chicken while cooking for boys.
The at 8pm hungry again, I don't believe today. 30g blue cheese on cucumber slices, 3 strawberries and 4sqs 90%

Where has my satiety and self control gone?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Early start today so breakfast was @Rachox ‘s beloved DD coconut porridge topped with raspberries and cream.
Late lunch: tin of mackerel in olive oil with salad and kimchi followed by 0%fage Gk yog and a couple more raspberries.
Dinner: slow cooked beef short rib ( @Goonergal ‘s post on the real food thread yesterday reminded me I had some in the freezer) aSLC roll to mop up the juices ( hence this post not on the real food thread) red wine with it.
I have felt ridiculously hungry today, I sympathise @MrsA2 was your decision to skip breakfast deliberate? I skip breakfast about 5 times a week and Im usually fine with just black coffee, sometimes it’s just not enough though.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Short rib sounds good @DJC3

Today’s menu was lunch of pork belly pieces coated in chilli oil and salt and air fried.
Dinner was an impromptu Nando’s. Went out for a walk. Glorious sun and warmth so got a take out and sat outside to eat. 2 thighs (2 left for another day), Halloumi and those dratted nuts that keep finding their way into my bag.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Newly diagnosed

Brave ape peanut porridge with raspberries, lunch: 2x homemade crackers, 2 slices of leftover gammon with 2 slices of smoked cheese, 1x dark choc nut kind bar.
Dinner: Chilli, salt& pepper chicken thighs with stir fry pepper, onion and courgette, with a handful of cashew nuts on top. 2x dgf brookies! ( so good)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: chicken supreme with courgette, broccoli and carrot followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another bad nights sleep, leading to eating the following:

Breakfast; Hi lo toast with butter, home made granola with almond milk
Lunch: chicken salad, one dessert spoon of potato salad.
Dinner: bacon sandwich with a SLC teacake. Fibre one bar and a lemon posset made with 'fake sugar'
Caffine free coke, packet of salt and vinegar quavers.
An uninspiring food day.....

Trying out a new recipe tomorrow - Prosciutto wrapped chicken in a sage butter sauce. Annoyingly, have to trek to Morrisons for two ingredients I forgot on my online shop which aren't in the village co op either. Also, need to visit Sainsburys soon for more Hi lo bread as no one else stocks it. Managed to get two loaves last time by scrabbling on hand and knees to get to back of shelf! At this rate I'll be visiting a Supermarket a day

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Newly diagnosed I often skip breakfast as I usually have an exercise class in the morning and that keeps me occupied and out of the kitchen until lunch.
I cant seem to work out which eating regime suits my bg so I try to mix it up a bit. I never eat after 6pm though.

Today I woke hungry and early so had 2 scrambled eggs and some ff yoghurt with seeds and strawberries. About 2 hours later I had nut bar.

Didn't really lunch but did have a couple of bites of salami and a small handful nuts

D: fathead pizza with prawns and olives. 1 small glass rose to finish the bottle opened on Friday 2 sqs 90% Godiva. That chocolate tastes so unlike any other very dark I'm sure it must have ingredients which aren't listed. Its far too easy to eat the whole thing in one go, which I couldn't even imagine with my usual lidl 85% or lindt 90%

BTW, have now got my son and hubby on fathead pizzas as have scaled the recipe up to use a whole bag of mozzarella and it can make 3 individual pizzas, although I do think I should keep the extras frozen for myself, but when you look in the fridge and find only low carb ingredients and nothing for the 'carb-eaters' its just as well they like them. We are out of salad too. Provisioning went a bit awry this week.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where has my satiety and self control gone?

I don’t know if you’re looking for advice/ suggestions @MrsA2, but for what it’s worth, I do have some thoughts based on my own experiences. Everyone has their own appetite etc., but looking on from afar, I definitely wouldn’t feel satiated by many of the meal plans you post and I think it comes down to the difference between satiety and satisfaction.

What I mean by that is that some of the very tasty low carb ‘treats’ (and I include double cream and nuts in that) are very, very satisfying from a taste and texture point of view, but provide very little actual satiety in terms of staying full (at least for me).

Since totally eliminating these things (apart from the Nando’s nuts aberrations), it’s been really clear that I’m fuller for longer. And with the added bonus for someone with food addiction issues, reduction in cravings. The nut aberrations serve only to drive the point home to me.

Now, I’m not suggesting that what works for me will work for everyone, but these ideas might be something to think about and experiment with.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Newly diagnosed

@Newly diagnosed I often skip breakfast as I usually have an exercise class in the morning and that keeps me occupied and out of the kitchen until lunch.
I cant seem to work out which eating regime suits my bg so I try to mix it up a bit. I never eat after 6pm though.

Today I woke hungry and early so had 2 scrambled eggs and some ff yoghurt with seeds and strawberries. About 2 hours later I had nut bar.

Didn't really lunch but did have a couple of bites of salami and a small handful nuts

D: fathead pizza with prawns and olives. 1 small glass rose to finish the bottle opened on Friday 2 sqs 90% Godiva. That chocolate tastes so unlike any other very dark I'm sure it must have ingredients which aren't listed. Its far too easy to eat the whole thing in one go, which I couldn't even imagine with my usual lidl 85% or lindt 90%

BTW, have now got my son and hubby on fathead pizzas as have scaled the recipe up to use a whole bag of mozzarella and it can make 3 individual pizzas, although I do think I should keep the extras frozen for myself, but when you look in the fridge and find only low carb ingredients and nothing for the 'carb-eaters' its just as well they like them. We are out of salad too. Provisioning went a bit awry this week.
Hi @MrsA2 , I always have breakfast as I’m working through lunch, ( school cook) so I have breakfast then I split my lunch in 2 and have 1/2 at 11:30 the other 1/2 after food service at around 1:45. Luckily I have a good boss who lets me take a few mins to eat at 11:30! I panicked after diagnosis that I wouldn’t be able to do this at work, but it’s just become the normal now! Eating lunch in two sittings doesn’t seem to raise my blood sugars so it seems to work for me so that’s a bonus!

Reactions: DJC3

Newly diagnosed

Hi @MrsA2 , I always have breakfast as I’m working through lunch, ( school cook) so I have breakfast then I split my lunch in 2 and have 1/2 at 11:30 the other 1/2 after food service at around 1:45. Luckily I have a good boss who lets me take a few mins to eat at 11:30! I panicked after diagnosis that I wouldn’t be able to do this at work, but it’s just become the normal now! Eating lunch in two sittings doesn’t seem to raise my blood sugars so it seems to work for me so that’s a bonus!
I should also mention Im in charge of all the baking that happens in the school so bread/cakes/biscuits all the sweet stuff! Not sure if it’s ironic being a diabetic baker! makes me giggle! So breakfast definitely helps in stopping me reaching for the sweet stuff!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A quick question for the knowledgable cooks on here ( looking at you @maglil55 )
If I’m using aubergine as a substitute for potatoes in a layered dish like lasagne ( in this case it’s a haddock and Jarlsberg gratin) should I bake the aubergine slices on their own first or will it be ok just to slice and layer them in the dish raw?
TIA